Subject: help!!!!! i broke a few minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yesterday i sat on my battlefoam (i know im an idiot) and broke a few minis

will glue fix it permanently or they will fall off after a while? is it possible that games workshop customer service will be able to help me out?
any help will be appreciated!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
Plastic glue should help - something like Tamiya plastic cement or Deluxe Materials' Roket Plastic Glue (spelling is correct). You will probably end up with a seam line but the plastic will melt together (may have to touch up the paint work) and should hold until they next meet your posterior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiarcus wrote:
Plastic glue should help - something like Tamiya plastic cement or Deluxe Materials' Roket Plastic Glue (spelling is correct). You will probably end up with a seam line but the plastic will melt together (may have to touch up the paint work) and should hold until they next meet your posterior.

Yeah. At this stage, plastic glue is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quiarcus wrote:

thanks for the quick reply i will keep my posterior away from the minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Quiarcus wrote:

Yeah. At this stage, plastic glue is your friend.

kevin will the miniature hold with glue? i mean after a few years is there a posiiblility that the glued parts will fall off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think there's anything to worry about once you've got it glued. Should be as strong as any of the other bonds on the original parts you glued together to build them in the first place. As mentioned, It kind of "melts" the plastic, so should be no different when attaching broken parts. It's just a case of getting it to hold in the correct position while it "sets".

EDIT: that is, assuming there's no paint in the way and you're gluing plastic-to-plastic

You're probably an expert on gluing together fiddly/delicate bits anyway, after tackling some of the minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Don't think there's anything to worry about once you've got it glued. Should be as strong as any of the other bonds on the original parts you glued together to build them in the first place. As mentioned, It kind of "melts" the plastic, so should be no different when attaching broken parts. It's just a case of getting it to hold in the correct position while it "sets".

EDIT: that is, assuming there's no paint in the way and you're gluing plastic-to-plastic

You're probably an expert on gluing together fiddly/delicate bits anyway, after tackling some of the minis

thats good to hear ..in fact its the first time im gonna glue something and its nice to hear that it the mini will be restored to its original state

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kochis
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my acolytes broke at the sword arm elbow after my wife threw my painting project box in a cleaning frenzy. Plastic glue worked successfully. There was a seam leftover. I painted it with Bugman's Glow and now it looks like a wicked scar in the flesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ardos wrote:
One of my acolytes broke at the sword arm elbow after my wife threw my painting project box in a cleaning frenzy. Plastic glue worked successfully. There was a seam leftover. I painted it with Bugman's Glow and now it looks like a wicked scar in the flesh.

nice!!! super glue it is then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
Glad to help. If you use a dedicated plastic glue it will actually melt the material allowing it to run together. Once set (a few minutes at most) it becomes a single piece of plastic, just as strong as the original - assuming you have no paint or dirt in the mix.

EDIT: Just saw your last reply. Super glue will not fix the model as well as plastic glue and will remain fragile once set, allowing the miniature to break again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always use plastic glue with GW minis, my favorite is Revell Contacta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Always use plastic glue with GW minis, my favorite is Revell Contacta.

This. Plastic glue is the way to go, because it actually melts the pieces together. Superglue forms brittle bonds that are more likely to snap apart if the pieces aren't keyed. The two flat edges of a broken weapon won't hold for long with superglue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General.

I feel your pain though... we all do. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from News to General.

I feel your pain though... we all do. modest

lol. Sad news indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along those same lines I had commissioned a set of miniatures to be assembled and painted (I lack the time and skill for such things) and they turned out great except that the tenebrael shard mini arrived in the mail snapped off the base in transit. I tried unsuccessfully to super glue it back together. I am sure that I probably used too much glue. That was some time ago as I have been very busy-will there be a problem with residual super glue if I try to use plastic glue on it now? If so how should I prep the pieces or try to remove any residual super glue???
Thanks in advance everyone and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Along those same lines I had commissioned a set of miniatures to be assembled and painted (I lack the time and skill for such things) and they turned out great except that the tenebrael shard mini arrived in the mail snapped off the base in transit. I tried unsuccessfully to super glue it back together. I am sure that I probably used too much glue. That was some time ago as I have been very busy-will there be a problem with residual super glue if I try to use plastic glue on it now? If so how should I prep the pieces or try to remove any residual super glue???

Michael

Plastic glue needs good plastic to plastic contact.

I never had this situation, but you may be able to chip away the excess superglue, and I know there are various chemicals you can get to weaken or breakdown superglue. Failing that, you might be able to use an epoxy resin instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
michael4928 wrote:

Michael

Plastic glue needs good plastic to plastic contact.

I never had this situation, but you may be able to chip away the excess superglue, and I know there are various chemicals you can get to weaken or breakdown superglue. Failing that, you might be able to use an epoxy resin instead.

Thanks for the reply. Is an epoxy resin something that would work over any potential superglue residue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Along those same lines I had commissioned a set of miniatures to be assembled and painted (I lack the time and skill for such things) and they turned out great except that the tenebrael shard mini arrived in the mail snapped off the base in transit.

For $10, get an Army Painter hand drill, some paperclips, and your trusty plier! You can also pin arms and other multi-piece parts, although smaller ones are more difficult. If possible, I will drill through the base and use a dab of white glue to secure it in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
michael4928 wrote:
Along those same lines I had commissioned a set of miniatures to be assembled and painted (I lack the time and skill for such things) and they turned out great except that the tenebrael shard mini arrived in the mail snapped off the base in transit.

For $10, get an Army Painter hand drill, some paperclips, and your trusty plier! You can also pin arms and other multi-piece parts, although smaller ones are more difficult. If possible, I will drill through the base and use a dab of white glue to secure it in place.

I pin metal. I've never bothered to pin plastic. I always found the models lack the weight to cause enough stress on the joins to make pinning plastic worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the models of silver tower have many thin and delicate pieces like the weapons i dont think drilling holes in them could work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When superglue is dry, it is acrylate plastic.

Chip off the largest bits, but plastic glue will work over it just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
When superglue is dry, it is acrylate plastic.

Chip off the largest bits, but plastic glue will work over it just fine.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got two broken minis during shipping. Really small and delicate parts too.

Some of the card decks also had 'pips' from not being protected against the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herman_the_german wrote:
I got two broken minis during shipping. Really small and delicate parts too.

Some of the card decks also had 'pips' from not being protected against the models.

The card marking is apparently quite common, although mine were fine. Games Workshop have replaced cards for people who contact their service department, so drop them a line. Their customer service is absolutely excellent, and they will probably replace your miniatures too if you don't want to plastic glue the bits back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.