Agricola, Master of Britain» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time playing AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
This was my first game, and it will not be my last.

Started the game with tan leader on the map in Decenagli. Immediately decided to send XX (with Agricola) and IX after Ordovices and Silures with the hopes of getting that leader out of the way. I forgot what I did with my 3rd turn that phase but what I failed to realize was the leaders exit the map at the end of the turn so I failed to catch him.

Turn 2 I made some Garrisons on O and S which removed the last of the tribal units there but meanwhile Green was building up so I sent Agricula with a very strong army into Green to clean house. He did with easy. 3 Step Legionnaires are just a wrecking ball of a force and I had 4 of them in his army coupled with Agricola for initiative and tactical advantage I could hardly every get defeated (the dice rolls were going my way a lot also!).

Mid game, this is how the board looked.

Unfortunately I was running out of armies (garrisons really deplete your forces and I wished I hadn't placed one in Demetae.

Next I wanted to make some headway into Red. I was assuming I would lose a Settlement and then I wanted to put the new one into Damnoni - just to start reducing the tribal unrest there. That never happened but what did happen was Calgacus finally showed up and I didn't really have the army to defeat him (like a dummy I put a Garrison in Damnoni when I really didn't need it there which left Agricola with only 2 Legions.

I decided to play it safe at that point and use all my turns and income to Pass (5VP / turn) and buy 4 more VP's with my high income. Unfortunately at the end of the game I ran a couple of VP's short, actually quite a few as I look at the map because I'm pretty sure this doesn't reflect the tribal subtraction since I didn't have enough before that I didn't bother totaling it up.

End of the game board map:

One weird thing - it seems anti-thematic to have auxiliary units only for the legions. I could not find anything in the rules that said I couldn't do this.

I was lucky this game in that Calgacus didn't show up until turn 7. If he had shown up earlier I think I would have HAD to chase him down. There are just too many negatives to leaving a tribal leader on the map.

Lesson learned: Kill the leaders as early as you can. The VP's they give are critical to a victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pobuda
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up, thank you.
I'm really looking forward to try this one.

lordpolish wrote:

One weird thing - it seems anti-thematic to have auxiliary units only for the legions. I could not find anything in the rules that said I couldn't do this.

In the rules in Reorganize Legion Action (6.0 Leader Actions) is said (emphasize added):

No Legion may have more than two Auxiliaries for each Legionary Battle Unit in the Holding Box.

So, if you have no Legionary Battle Units in legion, you can have no Auxiliaries there, in my opinion.

Also in 9.5 New Auxiliaries is written (emphasize added):
Note that you may not have more than two Auxiliaries per Legion Battle Unit in a Holding Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
mbmbmbmbmb
Auxiliaries can be used for garrisons. They don't need to be legionary units according to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Figueras

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Auxiliaries can be used for garrisons. They don't need to be legionary units according to the rules.

No, according to the designer, only legionary units can be used for garrison. See the thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1649994/can-auxliiaries-be-u...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:

10.0 in the rulebook, "Game End Triggers", states that the game ends in your defeat if any Legion has no Legionary Battle Units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oersted wrote:
sullafelix wrote:

No, according to the designer, only legionary units can be used for garrison. See the thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1649994/can-auxliiaries-be-u...

Thanks, I missed that! That makes it harder then. (lost 5 times so far)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
obenn wrote:
lordpolish wrote:

10.0 in the rulebook, "Game End Triggers", states that the game ends in your defeat if any Legion has no Legionary Battle Units.

Oh well....I guess making Garrison's with my last legion units (and reorgs) was a bad idea. I missed that rule. I knew if you lost your legions in battle it was an auto loss.

That makes this game a lot harder than I thought. Getting new legions is hard - you have to give up a huge chunk of victory points and Auxiliary's are mostly not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Chi
msg tools
mbmb
Yes' that's what's cool about AMoB! Not just getting a feel for when to use which action, but also balancing the economic necessities of building your treasury vs building your legions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.