Subject: Scenario 2: Got slaughtered, what are we doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all

After breezing through Quest 0 and 1 with ease we tackled scenario 2 "The Black Book" - twice.

Both times we were utterly overrun with only 2 or 3 doors opened. We didn't make it to either of the vaults and by the end of the 4th round just about every zombie mini was on the board, so most spawns were then "Extra Activations".

So are we doing it wrong?
1. Each game the characters all start back at BLUE level right?
2. Only 1 starting item per character right?
3. The 3 red spawn zones are all active right?
4. Every room opened up means draw a spawn card right?

Assuming these are all correct, a) the 50/50 door opening die roll was painful, b) we seem underpowered to face the horde.

I don't mind failing if there's been a gallant fight, but this was a tsunami of undead non-enjoyment.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

d3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
...the 50/50 door opening die roll was painful...

Right off the bat it seems you may be opening doors incorrectly. It's not necessarily one die to open a door - you roll the number of dice allowed by the weapon you are using to open the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
1. Each game the characters all start back at BLUE level right?

Correct.
d3nial wrote:
2. Only 1 starting item per character right?

Yes.
d3nial wrote:
3. The 3 red spawn zones are all active right?

Yes.
d3nial wrote:
4. Every room opened up means draw a spawn card right?

The first time a door is opened to the building, every building Zone connected to that door gets a Spawn card, yes. You choose the order (and it's often best to go from back to front).
d3nial wrote:
Assuming these are all correct, a) the 50/50 door opening die roll was painful, b) we seem underpowered to face the horde.

You should probably spend some time at the start searching for some good weapons while you are still at Blue Danger Level. The Zombies should take a while to reach you, so you can all go into one building and each Search it once per round.

Then try to open all the doors you can while still at Blue or Yellow. If you are picking up an objective, probably only do it with someone at 0 experience so they don't level up. Once you find one of the keys, you can ignore the other objectives, leaving them to help when you want to get someone to Red.

Use Necromancers wisely. If you're lucky, one will show up in a building. Let it come to you, and kill it, then take away the spawn token on the path that lets you access more doors, making it easier to reach them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, well we did try to open doors as quickly as possible. I'd read that advice here.

We managed to find a suit of armour and another sword but this didn't really make a lot of difference.

Maybe we just got bad die rolls and awful spawn cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:

Incidentally, what is your mix of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
In general, there is a "proper" way to start a game of zombicide. At the very start, open a door close to you, and search as much as possible before the horde reaches you. At that point you should hopefully be equipped enough to fight them off while you (maybe) search for better gear. At some point you'll either have the equipment you want, or be forced into leaving.

If you have characters with extra movement, you should use them to open doors a little further away, while still in the blue spawn level. Don't get too crazy doing this, however, because you don't want anyone left too far away and defenseless.

The necromancers and add ons add a bit of a twist to this strategy, as they can force you to try to rush across the board for one reason or another.

This game has a LOT of randomness in the spawns. Sometimes it will be super easy, and some times you'll be dead 4 turns in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clipper wrote:
d3nial wrote:

Incidentally, what is your mix of cards?

We are just using the core/base Black Plague set, no expansions.

Oh, I just thought of something, official rules are that you can repeatedly search a cleared room over and over right? That's how you buff up the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3nial wrote:
Oh, I just thought of something, official rules are that you can repeatedly search a cleared room over and over right? That's how you buff up the characters.

Yes! You are limited to one Search Action per Survivor turn, but there are no restrictions on how many times an individual Zone is Searched.

If you were limiting yourself to one Search per Zone, then that is why you had trouble, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
(Just in case), the red spawn zones spawn at the level of the highest survivor (blue, to start with), not at red level. Being swamped in 4 turns doesn't feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
(Just in case), the red spawn zones spawn at the level of the highest survivor (blue, to start with), not at red level. Being swamped in 4 turns doesn't feel right.

Agreed, at the start of the game a lot of the spawn zones will be spawning 0-1 zombies each turn, and the same when you open rooms. You will very likely still be in the blue zone at turn 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have also struggled a lot with this mission.

What I usually split the group in two at the beginning send 3 heroes "up," to the room farther away from all the others, and 3 heroes down and start opening doors and searching as soon as I can. Once I get the room farther away I start regrouping, while trying to keep the amount of zombies down and eliminating any necromancer.

For me the determining factor is whether you find the blue objective early on or not. If you do, you can get quicker to the vaults and then the center, without activating the green spawn zone. It will either take you longer to do so, or you will have to deal with 4 spawning zones.

Be careful, though, once you get to the center not to dismiss the necromancers. I have lost a couple of games that I thought I was going to win, because I got trapped on one side while the last necromancer escaped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
We played this game 3 games in a row and lost all 3. We were critically evaluating each and every move and we still lost. While the map is labeled "easy" I would say the map is definitely mislabeled. I would say this map is a "hard" level map for sure.

IMO, the way the two doors are closed in the beginning makes the game difficult if not impossible(?) to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Make that FOUR games in a row lost! Anyone else struggle with this map? I haven't yet tried quest #3. Is it near as hard as quest #2?

Quest #2 seems horribly unbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which two doors are you having trouble with? Where do you lose your Survivors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
Make that FOUR games in a row lost! Anyone else struggle with this map? I haven't yet tried quest #3. Is it near as hard as quest #2?

Man, it sure feels like you're doing something wrong. It shouldn't be that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Bghead8che wrote:

Man, it sure feels like you're doing something wrong. It shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah, we are getting creamed. Furthest point was half way. Looking back I think we made rookie mistakes (in succession) as we are well... rookies.

I think 90% of our problem is we are not searching enough. Even half way through the quest we will still have 1-2 survivors with basic weapons and/or low damage weapons from searching. I just don't think we are searching enough.

Our main issue is that we get overwhelmed by zombies. For example, last night almost every mini was on the board chasing (and eating) us and we still didn't make it to the center yet.

So I assume are issue is a lack of searching and possibly we should stay at the blue level for more rounds.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, try to stay at Blue for as long as possible. Have every investigator use one of their actions to Search every turn you can. Remember that it is fine to Search the same Zone over and over again. Have one or two geared up Survivors go around to open most of the doors while still in Blue if you can.

Stop picking up Objectives once you find the Blue or Green one, unless someone is behind on experience and needs to catch up. Move in two groups and have one make a bee-line for that door while the other cleans up Zombies. You should be able to finagle things so that each group alternates in how much noise is made. This will have the Zombies moving backwards and forwards each turn rather than focusing on a single group.

If a Necromancer spawns while you are opening doors, after you kill it, leave that Spawn Zone there and remove the one in the Blue Door or Green Door Zone instead (probably whichever is closer to the spawn Zone you just created so there is no short Necromancer path). If one Spawns in the Blue or Green Door Zones, remove the other one and hope that you find the now clear one.

If you can't clear the path to the correct door, you should be able to send someone in to open the door and then run back to safety so that you can clear out the Zombies that file out before heading in to clear out that last objective.

One final thing, you are playing with 6 Survivors, right? If you are playing with fewer, that would easily explain the difficulty you are seeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.