Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Player - Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all, I finally started to play Mage Knight Boardgame and of course I have questions. I'm sure some of them are already answered in the walkthrough/rules but I couldn't find those.

Appreciate your help in answering my questions.

1.When I use a mana crystal from my inventory to activate a stronger ability of a card, is it used up (returned to the 'bank') or I still retain it?

2.Upon completion of a Round do we remove our Tactics cards from the game or return to their respective deck?

3.During a Day Round while being in a Dungeon can I use black mana from the Source?

4.What's difference between mana tokens and mana crystals?

5.Defeated a Dungeon enemy for first time and rolled black mana. Do I take a Spell from the Spell offers or from top of Spell deck?

6.A Draconum have 7 armor with fire and physical resistance. How do I calculate this? If I used regular Attack, would I need 14 points or 28 points (halved for fire resistance then again halved for physical resistance?)

7a. When I use an Unit to absorb damage which causes it to receive a Wound, is it exhausted for that round?

7b. When I heal a wounded Unit in the same Round it received a Wound is it Ready or considered exhausted?

7c. When I use an Unit to absorb an attack and it does not receive a Wound due to a resistance, is it considered exhausted or is it still Ready?

8. Toward the end of my turn, am I able to discard any non-Wound cards from my hand at will? I swore I saw somewhere we are allowed to decide whether to keep or discard non-Wound cards in our hand at the end of our turn but I couldn't find this anywhere

Many thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Life is not like a box of chocolates at all: With chocolate you can check the back and have a pretty good idea of what you're getting yourself into...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the most eminent source on MK but I'll give it a shot from memory:

1) Yes, they are used up.

2) Depends. When playing solo some tactics will be removed but in multiplayer games I think they always stay in the game.

3) Possibly? If so it's something I keep forgetting. There is something about night rules applying in dungeons though, isn't there? I would say yes but let's see what others have to say.

4) Tokens expire at the end of the turn and are returned to the supply. Crystals can be stored.

5) Offer? I think...

6) 14 for physical and fire attacks, 7 for ice attacks.

7) a. Don't think so but you can't activate wounded units.

b. I would say ready.

c. Ready

8) Yes, you can discard any non-wounds you want at the end of your turn.

Now I'm curious how many I got right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Awesome!

I'm just happy that someone responded.

I also have been reading thru some threads in this section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSethe wrote:

Now I'm curious how many I got right.

I think you are wrong on 7b. Healing/wounding units and exhausting units are totally different things and absoutely independent. So if you heal an unit it keeps its status of readyness. If it was exhausted before the healing it stays exhausted. The same is if you wound an unit. If it was ready it stays ready. (But you can't activate it until you heal it. )

edit: fixed quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
ElSethe got most right, but just to clarify.

2) Remove in solo - return in multiplayer

3) Yes, since there are night rules in play (and so you cannot use gold mana)

5) Offer (page 9 "End of turn" - I go there all the time to see which order things are in)

"6.A Draconum have 7 armor with fire and physical resistance. How do I calculate this? If I used regular Attack, would I need 14 points or 28 points (halved for fire resistance then again halved for physical resistance?)"

If you are using regular (physical) attack, why would you think fire resistance does anything to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks all, huge huge help!

Randor20 wrote:

"6.A Draconum have 7 armor with fire and physical resistance. How do I calculate this? If I used regular Attack, would I need 14 points or 28 points (halved for fire resistance then again halved for physical resistance?)"

If you are using regular (physical) attack, why would you think fire resistance does anything to that?

Now that I read that again, you're correct. Fire resistance shouldn't affect phys attack. I wrote that down on Twitter at like 2am and just copied pasted here. Oops.

But hey, good thing - I went back to Walkthrough and read up on fire/ice resistance and spotted this part about where how I am not supposed to apply special benefits from an Action Card or Unit of color or mana on an enemy of same color resistance (red card, red mana on fire resistance and likewise with blue & ice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
You got most of it, but I figured you might appreciate some sources:
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/mage/MK_rulebook_...

barinthus wrote:
1.When I use a mana crystal from my inventory to activate a stronger ability of a card, is it used up (returned to the 'bank') or I still retain it?

You lose it when you use it. See "Using Mana 1 a&b" on page 5 of the rulebook.

barinthus wrote:
2.Upon completion of a Round do we remove our Tactics cards from the game or return to their respective deck?

By default you keep everything in play. Specific scenarios vary from that, which you can see under their "Special Rules". Scenario listing starts at page 15 of the rulebook.

barinthus wrote:
3.During a Day Round while being in a Dungeon can I use black mana from the Source?

"Night rules apply for this combat". Yes you can use black mana, and likewise you can't use gold mana. See the dungeon site description card and "Using Mana 2 a&b" on page 5 of the rulebook. As a sidenote, always check the site description card when you discover it or are about to interact with it. Really helps you cut down on rules mistakes early on.

barinthus wrote:
4.What's difference between mana tokens and mana crystals?

Tokens disappear at end of turn if not used. Crystals stay in your inventory until you turn them into tokens. See "Using Mana 1 a&b" on page 5 of the rulebook.

barinthus wrote:
5.Defeated a Dungeon enemy for first time and rolled black mana. Do I take a Spell from the Spell offers or from top of Spell deck?

In general when you gain cards you gain them from the appropriate offer. See "End of Turn 5.c" on page 9 of the rulebook.
Exceptions will be clearly noted (for example see 'Training' on Monastery site description card).

barinthus wrote:
6.A Draconum have 7 armor with fire and physical resistance. How do I calculate this? If I used regular Attack, would I need 14 points or 28 points (halved for fire resistance then again halved for physical resistance?)

14. See "Ranged And Siege Attack Phase 3a". For easy reference you can also check back of the rulebook.

barinthus wrote:
7a. When I use an Unit to absorb damage which causes it to receive a Wound, is it exhausted for that round?

"A Wounded Unit retains its state of readiness (Ready or
Spent)". "Wounds and Healing 2b" page 10 of the rulebook.

barinthus wrote:
7b. When I heal a wounded Unit in the same Round it received a Wound is it Ready or considered exhausted?

As above, you simply remove the wound card from it. Its state of readiness is the same as it was before getting wounded.

barinthus wrote:
7c. When I use an Unit to absorb an attack and it does not receive a Wound due to a resistance, is it considered exhausted or is it still Ready?

"Assign Damage Phase" on page 8 of the rulebook makes absolutely no mention of units getting spent when wounded. Also see "Using Units 5." on page 4 of the rulebook to see when you activate (=spend/exhaust) units. Again it makes no mention of damage assignment requiring an activation.

No, units do not get spent when you assign damage to them.

barinthus wrote:
8. Toward the end of my turn, am I able to discard any non-Wound cards from my hand at will? I swore I saw somewhere we are allowed to decide whether to keep or discard non-Wound cards in our hand at the end of our turn but I couldn't find this anywhere

End of the Turn 7a: " a. Before drawing, you may discard any number of non-Wound cards from your hand, if you wish.
• If you did not play or discard any cards during your turn,
you must discard at least one card now."

Lots of dense text in that book. Hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes, a big help!

I really appreciate specific references so I can look up those myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trav Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding 7c - While the unit is not exhausted, note pg 8 of the rulebook:

"If a Unit is assigned damage but does not get Wounded
because of a resistance, it cannot be assigned damage
again during the same combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.