Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an easy and fun way to play X-Wing Miniatures solo? Maybe there are official rules? Or great variants users have created?

I read where someone put down obstacles and simply flew around them, trying to hit stationary targets...

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No official solo rules, but there are two great user-created options.

1 - If you have enough ships, this co-op campaign can be played solo flying two or three rebel ships. It is very well designed and super fun to play.

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

2 - There is a web-based app you can download and then open with your web browser that will automate the enemy ships for you (either rebels or imperial). It works exceedingly well and is a blast to play against.

Web based applet for X-Wing AI

http://xwing.runbam.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even just playing against yourself can work. I mean you will win and lose but it will be good just to help you with movement practice, learning what your ships can and cannot do.

It's really just not much of a solo game when it comes down to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wings Of Glory (A Similar Game) has a solo play mode where the enemy planes have a deck of cards(More or less random) with there moves on, Maybe someone could make a version of that for X-Wing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Herreros
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware of the campaign, will try it. Thanks!!

I did use for a period the web AI but I didn't really enjoy it, too repetitive and obviously it doesn't consider upgrades and teamwork (maybe it does now, haven't used in a long time).
Flying in formation is a key and enjoyable part of the game.

So what I do instead is play both sides, which has the issue of the secret planning.
Most of the times it's not a big issue at all since there are clearly good movements and you never know exactly (especially if you do it quickly) where every ship will end up.

I always plan first the side with most ships and by the time I do the other side if you do it quickly you don't recall all your choices (I still put the dials face down after each choice).

In dramatic moments when there are key choices, I just think about 3 plausible maneuvers and roll an attack dice, blank means I do the more conservative one, hit for the aggressive one and critical for the most risky/surprising one.
I roll once for ships in formation, which make it even faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gherreros wrote:
I wasn't aware of the campaign, will try it. Thanks!!

Do it. Do it. DO IT!!!

You can certainly run the campaign solo because the Imperial ships are all run by AI (artificial intelligence) cards. But what I find so compelling about the campaign is the story arcs. You're not just flying random missions, you're telling / expanding on a story.

If it's just for you, you could download the materials and print them on regular paper and use them that way. You don't have to invest a bunch of funds into making the materials look good if you don't want to. Even if you want to, what I did was fairly cheap. I printed the materials on full-page labels, stuck the labels to thick board (mat board like what you use to frame photographs that I had lying around), and cut them out.

Then I got excited and created magnetized turrets.

Bottom line is, the campaign is an awesome way to revitalize X-Wing, whether you play solo or with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.