BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Bed Rest Boredom Busters -- 4 more months requires new games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Help!! 4 more months of pregnancy bed rest and I'm itching for something new to add to our game rotation to keep from going out of my mind!

Requirements:
Must play well as 2 players, as we don't often have other couples to play with. We live in our RV full time so size is of some important consideration, but will not completely rule out a game based on size alone.

We already own:
Dominion: base + Prosperity -- a go to favorite for both of us nightly, unsure what expansion to go for next.
Jaipur - Fun, fast play
Star Realms - husband loves and I'll play but don't love it.
Carcassonne -- hardly reach for it - not sure why.
Citadels w/ expansion -- a favorite but only with more than 2.
Ticket To Ride + 1910 + Europe -- I love this series, my husband tolerates it.
Race For The Galaxy - growing on me, but not a favorite yet. most definitely my husbands favorite.
Catan Card Game -- growing on me, but rarely reach for it.
Five Crowns - a favorite with a crowd.
Settlers of Catan + multiple expansions - enjoyed this, but haven't played much as its in storage
Pandemic - have only rarely played. I'm not a co-op fan.
Spycraft card game - enjoyed this as our first game but rarely reach for it these days (thought it was in storage actually)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might pick up a Rage deck, there are lots of things you can play. Two of our favorites are Schotten Totten and Parade

Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!

You might also have fun with a Decktet deck (we enjoy Magnate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Have a look at 7 Wonders: Duel.

And it has an expansion coming out shortly.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For more fun and fast play for 2 that should defenitely be suitable for a RV I'd start with Patchwork. If you guys like Jaipur a lot I think Jambo would be a really good fit too

If you'd like to add a small, quick and cheap dice game to your collection I'd look into Doodle City or the new edition Doodle China which includes an expansion/new type of city. Doodle City plays 2-4 out of the box, I've played with 5 as well with no issues.

Some other cheap two player only games in a small box would be Targi and Akrotiri, both are games you'd expect to come in bigger boxes as they are games with quite a lot of options ^^

I discovered OddVille a while back, which plays 2-4 players and is fun at all player counts. Plays quickly and has good replayability mostly due to not all special characters being used in 2 or 3 player games, but also the variety of buildings and bonuses.

While I don't think it's at its best with just two players, I will gladly play La Isla at any player count and would recommend you to check it out. I love the multiuse cards, they are really fun (each card can be used in 3 ways and each round you get 3 cards and have to pick a different way to use each one). It also plays quickly due to mostly playing simultaneously (nd doesn't take up much room on your table. With 3-4 players there is more direct competition, with 2 players it depends on your playing style if it's more solitaire or more agressive (the random setup of the board in each game might also favor one way or the other).

Most of the other games I really like playing with 2 take up a lot of room with big boards and such, so are probably not the best suggestions.

Oh and as an afterthought: Another quick 2 player game that requires very little room and that people often recommend is Mr. Jack Pocket, but I haven't played that one in a long time. I did play Noir: Killer vs Inspector on BoardGameArena a lot, which is kinda similar. If you guys like deduction it might be good to look into one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Fields of Arle (solo playable) and Twilight Struggle. With those two your pregnancy will zip in no time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally missed the RV part, though shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium. Plays great at 2, small box, interesting, deep gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congratulation are in order for you are expecting a little bundle of joy

I second Patchwork for a good 2 player game, you could try sushi go it is also a good 2 player or sushi go party if you want a game that could be played with more than 4 people.

Lotus is not to bad with 2 people but really I just love the artwork.

Twilight Struggle is a really good 2 player game and it is not a quick one so if you are looking for something with more meat that's a good pick.

Marvel's Dice Masters is a fun 2 player game.

You can also check out the Dice Tower on YouTube, they have a few top 10 videos on the best 2 player games and games that are best with 2 players.

Again congrats, and I hope everything works out well and that you have a healthy baby!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Crescent City
Northern California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys like Dominion you might look at Paperback. Fun game that comes in a nice small box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleline
Lost cities
Morels
Red7
Glen more
Saint Petersburg
Mottainai
Arboretum

I'll second...

Patchwork
Targi
Mr Jack
7 wonders duel
Jambo (if you can find it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is lots of fun and has a tiny box. Some don't like it with just two, but I think it's great that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Five Tribes
Splendor
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
7 Wonders Duel
San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
If you're looking to fill four months of bed rest you need to think big. You need to join the French army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
Blokus
Can't Stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I totally forgot about Splendor and maybe instead of Bloku you might like Gemblo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into blasting aliens, Forlorn: Hope from VPG is very petite. The board is just an 8.5x11 sheet of cardstock. Works with 1 or 2 players. One player takes control of the alien side in head-to-head play.

http://www.victorypointgames.com/forlorn-hope.html

Tiny Epic Galaxies is one of my favorites for a quick space civ game. 1-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
indigopotter wrote:
You might pick up a Rage deck, there are lots of things you can play. Two of our favorites are Schotten Totten and Parade

Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!

You might also have fun with a Decktet deck (we enjoy Magnate).

Thanks for the ideas! We've added Shotten Totten to the list for up next to buy and are researching the others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
YAKOBU wrote:

Have a look at 7 Wonders: Duel.

And it has an expansion coming out shortly.

Rob

Thanks for this idea! It's a definite on the up next to buy list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
YourLoveOnly wrote:
For more fun and fast play for 2 that should defenitely be suitable for a RV I'd start with Patchwork. If you guys like Jaipur a lot I think Jambo would be a really good fit too

If you'd like to add a small, quick and cheap dice game to your collection I'd look into Doodle City or the new edition Doodle China which includes an expansion/new type of city. Doodle City plays 2-4 out of the box, I've played with 5 as well with no issues.

Some other cheap two player only games in a small box would be Targi and Akrotiri, both are games you'd expect to come in bigger boxes as they are games with quite a lot of options ^^

I discovered OddVille a while back, which plays 2-4 players and is fun at all player counts. Plays quickly and has good replayability mostly due to not all special characters being used in 2 or 3 player games, but also the variety of buildings and bonuses.

While I don't think it's at its best with just two players, I will gladly play La Isla at any player count and would recommend you to check it out. I love the multiuse cards, they are really fun (each card can be used in 3 ways and each round you get 3 cards and have to pick a different way to use each one). It also plays quickly due to mostly playing simultaneously (nd doesn't take up much room on your table. With 3-4 players there is more direct competition, with 2 players it depends on your playing style if it's more solitaire or more agressive (the random setup of the board in each game might also favor one way or the other).

Most of the other games I really like playing with 2 take up a lot of room with big boards and such, so are probably not the best suggestions.

Oh and as an afterthought: Another quick 2 player game that requires very little room and that people often recommend is Mr. Jack Pocket, but I haven't played that one in a long time. I did play Noir: Killer vs Inspector on BoardGameArena a lot, which is kinda similar. If you guys like deduction it might be good to look into one of those.

Thanks for all these ideas! I'd previously dismissed Patchwork but after giving it another look with a good review video it's been added to our up next to buy list to give it a shot. I think we'll have to "pimp it out" like the reviewer mentioned with real buttons though, lol. I've added the others you mentioned to my research list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
AlexFS wrote:
I would recommend Fields of Arle (solo playable) and Twilight Struggle. With those two your pregnancy will zip in no time

Thanks for these! I've added these to my definite possibility research further list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
AlexFS wrote:
Totally missed the RV part, though shake

LOL for the right game, we will adapt our space! We can always borrow the kitchen table at my parents' house, but we travel with a 6' folding table specifically for board gaming needs if the situation presents, and get creative with storage if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Quantum_Jack wrote:
Spyrium. Plays great at 2, small box, interesting, deep gameplay.

Thanks for this! I've added it to my research further list! It looks quite enjoyable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
TheSpiceOfLife wrote:
Congratulation are in order for you are expecting a little bundle of joy

I second Patchwork for a good 2 player game, you could try sushi go it is also a good 2 player or sushi go party if you want a game that could be played with more than 4 people.

Lotus is not to bad with 2 people but really I just love the artwork.

Twilight Struggle is a really good 2 player game and it is not a quick one so if you are looking for something with more meat that's a good pick.

Marvel's Dice Masters is a fun 2 player game.

You can also check out the Dice Tower on YouTube, they have a few top 10 videos on the best 2 player games and games that are best with 2 players.

Again congrats, and I hope everything works out well and that you have a healthy baby!meeple

Thank you very much! This is #3 for us and our last probably as the pregnancies are quite challenging especially with months on end of bedrest, but at least it is an excuse for games.

I gave Patchwork a 2nd look thanks to your recommendation and another and it's definitely added to our list! I'm going to research the others further but I suspect at least a couple will also make our list. - Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rev Robbo 1 wrote:
If you guys like Dominion you might look at Paperback. Fun game that comes in a nice small box.

This looks quite interesting and I'd previously dismissed but is now on our list! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat and Travis H
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Battleline
Lost cities
Morels
Red7
Glen more
Saint Petersburg
Mottainai
Arboretum

I'll second...

Patchwork
Targi
Mr Jack
7 wonders duel
Jambo (if you can find it)

So many to consider here! I've added these to my research list and as I noted above we've already added 7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork to our definite list! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.