Thumb up
 Hide
164 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 69% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
A) Thanks Obama

B) How much do you have in savings? Not to include home equity, boardgame equity and such. In the bank or in the coffee can.

Oh. And non-Americans are welcome to answer.
Poll
Well?
Close to $0
Less than $1000
$1000-$5000
$5000-$10,000
Over $10,000
The recommended 6 months pay
More
Much more
      177 answers
Poll created by Koldfoot

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/how-much-americans-at-every-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I have a mint Beta Black Lotus...I am set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I spent about 10 years at the <$1000 stage. Got over it though ><

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was still in college the last time I had less than $1000 in savings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash at hand? Damn near zero.

I finish each month with virtually nothing left of my paycheck; makes July and August (when I don't get paid) very interesting....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I decided not to answer. As a small business owner I have sufficient money in savings for the moment, but I also have big bills. The economy is pretty weak. The state is broke. It wouldn't take much of a downturn or a really bad month for me to be broke.

I wish more of you clowns would start a business. Your whole world view would change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough to last til past 2042. Assuming 3% inflation and i can roughly match inflation on my investments and do odd jobs if im ever slightly off.

And sometimes it doesnt feel like enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says something about people's idea of saving vs spending. When I had my first job, I didn't feel safe until I had 4 months of expenses on cash. I've been thinking of retirement since as my income went up. A friend of mine and former RSPer and I have had similar household incomes most of our careers, and yet I am ahead in net worth by a factor of 10.

That said, there are many in America that really don't make enough money to do much saving. Is it really 65% of adults? No idea, as elections keep reminding me how completely out of touch I am compared to the average American. Apparently median household income in the US is 53K, and that sounds like enough for savings (It sure was enough for me, back when I made that, and my wife was in college).

If people are really saving that little, things are going to get real interesting in 20 years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When daycare is finally over with we'll be able to properly save, but until then (or if the remote possibility of Clinton's daycare subsidies were to be implemented) we'll be living paycheck to paycheck. Daycare is currently consuming 41% of our take-home pay. Clinton's proposal to cap daycare expenses to 10% of income would make a dramatic difference in my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I decided not to answer. As a small business owner I have sufficient money in savings for the moment, but I also have big bills. The economy is pretty weak. The state is broke. It wouldn't take much of a downturn or a really bad month for me to be broke.

I wish more of you clowns would start a business. Your whole world view would change.

I've seen what a business in software does: High risk, high reward. Given how you can be in the 1% as an employee, carrying very little risk, I'll leave that to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Setting a poll that you're unwilling to answer yourself is EXCEPTIONALLY weak sauce, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Koldfoot wrote:

I will probably be doing that in the next couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Your bitterness about the economy is a bit ridiculous. The economy sucks in Alaska because of how successful fracking has been. If anything, the Democrat's fight against oil has kept the price of oil higher than it otherwise would have been, so your hate is very misplaced. It is capitalism that is killing the economy in Alaska, not the Democrats.

The best advice I can offer you is to move to the lower 48, the economy in Alaska is never going to recover. Oil will continue to become less and less important to the rest of the world over time. Fracking will hold the oil price down long enough for the economy to transition to solar, and since Alaska is really bad for solar, even more reason to move now while you can still afford it. Outside of oil there really isn't much point for a business to locate itself in Alaska. Use your brain and make better choices so that you don't end up 60 years old with no savings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I save, but I don't invest like I should. I keep being told by my grandfather to put money in Vangard investments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the poll needed more options rather than 'more' and 'much more' as that doesn't really mean much... what is 'much more'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I save, but I don't invest like I should. I keep being told by my grandfather to put money in Vanguard investments.

You can't really go wrong with the broad market index funds at Vanguard (either ETF or mutual funds). I'm split 60% in VTI and 20% in VWO. The other 20% I play around with, taking higher risks, but mostly I rely on the broad / low risk indexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have a little over five times my annual expenses. I am a recent-ish convert to not spending money on stupid stuff.. I wish I had started earlier, but oh well. At my current rate of saving I'll be financially independent in 9.7 years. It would be sooner if my wife were more on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
I save, but I don't invest like I should. I keep being told by my grandfather to put money in Vanguard investments.

You can't really go wrong with the broad market index funds at Vanguard (either ETF or mutual funds). I'm split 60% in VTI and 20% in VWO. The other 20% I play around with, taking higher risks, but mostly I rely on the broad / low risk indexes.

Truth. I recommend VTSAX if you have the minimum, just due to the fees. 0.05%, which is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have a mint Beta Black Lotus...I am set.

See sometimes I feel like I'm a little on the edge. Then I remember I can pay for the mortgage and car for two years with magic card money if I need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
sfox wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Truth. I recommend VTSAX if you have the minimum, just due to the fees. 0.05%, which is amazing.

What is the minimum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
dysjunct wrote:
sfox wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

What is the minimum?

$10k. If you don't have it, then go with VTI, which doesn't have a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried Wealthfront?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

No, but I use Betterment, which is very similar. Overall I am happy with it, although I'll have to wait until next tax season to see if the gains made from tax-loss harvesting are worth their fees. I think they probably will be.

General consensus from the lay investment community is that they are broadly equivalent. Betterment seems better if you have over $100k to invest. Otherwise go with Wealthfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

No, but I use Betterment, which is very similar. Overall I am happy with it, although I'll have to wait until next tax season to see if the gains made from tax-loss harvesting are worth their fees. I think they probably will be.

General consensus from the lay investment community is that they are broadly equivalent. Betterment seems better if you have over $100k to invest. Otherwise go with Wealthfront.

I think neither are very good. I'm still using Ameritrade although the site has really started sucking this year. I execute less than 10 trades per year at $9.99 each with a portfolio way beyond 100k. The investment sites which charge a % of your portfolio every year are a terrible deal if you don't do many trades, which is how you ought to be investing anyway.

My only point there is that if you want to become wealthy, rather than wasting your time researching stocks, just invest in yourself. That is where you'll get the biggest payoff, by far. Unless you have a portfolio in the millions, it just isn't worth your time. Chances are 90% that you are going to have returns which are inferior to someone like me who just buys index funds. Beating the market is really hard. Stick to indexes, invest in yourself, don't waste your time trading stocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
hibikir wrote:

That said, there are many in America that really don't make enough money to do much saving. Is it really 65% of adults? No idea, as elections keep reminding me how completely out of touch I am compared to the average American. Apparently median household income in the US is 53K, and that sounds like enough for savings (It sure was enough for me, back when I made that, and my wife was in college).

I assume you did not have any kids back then? I have two and when counting my expenses it is pretty much the amount over 53K that I can save. (Which will probably go into college tuition at some point. ) And I am pretty sure that most people would consider my lifestyle quite frugal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.