Subject: Sailing and other actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished the prologue and during the course of the game we came across a question and I couldn't find it in the book.

How does sailing interact with other actions? If I have 3 sail, and it takes me 2 to reach an island, could I explore and then sail my remaining hex? If my other ship is there, after being a support ship, could I then have it sail its full movement? Or can I sail into my harbor, upgrade, and sail out, provided I have enough movement?

We ended up playing that sailing could be done before, after, or before and after another action, but weren't sure if we were doing it right (and since it was the prologue, it didn't make much of a difference). Only thing I could find was that if your ship sinks, your turn ends immediately, but nothing for a successful endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
srhall79 wrote:
How does sailing interact with other actions? If I have 3 sail, and it takes me 2 to reach an island, could I explore and then sail my remaining hex? If my other ship is there, after being a support ship, could I then have it sail its full movement? Or can I sail into my harbor, upgrade, and sail out, provided I have enough movement?
Sailing is distinct from other actions. You can do your Sail action and then your other X action, or you can do your other X action and then your Sail action. You cannot interleave them ("These [two chosen actions] can be done in either order", p. 13). Note that, at least with the starting rules, all endeavors and such only happen due to that "other action", and so you've moved from Sail to Raid or Explore or whatever.

What you can do, however, is sail Ship 1 to Ship 2, pass goods from Ship 1 to Ship 2 (assuming you are at land; see p. 9), and then sail Ship 2. That's all within a Sail action and so doesn't violate the above principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. When you take any action, you must complete that action in its entirety before taking another action.

The Sail action specifically stipulates that you may move your ships at the same time, or one at a time, your choice. The reasons you may want to move them one at a time include "having a chance to transfer goods from one to another".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses. I couldn't find that bit on actions while looking, and we'd been playing other games that did allow a move to be interrupted with an action. Glad to have it clear before we start the first real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.