7,514 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Jake York
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm new to the site and the community. I've designed a game that involves tiles moving around the board and it's basically essential to have a raised border around the board to keep everything neat and in one place. Is this making things too complicated for development and conveying requirements to manufacturers?

I've sent off for quotes from a few places and haven't had much in the way of replies (after about 5 days). On that note, can anyone recommend a great company to have 1-10 prototypes done of a board game? I'm looking for cheap on price rather than quality at this early stage...

Thanks!

Jake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent Sushi Go Party! has cutouts in it to hold the menu items. Is that what you're looking for?

As to prototypes, I suspect "DIY" is what you should be looking at in the beginning. Basically make two boards and glue them together to make your "well".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No. But the publisher will tell you if the border will be in the box.

Settlers is well known for tiles slipping around, and gamers have certainly created "board support" for the game: https://www.google.com/search?q=settlers+of+catan+keep+tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake York
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks, I've done that already with cardboard but am looking at a more professional feel made by someone with actual craft skills. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could find someone local with a laser cutter. I don't know what exactly you are looking for but laser cut wood is pretty nice and can give you a really exact cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.