Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Cheyenne Dropship Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is rumor control, here are the facts:

Yesterday at 0900 reinforcements have arrived. A UD-4L Cheyenne class Dropship landed in the peripherals of our field HQ.

The Dropship is officially for sale since the 26th of august, with an announced maximum turnaround time of 4 business days. So we now know that 4 days in the Prodos calender are approximately 6 weeks in our time scale. But we KS backers did know that already, didn't we ;-P
However, time to have a look at what I paid my hard earned money for.

The Dropship is delivered in a wooden ammo crate, wrapped in cardboard and the usual black garbagebags...

A very nice idea, but executed in the cheapest way possible. Prodos removed the metal clip lock that was visible in the preview images. The wood is coated with a very small amount of spray coat, and without any sealing. After touching it, my fingers were gray and the wood shone through where I touched the box. The paint comes of that easily.
On the bottom of the box is a sheet of paper containing the manual and legal information. The sheet is larger then the box, protruding. So I wanted to get rid of that sheet of paper, but some genius glued the sheet to the ammo crate with hot glue!

The model is a limited print run, and each one has a unique serial number. The number is not printed anywhere on the model itself; they are absolutely interchangeable. Instead the number is only printed on the ammo crate, so in fact only the wooden box is identified as limited print run object. Inside the box there is a paper certificate to "prove" you have an authentic limited edition cast model (or at least an authentic wooden crate). However, in my case the certificate states another number than my ammo crate, making this "proof" rather useless.

But enough of that, let's talk about the model itself.
The level of details is nice and overall, it is well designed, even so there are some minor differences that a hardcore fan might notice. It looks far better than the first design draft and really looks like the iconic vehicle I was expecting.

The model itself is modular and allows for various configurations. There are enough parts to build the vehicle with retracted skids as when flying, or with extended skids to stand safely on a planets surface.
The rocket arms can be folded or extended for normal movement or attacks. The ramp however has no joints of any kind, it's just a flat piece of resin that is glued to the vessels body, so it's closed by default. If you want the ramp to stand wide open, like in the preview shots, you have to use pinning and green stuff. By the way, the ship is large, but still smaller than a true scale model would have been. An APC that would fit inside this dropship would be off scale for the marines of the game.

So, the design is great, but what really shocked me was the quality of the cast, or the lack thereof. I know large resin kits from forgeworld and other companies, but the delivered model is inferior to those. If I pay premium money, I expect to get a premium model, but instead the delivered parts had miscasts and a hell lot of moldlines. In the images you can see some of the parts that do not really fit, like the cockpit and the left skid. And some of the moldlines.

Another problem are larger amounts of resin within the slots and recesses that are used to connect several pieces together, preventing the parts from correctly and tightly fitting. It almost looks like cast channels of the mold ended within the crevices. I assembled quite a lot miniatures in my life, even though I am not really an expert on that matter, but Inever had this kind of problem before. And I don't really know how I should get rid of the resin within the recesses, so if you have a useful tip for me, please write it in the comments ;-)

With all the trimming, cleaning, remodeling, pinning etc. that is needed to assemble this model kit, I would not recommend it for beginners, but only for experienced modelers.

Conclusion:
The ideas and design are great, but the implementation is mediocre and imho subpar for the high price Prodos asks for. Especially since a lot of work is needed to make this model shine like it deserves. What Prodos delivered looks more like an alpha- or early beta-status than a finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I know this is another minor criticism but they are really inconsistent with the number of digits they use for their "limited edition". There's five digits on the box, 7 digits on the certificate and they were meant to be limiting the run to 1000 units.

Furthermore, they don't even list the maximum number of units to be released.

It's a bit amateur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elwyn5150 wrote:
I know this is another minor criticism but they are really inconsistent with the number of digits they use for their "limited edition". There's five digits on the box, 7 digits on the certificate and they were meant to be limiting the run to 1000 units.

Furthermore, they don't even list the maximum number of units to be released.

It's a bit amateur.

It's an amateur-company..., so what did you expect? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like both numbers say 238 to me, the stamp just wasn't inky enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude nameless
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I did not expect such problems.
I recently bought a Warzone Resurrection Mishima Gigamek and it was perfectly casted - simple and fast to build.
Try to contact Prodos, you deserve a perfect model for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
moss_icon wrote:
Looks like both numbers say 238 to me, the stamp just wasn't inky enough.

Certificate: 0000238 (printed/faded)
Box: 00238 (in marker)

Seems legit shake

I like how the "limited to 1000" serial number has enough placeholders for 9,999,999 models. Wouldn't four digits be sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re the resin in the recesses, my immediate though is using a pin vice drill to get rid of the worst of it, possibly followed up by some modelling files, which should come in small enough sizes to fit in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captn_Winkle .
msg tools
Thanks for the review. From what I have read in the posts and this, I will hold myself from buying all the add ons and this...seems this company is a mess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.