12 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Rules

Subject: More random questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does it take a full turn to build "buildings" just like add-ons and tech?

Am I correct in thinking there is almost nothing that can be done about upgrades short of the very few cards that explicitly state they effect an upgrade? They feels super powerful and almost impossible to deal with. Am I missing something?

Can assimilate steal add-ons or tech buildings?

What happens if I Mind Control a unit which has that might of the panda enchantment on it? I ask because the enchantment says "attached creatures gets +2+2 and +1 gold etc" but then on a separate line "healing 1." This kinda makes me think that the buff has healing 1, not the creature. But who owns the buff, me or the original owner?

Does resist effect friendly spells?

Does hotter fire effect friendly fire damage? (Musketeer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Does it take a full turn to build "buildings" just like add-ons and tech?
No. Any card with type "Building" takes effect as soon as you play it. Note, though, that with the Buildings that have an ability with tap exhaust in the cost, you can't play that ability until the building loses summoning sickness arrival fatigue.

VirtualAlex wrote:
Am I correct in thinking there is almost nothing that can be done about upgrades short of the very few cards that explicitly state they effect an upgrade? They feels super powerful and almost impossible to deal with. Am I missing something?
Most monocolours have something they can do about upgrades. Nature Reclaims and Potent Basilisk in green, Reputable Newsman in blue, Versatile Style in white, and Assimilate in purple. Red has Detonate which works on building cards but not upgrades.

But there aren't many upgrades, and most of them are starter-deck cards. Things like Bloodburn and Safe Attacking, for which the solution is just "make bigger units than the opponent". Which upgrades are you worried about?

VirtualAlex wrote:
Can assimilate steal add-ons or tech buildings?
No. It says "building card (not add-on)". Add-ons and tech buildings aren't cards.

VirtualAlex wrote:
What happens if I Mind Control a unit which has that might of the panda enchantment on it? I ask because the enchantment says "attached creatures gets +2+2 and +1 gold etc" but then on a separate line "healing 1." This kinda makes me think that the buff has healing 1, not the creature. But who owns the buff, me or the original owner?
Fun question! I think the original owner still gets the healing 1, but I'm not completely sure about this one.

VirtualAlex wrote:
Does resist effect friendly spells?
No. "Resist X" means "Opponents must pay X each time they would target this with a spell or ability."

VirtualAlex wrote:
Does hotter fire effect friendly fire damage? (Musketeer)
Yes. Be careful when playing with fire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The controller of the spell, regardless of who control the creature get the healing and the gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
But there aren't many upgrades, and most of them are starter-deck cards. Things like Bloodburn and Safe Attacking, for which the solution is just "make bigger units than the opponent". Which upgrades are you worried about?

Probably the most fearsome-looking individual upgrade is Might of Leaf and Claw. Which, yeah, is a game-winning card. Even if you're playing as one of those colors with an answer for upgrades, if your Growth-spec opponent plays this into a good situation (i.e. one where they have a lot of units out), they've probably won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Culvert
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
alextfish wrote:

Honestly, Battle Suits can be absolutely devastating. In Mono-purple it gives a lot of Purple units far more value for their expensive cost, and if you have a combination with Peace which has 85% Soldier units (including the Tokens that Onimaru could potentially summon) it is a huge factor you have to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SergeEXE wrote:
alextfish wrote:

Honestly, Battle Suits can be absolutely devastating. In Mono-purple it gives a lot of Purple units far more value for their expensive cost, and if you have a combination with Peace which has 85% Soldier units (including the Tokens that Onimaru could potentially summon) it is a huge factor you have to deal with.

Battle Suits does not affect Onimaru's (or any) token units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
SergeEXE wrote:

Battle Suits does not affect Onimaru's (or any) token units.

This is correct: Tokens are unaffected by Battle Suits. Still, LOTS of Peace units are the Soldier type, so Battle Suits are a great upgrade if you are running some sort of Purple (Past) and Peace combo.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
VirtualAlex wrote:

What happens if I Mind Control a unit which has that might of the panda enchantment on it?

You get to find out just how deep the rabbit hole for Codex rules and rulings is.

Here's the discussion of how the rules reference database was incorrect, confirmed by Codex's primary rules guy: http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/rules-questions-thread/146/1...?

What actually happens (to the best of my understanding) is that
The UNIT gains +2/+2 and Attacks: Gain:1. Meaning that the UNIT's controller gets the gold when it attacks. But the Attachment itself grants Healing : 1. Meaning that the ATTACHMENT's controller gets the benefit of Healing.

So if you use Mind Control, Kidnapping or Ogre Recruiter to gain control of an opposing Unit with an opposing Spirit of the Panda (or if an opponent just attaches Spirit of the Panda to one of your units) then you have control of the unit, which retains the stat boosts and YOU get the gold when it attacks. However the previous controller of Spririt of the Panda (not YOU) retains control of the Attachment and therefore gets the benefit of Healing : 1 during their upkeep. If instead you use Assimilate to gain control of an opposing Spirit of the Panda on an opposing unit, then that opponent retains control of the unit, and therefore still gets the gold when the unit attacks, but YOU now benefit from the Healing : 1 during your upkeep.

Thus to get the all the benefits from an opposing Spirit of the Panda on an opposing unit you must use both an effect which gains control of the unit (Mind Control, Kidnapping, or Orge Recruiter) and an effect which gains control of the attachment (Assimilate).

And if that seems like overly complicated hair-splitting to meet the letter of rules for things which could very easily have been worded to result in much simpler interactions during the "ten years of playtesting" - welcome to the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
And if that seems like overly complicated hair-splitting to meet the letter of rules for things which could very easily have been worded to result in much simpler interactions during the "ten years of playtesting" - welcome to the club.

Actually, this one doesn't even fit that particular pattern to me. Seems the rule itself could just have been simplified for a simpler interaction: if you gain control of a unit, you gain control of its attachments. I can't think of a single other attachment that would be game-breaking (or honestly even impacted) if this were the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The buff could just be worded "Attached creature gains: +2+2, +1 Gold and Healing 1"

Anyway thanks for the explanation, it appears my assumption was correct. The original owner keeps the healing.

To answer a previous questions, the green Lead/Claw enchantment is the one I find the most fearsome. I was looking down at it in a game, I was blue, and thinking "hmmm there is no way I can beat that, it will go off next turn and I am just going to lose..." Which I am not really complaining about, but it just seems like there are very few ways to deal with that compared to any other super dangerous threats like huge creatures of buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
To answer a previous questions, the green Lead/Claw enchantment is the one I find the most fearsome. I was looking down at it in a game, I was blue, and thinking "hmmm there is no way I can beat that, it will go off next turn and I am just going to lose..." Which I am not really complaining about, but it just seems like there are very few ways to deal with that compared to any other super dangerous threats like huge creatures of buildings.

It's a good victory-cementing card. It takes 5 attacks to activate after playing it...if your Growth opponent is able to get in five attacks on you after Tech 2, and still have creatures available for follow-up attacks, yeah they're going to be set up for a pretty crazy run. As Blue you might want to be Injunctioning them to slow down their attacks, or attacking them with Flying stuff. Or put your Newsman out on "3" after Tech 2s come down.

One thing I really love about Codex are the different Power Curves of the specs, and learning how to disrupt them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah I am still learning what do pre-emptively do... Mostly we are all playing reactive games so we get blown-out by surprise insane plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.