Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get it Question is, are they playing Civilization, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, etc.; or are they designing their own?! The wording makes me think the latter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously not English class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing "Age" here refers to "Era/Time Period" as in Stone Age, Iron Age etc.

Could be fun.

What is this from (high school? college?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably rephrase:

Students will design a board game that demonstrates their understanding and knowledge of technology during their chosen time period of history.

I would see this more like Stone Age or Brass or Roll Through the Ages (Maybe even Indonesia or Power Grid) than something timeline spanning like Through the Ages.

You need to keep it to one time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

This is in a high school shop, where the semester project was Crokinole boards last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

This is in a high school shop, where the semester project was Crokinole boards last year.

That makes the sign even weirder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BankofDracula wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

That makes the sign even weirder.

Yerp +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Yeah, it's an interesting quote to say the least.

I know the shop teacher and he's generally working with kids that have little or no hands-on experience at all. In the prior two years he made Crokinole boards as projects and I have one of the boards from the first year, which isn't perfect appearance-wise but plays very nicely. Many of the boards from last year sit unfinished in a pile, still needing the outer rails to be attached to them. He explained to the kids they could likely sell them for $50 apiece if they finished them, but they didn't step up. So he has the rails, has the boards, they need an angle-trim and a coat of varnish (i.e., fifteen minutes of work) and then an overnight in his compression jig to attach them.

This is a shot from two years ago.

It appears this year he's taken a different tack -- create your own game and build it (at least that's what I'm taking away from the quote shown above. I need to talk to the teacher again and get more information. I stumbled across it while working with the local robotics team in the shop yesterday.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:

Students will design a board game that demonstrates their understanding and knowledge of technology during their chosen time period of history.

Except that the further detail suggests that the intended meaning was to craft a board game that demonstrates their understanding and knowledge suitable to their age level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Carthoris wrote:
zayzayem wrote:

Except that the further detail suggests that the intended meaning was to craft a board game that demonstrates their understanding and knowledge suitable to their age level.

Yeah, it's about building the game. This is a hands-on shop class, a very rare thing to find in a STEM high school by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
zayzayem wrote:

My issue is that when designing learning goals and benchmarks, one needs to use observable behaviors as the metric for mastery. So "demonstrating understanding" in general is not something one can measure.

"Students will be able to correctly represent appropriate technologies from their historical era in a board game." Off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
zayzayem wrote:

Yeah, it's about building the game. This is a hands-on shop class, a very rare thing to find in a STEM high school by the way.

Rare and beautiful. I am guessing that there is a subset of students who absolutely LOVE this class, regardless of how confusing the written directions on the board may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
zayzayem wrote:

It actually isn't all that rare.
We are a stem academy and we have a shop class.
The focus is more on C&C, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philreh wrote:

Rare and beautiful. I am guessing that there is a subset of students who absolutely LOVE this class, regardless of how confusing the written directions on the board may be.

You'd think that.
I teach video game design and a generous estimate of 60% of the students HATE the class because; it is hard, requires math, requires physics, and in general, is work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
zayzayem wrote:

My issue is that when designing learning goals and benchmarks, one needs to use observable behaviors as the metric for mastery. So "demonstrating understanding" in general is not something one can measure.

"Students will be able to correctly represent appropriate technologies from their historical era in a board game." Off the top of my head.

The thing is, unless you are a teacher motivated by those statements, they are very perfunctory and meaningless. Often they are ripped right out of the requirements specification for the class.

This is very similar to what many of my colleagues use for their "can do" statements. Many schools make them an accountable requirement without adequately training teachers on how to use them effectively.

As far as the student goal:

The learner will:
* Demonstrate knowledge of period construction through:
- selection of appropriate tools;
- and application of appropriate procedures in constructing an artifact.
* Produce an artifact to a client's specification.

If it was my class, I would further break down the objectives into specific elements (such as; select cutting tools, molding tools, finishing tools and apply rough cutting, shaping, adhesion, finishing) so that the students knew exactly how they would be graded on it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Bagherra wrote:

What does Command & Control have to do with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Bagherra wrote:

What does Command & Control have to do with it?

Ours is not this fancy, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.