Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Star Realms Masters Series!

Warning: this is scheduled to be a long event, taking about 4 months total, and it is an experimental event; but it will hopefully be a very enjoyable event for those who choose to participate. Participants will be expected to play matches at a reasonable pace, particularly in the qualification phase; players who routinely take more than 3 days to complete a match should not register. The event will utilize Challonge, so participants will be expected to have a Challonge account, which are free.

Note: This is NOT a registration thread. Feel free to discuss the event or ask questions here, and expect to see updates and announcements as the event progresses.

The Masters Series will be a total of 33 tournaments, and will actually be six parallel events, called Disciplines. The disciplines map, on a 1-to-1 basis, to the available digital expansions; that is Gambits, Promos, Bases, Events, Heroes, and Fleets. Each discipline will be a series of seven events.

There will be a qualification tournament for each discipline, which will have open registration, and have a small starter tournament attached for those who qualify. For those that do qualify to compete in the discipline, this will be followed by a series of five crossover tournaments (known as the circuit), and finally a mastery tournament split into two parts. Players will earn trophy points during qualification and on the circuit, a form of ranking points which will directly translate to advantages in the final tournament. And while winning a discipline is the ultimate goal, winning or doing well in any of the tournaments leading up to the final will be accomplishments in their own right.

This is a graphic showing the structure of each discipline.

Qualification
There will be six qualification tournaments, one for each discipline. Participants will register for each qualification tournament separately, and may choose to participate in as few or as many as they wish. Registration will initially be capped at 80 players for each qualifier, but this may be extended depending on demand. Each qualification event will be a two-stage tournament, played exclusively with the digital expansion that the discipline represents. For example, the Bases discipline qualification tournament will be type-B. The first stage will be a round-robin group stage, where each participant will play a best-of-three series of games against each other members of their group. The group stage is the basis of qualification for the Discipline; the top two players in each group of five will qualify to compete in the Discipline. The second stage will be a double-elimination bracket populated with just the qualifiers and serve as a starter tournament for the Discipline.

The Circuit
Once qualified, participants will play in a series of five crossover tournaments. Each crossover tournament will include the roster of qualifiers from two of the six disciplines. The crossover tournament will be a large double-elimination tournament using the combination of digital expansion content represented by the two disciplines. For example, when the Bases discipline crosses over with the Promos discipline, that tournament will be played as type-1B. Participants qualified for a discipline should own all of the other digital expansions in order to participate in every crossover tournament, but may choose to opt-out of a crossover tournament if they do not own the necessary expansion or for any other reason, giving up the opportunity to earn ranking points from those tournaments.

Star Realms Masters Series -- Gambits Discipline, Season 1
Star Realms Masters Series -- Promos Discipline, Season 1
Star Realms Masters Series -- Bases Discipline, Season 1
Star Realms Masters Series -- Events Discipline, Season 1
Star Realms Masters Series -- Heroes Discipline, Season 1
Star Realms Masters Series -- Fleets Discipline, Season 1

Mastery
After all of the crossover tournaments have been played, the discipline qualifiers will proceed to play in the Mastery Tournament for that discipline. Each mastery tournament is split into two halves. The first half is the Open, where all Discipline members will compete in a single elimination bracket. The second half is the Invitational, where only the discipline members who performed exceptionally well in one of the earlier tournaments will compete in a secondary single elimination bracket. The winners of the two halves will then face each other in the grand finale, while the two runners up will face each other for third place.

More specific details will be given for each tournament type within the Discipline threads.

Registration
Players who would like to participate in in Masters Series must follow the below links to the individual Discipline registration and qualification threads and follow the instructions therein. Players may register for as many of the qualifiers as they would like, however the size of each qualifier tournament will need to be an even multiple of the group size. At the end of the registration period a few players may need to be dropped to bring the numbers down to a multiple of the group size, though I will first attempt to recruit additional players to bring the numbers up. I will start with players registered for all six qualifiers, and will try to take discipline preference into account.

Star Realms Masters Series – Gambits, registration & qualification
Star Realms Masters Series – Promos, registration & qualification
Star Realms Masters Series – Bases, registration & qualification
Star Realms Masters Series – Events, registration & qualification
Star Realms Masters Series – Heroes, registration & qualification
Star Realms Masters Series – Fleets, registration & qualification

The six qualification tournaments will start on the Mondays and Thursdays over the course of three weeks; Oct-24, Oct-27, Oct-31, Nov-03, Nov-07, and Nov-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I also not register if I can anticipate not being able to play for, say, two full weeks within this 4-month period? In other words, will this be one long continuous event of non-stop playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaroid wrote:
Should I also not register if I can anticipate not being able to play for, say, two full weeks within this 4-month period? In other words, will this be one long continuous event of non-stop playing?
It depends on when your unavailability falls. In general though, as long as you are around for the first week of whichever qualifiers you sign up for, you are good. After qualifying, you can opt out of other tournaments as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trayton Otto
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
You're crazy for running this. I'm crazy for signing up for all 6. You've just earned a new Chrome window with 14 tabs for tracking this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColinMacLeod wrote:
You're crazy for running this. I'm crazy for signing up for all 6. You've just earned a new Chrome window with 14 tabs for tracking this.
I am a bit crazy. Ideally, the use of Challonge will help. We will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tentative calendar of the start dates for all of the tournaments. Note that for this image, the Starter tournaments are considered part of the Qualifiers, as they are within the same Challonge event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Muniak
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mb
TieDyedGuy wrote:
"Your [crankyday] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

-Ian

"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mb
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:

-Ian

"Ha! I brought all you people here to defend me, and the only one on MY side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
- John

"People are going to make fun of me because I don't know what we're quoting."

- AngryPanda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sarkissian
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
AngryPanda wrote:
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:

-Ian

- John

- AngryPanda

"Welcome to Jurassic Panda"

-SilentAl (almost John Hammond)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Gibbs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...you do realize there is no discipline (currently) for "Vanilla"? I assume this is intentional, although a serious slight to the play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amaro Barreal
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
CCKinnison wrote:
...you do realize there is no discipline (currently) for "Vanilla"? I assume this is intentional, although a serious slight to the play style.

If there would be a Vanilla discipline, all crossover-tournaments in the second stage pairing Vanilla with some other expansion would be a repetition of the initial tournament of said expansion.
Not a problem, I guess, but not that much fun either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcesius wrote:
CCKinnison wrote:

If there would be a Vanilla discipline, all crossover-tournaments in the second stage pairing Vanilla with some other expansion would be a repetition of the initial tournament of said expansion.
Not a problem, I guess, but not that much fun either

Yes. It was intentional that 'Vanilla' was not considered a Discipline for this event series, and in fact, most players' preferred formats are not a Disciplines, and will not be featured in the series. The disciplines are specifically attached to expansions, not to formats, and I believe that experience playing lots of Type-V will be quite helpful here.

While players who play (1BH), (G1B), (1BEH), (G1BH), and (A) may all have more experience with the expansions than a Vanilla player. single-expansion formats are much more vanilla than the larger deck formats expansion enthusiasts typically play. Adjusting for the absence of certain expansion content can be just as difficult as adjusting for the presence of certain content.

Many of the crossover tournaments will be played in formats that most people will have never played before. Anecdotally, I challenged Klemp during a live-stream with one of my favorite formats, and his words were "I don't think I've ever played a (1E) game before.." which made me both happy and sad at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SilentAl wrote:
AngryPanda wrote:
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
TieDyedGuy wrote:

-Ian

- John

- AngryPanda

"Welcome to Jurassic Panda"

-SilentAl (almost John Hammond)

"A day may come when the decks of men fail. When we forsake our ships and have all of our bases broken through. But it is not this day." - DarthChronos (but probably also Aragorn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
"A day may come when the decks of men fail. When we forsake our ships and have all of our bases broken through. But it is not this day." - DarthChronos (but probably also Aragorn)

Wait a minute. Decks of Men? Breaking bases? Are we playing Star Realms or Smash Up here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScrabbleRouser wrote:
Quote:

Wait a minute. Decks of Men? Breaking bases? Are we playing Star Realms or Smash Up here?

Smashed Realms. You take 2 Realms games, mix them together, and try to play. It is called Smashed Realms because you would need to be very intoxicated to not realize that the idea is stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Prizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mb
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

There are not currently any prizes designated for these events. While I would love to be able to offer prizes, and there may end up being prizes, I want it to be known up front that these events are primarily for the fun of the game.

**** THAT I'M OUT ->
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryPanda wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

**** THAT I'M OUT ->

The prizes in these events are worth more than money or gold (with apologies to Savage Garden): bragging rights. The most worthy of endeavours are not those where the winner walks away with "stuff": they are the ones where, after months of toil, blood, sweat, and heartache, one (or half a dozen) stand atop the tree, raise a clenched fist to the heavens, and proclaim their greatness to the huddled masses below. With a scoreboard to back it up cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mb
dlow wrote:
AngryPanda wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
chopsueycop wrote:
Any Prizes?

**** THAT I'M OUT ->

The prizes in these events are worth more than money or gold (with apologies to Savage Garden): bragging rights. The most worthy of endeavours are not those where the winner walks away with "stuff": they are the ones where, after months of toil, blood, sweat, and heartache, one (or half a dozen) stand atop the tree, raise a clenched fist to the heavens, and proclaim their greatness to the huddled masses below. With a scoreboard to back it up cool

**** YEAH BACK IN <-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaiihawk jaiihawk
msg tools
So what is the source of truth for discipline preference? I excitedly signed up for every discipline while I was still reading the details, then I read the line about order of preference being determined by sign up date. So I unregistered and registered for each discipline in challonge, this time in order of preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiihawk wrote:
So what is the source of truth for discipline preference? I excitedly signed up for every discipline while I was still reading the details, then I read the line about order of preference being determined by sign up date. So I unregistered and registered for each discipline in challonge, this time in order of preference.

Well. It is actually quite hard for me to track. Ideally, all of the qualifiers will end up with a perfect number, or can be locked down early enough to recruit up to a round number and not have to drop anyone. If you are registered for all 6 (or 5), you can post here with your preference order, and that will be the definitive source of truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will update the opening post with this information tomorrow.

For each of the Qualification tournaments, group stage matches will be played as best-of-three rather than the originally planned two games with potential ties. I realized that I was looking at the potential of many hard-to-break tie situations (players tied in ranking points, and also tied against one another) that would likely require playoff games to be resolved fairly, but waiting for a group to finish before starting playoff games would add delay and complexity.

I decided score differential was not the way to go here, as that is an extra thing for players to track and also has the potential of changing the way a game is played. So what would have been ties under the original model, will now be played for a winner immediately.

This means that rather than the 8 games, each player may play as many as 12 games in the group stage of the qualifier tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With just 5 days to go before the start of the first qualifier, we currently have 60 players registered for at least 1 of the qualifiers.

40 players are registered for all six, 6 players are registered for five, one player for four, 4 players for three, 4 players for two, and 5 players for a single qualifier.

There is still time to add your name to a qualifier you are not already registered for if you wish to give it a go, and still plenty of time for additional players to register.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.