Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Sargeant
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
Search for 'Northants Board and Card Gamers Collective' on Facebook
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games now with 2 player set up. Is there any reason why we can't or shouldn't play with all the building tiles available?? Thanks for your thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hulek
United States
Galloway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi Graham,

We tried it however the game is really designed to work with either the two player set up or the three/four player set up. If however you would like fresh buildings the expansion, Rising Tide, offers new ones. When we play with the expansion we grab four buildings from the base/core game and four buildings from the expansion. Also included in the expansion are new Victory Point Buildings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only have 2 players, but want to play with more of the tiles from the base set, why not just add an AI captain as a third player and use all the buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Sargeant
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
Search for 'Northants Board and Card Gamers Collective' on Facebook
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
If you only have 2 players, but want to play with more of the tiles from the base set, why not just add an AI captain as a third player and use all the buildings?

Thanks, yes I hadn't really played with the AI captains until yesterday. I had a go solo and it seemed to work OK, in fact I was beaten by Stubbs. I came to the same conclusion that I could just add the extra AI player.
I think I've been spoilt playing Caverna as there are just so many action choices and I felt a little limited with the vanilla two player set up of this game compared to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicsarge1968 wrote:

Thanks, yes I hadn't really played with the AI captains until yesterday. I had a go solo and it seemed to work OK, in fact I was beaten by Stubbs. I came to the same conclusion that I could just add the extra AI player.
I think I've been spoilt playing Caverna as there are just so many action choices and I felt a little limited with the vanilla two player set up of this game compared to that.

When I play solo now I play against 2 AI captains and use all the buildings. Definitely increases the choices in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
magicsarge1968 wrote:

When I play solo now I play against 2 AI captains and use all the buildings. Definitely increases the choices in the game.

After seeing your responses on the New Bedford thread, I think we might need to promote you to First Mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
magicsarge1968 wrote:

After seeing your responses on the New Bedford thread, I think we might need to promote you to First Mate.

Ay ay Cap'n! Reporting for duty... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
For a little more detail, there are two main reasons for not using all the buildings. First, the 3+ player buildings for the most part add resources to the game, so without them it keeps the resources much tighter. Second, the availability of more cheap buildings makes the building strategy a bit too powerful.

For more variety in 2-player, you can swap in one or two, which should change the economy without making it too loose. There are a few that you really don't want to use because of the more zero-sum nature of the interaction. The Post Office is very strong for the owner, so you want multiple people to be able to take it from them, otherwise, it's very weak. The Inn basically becomes an automatic first action. These things really detract from the strategy.
A few buildings in the Expansion are the same way. The Bridge cuts down on building and basically becomes an automatic first action. The Chemist Shop is purely stealing, and very weak (and not particularly interesting). And the Storehouse sort of negates the whole resource scarcity on the main board, because the owner can effectively always get a resource bonus, which is overpowered with 2.
Everything else should be fine to use. The thing to watch for when playing is that it doesn't guarantee a balance between strategies or a big enough variety in them, but for replaying, that's fine. Sort of like looking at the Dominion setup and realizing not every card will be important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.