The Last Friday» Forums » General

Subject: how to win as the maniac rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Yourgos Yirgis
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone. I have a question about playing as the maniac.

What is a good opening strategy for the maniac in the first round? I have found it very hard to win the game as the maniac. I have never killed more than 2 campers in the opening round and that time, it was pure luck (they stayed together and I was able to get them fast). The same applies in the other night phase. The campers are always able to get away because of their items.

I would appreciate any advice. The game is no contest for the campers at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Im canceling my pre order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

Did the same last night for the second time. GenCon got me too excited, but this game needs about a year of playtesting to be good. Maybe second edition works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Slashdoctor wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:

Did the same last night for the second time. GenCon got me too excited, but this game needs about a year of playtesting to be good. Maybe second edition works better.

My preorder is now canceled and im feeling better now. Now im just waiting for arkham horror LCG to come out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Silvers
United States
adairville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:

My preorder is now canceled and im feeling better now. Now im just waiting for arkham horror LCG to come out

I have both in the same order. Not sure how long I can wait on this after Arkham is released. I don't want this holding it up. I may have to cancel also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightboy wrote:
Hi everyone. I have a question about playing as the maniac.

What is a good opening strategy for the maniac in the first round? I have found it very hard to win the game as the maniac. I have never killed more than 2 campers in the opening round and that time, it was pure luck (they stayed together and I was able to get them fast). The same applies in the other night phase. The campers are always able to get away because of their items.

I would appreciate any advice. The game is no contest for the campers at this point.

But what happened the following chapters? Part of the fun for me is the different "games" the different chapters bring. And since the chapters start off where the previous end that can cause different strategies to come up. Ex. Do I really want to get to close to someone at the end of chapter 1 if I don't know if I can kill them? Because if I do and I don't kill them the will be right on top of me during chapter 2 when they are hunting me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

You're cancelling because one guy asks a strategy question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:

You're cancelling because one guy asks a strategy question?

I think it's the sum of its parts. Reviews have found the scenarios really clunky and after I read through the rulebook, it seems a bloated mess how the scenarios are built and I don't think the odds of murderer winning are anywhere close to what they should be in such a game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll wait for the second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Stassen
Belgium
Dilsen-Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
Based on my first play, and as a camper in the first 2 chapters:

Place the keys as far as possible from their cabins
Destroy a cabin asap to limit their options, swim across the lake to really cross some distance.

The difficulty can be increased by allowing the maniac unlimited times to cross the lake or use a cabin tunnel.

Also since the single chapter setups for chapter 2-3-4 laways have 2 cabins destroyed I think the maniac should be able to use the axe twice,
or any time he is on a axe spot in a advanced difficulty version

My friends had fun playing the game but I do think it needs some fine tunning.

Edit:
Giving the maniac the invisible token from chapter 1, and restore maniac tokens every chapter will make things more difficult for the camper too.
May also want to restore the campers theyr ability every chapter in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Berger
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first play last night, I played the Maniac, and we got all the way through to Chapter IV before the campers caught me on about my 4th move. I'd readily agree that it's really tough for the maniac, and I'd suggest the following tips (from my limited experience):
1. If you know you can't get the kill in Chapter III, use your final moves to get some distance on the campers - they'll probably expect you to be hunting them down, so you'll be going in opposite directions.
2. Don't be tempted to use up your extra movement early on - it could win the game in Chapter III rather than just give you an extra kill in Chapter I.
3. You'll only need to use Plot Twist in Chapter III to take the win, or get further distance. It is no good in any other Chapter. Using it to move away in Chapter III will give you 7 hidden movements, which should be a really good headstart away from the Campers.
4. Time your reveals with movement into light, or with removing bear traps if you can.

To balance the game if you feel it needs it, I'd suggest simply awarding the Maniac 2 points per Corpse rather than just 1. That would have given me a fighting chance going into the final chapter, and would focus Campers on burying corpses.

For anyone that's worried about the balance though - don't! This is an incredibly fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eline Jansens
Belgium
flag msg tools
A totally agree with your opinion, Steve. The game has been made very challenging for the Maniac, but with a careful approach and good timing you can make the campers shiver with fear and run for their lives. The transgression of the hunter becoming hunted keeps the game engaging for the campers. As they steadily gain more power their determination grows stronger. I had a tension packed afternoon playing this game (I was the Maniac and got caught in the final chapter)and everybody at the table had loads of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.