Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Avatars. This is my obligatory 'How I Pimped the Game' thread.

I use color as a mnemonic, so the fact I could have a character with a different color than their Mastery was a big problem for me. I needed the Mastery, the Avatar color and their Dice to match. I also really wanted to reduce the table space. I play solo and thus play with multiple avatars, and fully equipped heroes in the late game is a table hog.

Step (1) was getting colored dice in the 16mm and 12mm sizes. This was pretty easy, dice are plentiful in this bountiful land.

Step (2) was finding some painted minis which would speak to me thematically and emphasize the desired color. Turns out the 'Pathfinder Iconic Hero Pack' was pre-painted and had pretty much exactly the right colors, with the only exception being that Seoni is more Orange than Yellow. Added a 'Runelord Sorshen' mini to get the Red color and that's all done.

Step (3) was to replace the (admittedly prettier) crystals with 8mm transparent cubes. This saves sooo much space. I tried going with some plastic gem-like beads but they were just too small to grasp reliably. 8mm seems just about right and they don't roll around. Thanks Gamecrafter.

Step (4) had me replacing the Treasure and Fate decks with 1.5 inch square tiles. These are 0.8mm wooden squares and I spray-mounted them front and back with printed iconography and descriptive text. The treasure tile has an icon for the treasure type on the back and the Fate tiles are double-sided (blessing and curse on a side). These are intended to be blind drawn from a bag and stored on the player mat. At 1.5 inches, its much smaller than the cards.

Step (5) had me making player mats with art from the pathfinder characters, and combining several of the Masteries for a given color into a single character. I made spaces on the mat to hold equipment & fate tokens, life counters and soul-shards. I tried to balance the masteries, but will have to see what play-testing tells me. I can always make the shadows tougher if need be.

Step (6) is a similar upgrade for the Shadows. Got 6 mean looking shadowy minis (all Pathfinder derived) and made small mats to keep track of their life tokens as they roam around. Xulthul is hanging around in the back.

Step (7) is a monster mat for the random creature encounters. I have a few leftover 1.5mm squares which will have the stats for each Power level and will go here, right above the life/wound spaces. I often forget to apply the bonus CR and wounds with the creature generator board, so hopefully a tile showing the current stats right beside the abilities will keep it front in my brain. Since I had some extra space, I threw down a terrain / radiance reference as well.

And here are the 6 avatars laid out on my tiny table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great pimping! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
Still this pulsing night. A plague I call a heartbeat. Just be still with me. Ya wouldn't believe what I've been thru ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea to reduce the footprint ... and looks good to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantastic! If you are willing to share your board layouts as a template I, for one, would love to create my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.