Subject: Maximum number of players on an average sized table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found myself wondering, with expansions on their way, what is the maximum number of players that you could physically accommodate on an average dining table?

I understand that GF9 is going to release a 3' x 3' play mat. I have a 55" x 55" gaming table, and I made a 44" x 44" play area for ST:A. This is considerably bigger that the "official" play mat that they are selling, but I still can't really imagine more than 4 players playing in that space without running into each other too quickly.

Considering the number of expansions that are likely to come (possibly up to 10 races?), what do others consider to be the maximum number of players feasible? Of course, downtime between turns needs to be considered too, but I'm thinking more about geography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 or 5, a tighter map for 5 may speed up the game to minimize downtime.

given all the stuff each player needs to put his offboard faction stuff it wont be easy for large numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DiGiorgio
msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
4 or 5, a tighter map for 5 may speed up the game to minimize downtime.

given all the stuff each player needs to put his offboard faction stuff it wont be easy for large numbers

having played with 3 players several times, I think four is a max mainly on playtime itself. The space you have is mostly what determines speed of play, the faster you connect the faster the game escalates. I am looking forward to playing with a 4th race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a rectangular playing area of about 46" x 36" (with more space at the edges for player components). I'll be able to expand it a bit for 4-5; about 30 x 36 (total 76 x 36). So as more are added, the area for each player will get smaller. This would limit game time, as mentioned above, which might be a good thing with more players. I don't expect to use more than 4 factions much, simply due to lack of players, at least right now. Therefore even larger games, when they become available, will be more for special events, perhaps in a store space, etc.

It does make me wonder how many expansions will be practical to buy, although it will be hard for me to refuse them. So I'm hoping that new expansions won't continue to just be more player factions. For example, NPC Borg or Dominion probably won't require more space, as they will most likely play on the same surface and invade the systems already on the table.

I'm considering using the greater variety of systems that will become available in the mix after removing the home systems of expansions. But that may mean not all available systems will appear in any one game.

Another possibility, which I've used in my 54mm miniatures games, would be to add a non-adjacent second table, and just allow one edge for each table to be considered adjacent for movement. But in those mini games I just use a ruler for movement, so this would be tricky with the space lanes; but it might be fun to try! I've used a second table for a Star Trek Fleet Captains game where DS9's hex sector (eqauivalent to an STA system tile) led to a non-adjacent Dominion quadrant sector through a wormhole, and it worked nicely.

arrrh And all this in a New York City bachelor apartment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i do think that the Borg and dominion npc's will come with some new systems, perhaps not the full 10 but 3-4.
i can see for the borg a system that portrays a transwarp conduit where they appear from and for dominion their homeworld and possibly wormhole location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.