Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of most dexterity games, which seem to all have a contaption element to them, what are some of your favorite and least favorite games that have "contraptions" worked into the game.

One of the oldest I recall from when I was a kid was Mouse Trap. Dark Tower was another oldy but goody from my youth.

I haven;t tried Potion Explosion yet (I own it) but it looks promising!

T'Zolkin is another game that has a bit of a movement contraption and is an outstanding game to me.

On a much lighter note, I like Mystic Veil which has a bit of a card contraption thngy to it....

When done well, "contraptions" can bring a new element to game play that I believe enhances it somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone wants to play with dice pyramid in Camel Up, whether or not it's advantageous to move the camels on their turn.

Just in time for Halloween, 13 Dead End Drive and 1313 Dead End Drive have lots of moving traps that really fit the theme of trying to bump off other potential heirs.

Château Roquefort is a favorite of mine with the entire board + box a maze with sliding traps.

Polar Dare! is a not-terrible (for kids) mass market game that has ice floes that slide up and down the board. Ride your penguins on the floes to get across the board, while avoiding the polar bear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein/Shogun and Schrille Stille?

Schrille Stille:

The Schrille Stille CD player gimmick is a pretty elaborate one for a simple, light game - but it actually serves a function that I can't think of any other way to accomplish as well. Each player has a variety of chips that fit into 14 different holes around the perimeter of a circular piece of cardboard; black numbers for positive effect, red numbers for negative effect, a player color chip with a dot on it to get a VP reward if something currently at a particular position will end up in the highest position after all of the effects are applied, and a plain player color chip to take the total effects applied to any particular position as VPs. The piece of cardboard fits in a flat cardboard folder that conceals one's chip placement from other players, with the top flap serving as a screen while you're placing and also as a player aid. After placement, each player folds the top down and hands it to the player who is operating the gimmick, who stacks them all (including folder) on a spindle. A final piece of cardboard with no holes, but indications for the numbers, is placed on top for concealment, then the folders are removed. As they are removed, the chips fall into holes in a thick circular piece of wood set on the base of the spindle that are oriented under the chip holes. Then the spindle is turned, orienting the the numbered holes over a chute one at a time, causing them to fall out, and resolving the effects.

It would be a big mechanical improvement for a co-op traitor game over the traditional method of shuffling a pile of player-contributed cards to mask the traitor's identity. With the CD tower (which could just as easily be a rotary telephone for a mid-20th century theme) the best you can tell is whether the traitor played before or after someone else within a particular number. Also, it gives the equivalent of 14 different stacks of cards simultaneously with very little effort (with no indication of who chose to place in what stack, only how many), so individual tasks for the group to solve could be very complicated.

edit: just discovered the strangest thing about this game - the tokens are 1/2 inch. Strange for a German game, I'd assumed metric. I can experiment with the co-op idea with a $5 order from caseyswood.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
Everyone wants to play with dice pyramid in Camel Up, whether or not it's advantageous to move the camels on their turn.

Just in time for Halloween, 13 Dead End Drive and 1313 Dead End Drive have lots of moving traps that really fit the theme of trying to bump off other potential heirs.

Château Roquefort is a favorite of mine with the entire board + box a maze with sliding traps.

Polar Dare! is a not-terrible (for kids) mass market game that has ice floes that slide up and down the board. Ride your penguins on the floes to get across the board, while avoiding the polar bear.

Thanks! I have Camel Up! I'll have to check out the others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express is another contraption game that I think is fairly fun and the contraptions (especially if you have the stage coach expansion) really add to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither favorites nor least favorites, but just what springs to mind:

Kogworks is interesting. Technically the contraption is unnecessary, but it helps manually verify the game state (i.e. whether or not the gears can turn or are locked in a loop that won't turn).

Similarly for the laser in Khet: The Laser Game.

The sort of nondeterministic marble chute mechanism in Potion Explosion is a bit like the cube towers (mentioned up thread) in games like Wallenstein and Amerigo.

Somewhat analogous to your Tzolkin gears are the 4 board quadrants of Pentago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossbows and Catapults has catapults to chuck things at the opposing side. Especially their head. Especially my brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Crossbows and Catapults has catapults to chuck things at the opposing side. Especially their head. Especially my brother.

Yes! This game is tons of fun!!

Can it still be found?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Destruct 3, not sure if you think of that as a Dex game. The large version plays a lot better.

Poseidon's Kingdom has a fun wave for ride rolling.

Ab die Post! and Inkognito both have contraptions for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Can it still be found?

Pirates on the High Seas devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral Shintoist
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
Key to the Kingdom. You can almost create a new board by jumping in the portal. By the by, is there a Dungeons & Dragons scenario where you have to fight a dark elf with your eyes literately shut?

Goosebumps: Terror in the Graveyard Game's box is one big moving graveyard with ghost launcher. Sadly, I couldn't get the Headless Ghost to launch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If taking about older mass market games, don't forget The Omega Virus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral Shintoist
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
Guantanamo wrote:
If taking about older mass market games, don't forget The Omega Virus

Forgot about that game. Only, beat it once though.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Mouse Trap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:

Can it still be found?

Unfortunately not without paying silly money over on Amazon for a second hand copy.

That's a game that really could do with a new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Goofy Golf Machine is amazing and hugely more exciting than mouse trap - plus everything works lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this many many years agoLegend of Zagor with my brother .
We loved the figures and board but preferred HeroQuest.

Recently played Impact with my son when he was younger which is surprisingly good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Catapult adds a dexterity element to Carcassonne, to mixed reviews...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fastest Gun - The big disc with holes in it, that you turned to control who got killed during the game's shoot outs, created real suspense in what was otherwise a pretty simple roll-and-move monopoly clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a funny thought about the vague word "contraption": If a contraption is some kind of device or gadget which acts partly autonomously (as opposed to e.g. you directly moving a piece on the board, or you drawing a card from a stack), then ordinary dice and spinners would seem to qualify as contraptions!

It's not obvious how to define "contraption" to exclude dice and spinners (other than explicitly excluding them)...

If we try to define a contraption as involving more than one part (so as to exclude a die), that still doesn't exclude spinners, and for dice there are often separate parts: dice cups, dice towers, dice trays, and pop-o-matics.

(Surely a pop-o-matic dice thingie is a "contraption"! Or is it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aeegik norstvv
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An inside joke, but people that play Magic: The Gathering don't have contraptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game from my younger days that I knew as haunted house but is listed under Which Witch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
An inside joke, but people that play Magic: The Gathering don't have contraptions.

Like soap and anti-perspirant?

I joke! I joke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Can it still be found?

Well, if you don't mind playing Crossbows and Catapults from Clothespins... laugh

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-clothespin-catapult/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the newest contraption games has to be Potion Explosion. I can't speak to how good the game might be, but it sure does look pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.