11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Which mini expansions to buy with hoth? (Potential spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to be purchasing hoth for our campaign group (I'm the imperial player) and wondered which mini-expansions I should get too?

I don't play skirmish at all, but paint the figures before running the missions they are in - and I don't particularly like using tokens but at the same time kinda resent buying and painting miniatures for them only to be used in one or two missions.

With this in mind, for those that have played through the hoth campaign which expansions should I buy and which aren't worth it?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Well, all of course. Call it OCD ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
You say "miniexpansions". Are you asking about boxed expansions that have minicampaigns or figure expansions that come in blister packs?

If you care about playing with figures instead of tokens, then Leia Organa, Echo Base Troopers, Dengar, and Sorin. (See BGG Imperial Assault community Wiki.)

If you don't mind playing with tokens representing the figures, then Hired Guns Villain Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmb
When I say mini expansions I do mean the figure packs - what I'm really asking is which characters that have tokens in the hoth box appear in the campaign with reasonable frequency?

For example, Han Solo appears a couple of times in the core set campaign but the rebel troopers only seem to appear once (unless I've missed a mission somewhere) and so in my mind, it's worth more to the aesthetics of the campaign to have a miniature of Han than the troopers.

Extra question: we were going to skip twin shadows as an expansion but I bought r2d2 and c3po mainly to paint them. Is it possible to use them in other campaigns at all or are they stuck in twin shadows?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can include the green side mission Open to Interpretation from R2-D2 & C-3PO pack as a side mission to a full-length campaign. (Edit: If you proxy the tiles or have Twin Shadows.)

About the frequency of seeing Echo Base Troopers, Dengar, Sorin and Leia:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The rebels have a very good chance of winning Echo Base Troopers as allies in the Return to Hoth campaign. You will probably see Dengar at least twice during the campaign, and Sorin more than once. There's a good chance of seeing Leia Organa twice or more too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks very much - exactly what I was after!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmb
[q="a1bert"]You can include the green side mission Open to Interpretation from R2-D2 & C-3PO pack as a side mission to a full-length campaign.

Sadly, I've just had a look at their mission and it uses two twin shadows tiles to make up the map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about not remembering to mention that. You could proxy the two tiles needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a completionist, but I too, hate using tokens. I am willing to proxy, however. I have used Kayn Somos as Agent Blaise. I have used random generic trandoshans as Bossk. Better than tokens, less expensive than one-off boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely a completionist here. Once I get my figures painted (just started over the weekend, and loving how they're turning out so far!) we're probably going to move into a Hoth campaign, as I've only done core so far.

I'm a little surprised to hear the frequency that those characters apparently show up. Maybe it's because I had all components mixed in for my last playthrough, but I felt like I didn't see a ton of characters pop up in the story missions at all. I wouldn't mind them fixing that, makes it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bespin Gambit (heroes are pretty neat)
Hired guns (more enemies to face right off the bat)
Obi Wan / Greedo / Grand Inquisitor (extra side quest + extra item in campaign)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.