Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed he KS... I've read most every TWoM thread and watched some of the YouTube videos of the Orignal Steam game... My interest is definitely piqued.

I keep coming back to this forum... I go to the late backer link, load up the cart... yet can't pull the trigger on this one... why?

It's only £90/$100... I've spent more on less... Haven't I?

I love the story aspect.
I like that there are multiple characters.
I like that everything lives on the board.

I am not sure I like the city exploration implementation but understand the need to minimize the table (playing surface) sprawl.

I enjoy the naratives and character building of Kingdom Death: Monster and Agents of SMERSH, emotional attachments to the characters be damned.

I guess my fear is that I'll get the game and it will end up in the pile of unplaced games... The one saving grace is that TWoM will truly play solo or co-op... Grrrr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Remember: This game is not a happy game which will end up with a good mood for everyone. It's a hard topic and if you play with (for example) 4 people, some may ask you when the funny part will start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy, especially with KS items, to feel you have to buy now. You don't. I'd wait and see whether it lives up to the hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the computer game, I think the boardgame is more of the same. Personally, thats a really really good thing!

I think if you like storytelling games this one is going to scratch a similar itch, and personally I think there arent enough of these game types
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Try the computer game, I think the boardgame is more of the same. Personally, thats a really really good thing!

That's exactly what I'm thinking, and hoping. I really liked the computer game, but felt there were two major "flaws".

One isn't really a flaw, but I don't really like how time progresses in the game. I'm feeling stressed all the time, because I feel that I don't have enough time to check what everyone wants and needs, what I need to do or build to address those needs, and what materials I will need to gather for that. A lot of people have expressed that they like this mechanic, and I think the board game companion app has a timer that can be used to apply something similar to the board game experience. But I really don't like it, and since it can't be turned off in the computer game, I think that the more turn based nature of the board game will suit me better.

The second I really think is a flaw, and that is that I can't really share my experiences in the computer game with anyone else. Sure, my wife could sit in front of the computer with me, but we can't both do stuff at the same time, and the above mentioned time pressure means that we wouldn't have time to discuss and make decisions together. This is where the board game medium really excels, and the reason this campaign was insta-back for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one major weakness I fear this game may have: limited replayability due to the choose-your-own-adventure aspects of it. Should be a really engaging experience the first couple times through, but after that I wonder how much I will be coming back to it.

Outside of that one worry, the rest of the game looks really solid to me. I love base-building and the decision making that goes along with that type of game. And as far as the setting goes, you can tell the designers are really trying to bring us something different here. Their obvious passion for bringing us a unique experience was what sealed the deal for me. I'll pay the $100 for that passion, even if it doesn't end up as replayable as I would usually like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Exo Desta wrote:
The one major weakness I fear this game may have: limited replayability due to the choose-your-own-adventure aspects of it. Should be a really engaging experience the first couple times through, but after that I wonder how much I will be coming back to it.

Outside of that one worry, the rest of the game looks really solid to me. I love base-building and the decision making that goes along with that type of game. And as far as the setting goes, you can tell the designers are really trying to bring us something different here. Their obvious passion for bringing us a unique experience was what sealed the deal for me. I'll pay the $100 for that passion, even if it doesn't end up as replayable as I would usually like.

Replayability is always a subjective thing, but this board game definitely falls on the "highly replayable" category:

1. Different starting characters. This means different abilities and weakpoints.

2. The order of "ideas" you receive is random, unlike the computer game. This can change things significantly because in one game you might get to build beds and stoves early, and the next game you might get heaters and mouse traps first.

3. It's near impossible to get the same items/trades every game. An early knife/gun will make exploration and night guard a lot safer, but the next game you might get tons of foods and medicines but no weapons. This completely changes your priorities.

4. Location of exploration is randomized, and if not mistaken so is the potential findings (there are biases involved, like hospital has high chance for medicines, but is still by chance).

5. The events themselves are random, although controlled (Winter is always late game, for example).

6. Lastly, the Book of Script and it's 1000 different tiny stories. This is just the base game, without counting the additional 200 stories from the Memories expansion.

7. Very lastly, there's the game scenarios. You can either play the game normally or choose one of the game scenarios with different setups, events and maybe winning conditions. Base game comes with two scenarios and expansions offer three more (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think replayability is as subjective as people make it out to be. For example I agree with you that all of those points you list give the game replayability, so allow me to be clear: the rest of the game looks great. It's the depending on the book of scripts that worries me in terms of longterm replayability.

But maybe they will pull it off -- if there are enough branches in the story, enough choices that we have to make within each event, there may be enough mystery in there to keep me coming back for the repeated plays that I want out of this badboy. But if most of them have just one choice, and once you go that direction once, the next time you come across that entry you'll know how that particular decision panned out -- the game at that point is asking you a completely different question than what's written in that entry: "Do you want to play the game out like you did previously, or do you want to see what happens down that other route?"

That's not captivating gameplay in my eyes.

Now will the rest of the game be strong enough to bring me back? That may be the case. I just worry about the book of scripts being a strength of the game at first, but then becoming a detriment.

But I could be wrong. Hopefully I am.

Edit: Just had an idea of how they could circumvent this (possible) issue. What if each playable character in the game was given a Temperment. Color coded maybe. Like some characters are calm and level-headed by nature (blue), some are more unhinged (red), others are just out for themselves (green), etc. And depending on the makeup of your group of individuals, they would react differently to a particular event.

So, if you come across an event that you've already fully explored in previous plays, you can (or must?) instead rely on the makeup of your group to determine what happens (ie. If you have a majority of Green PCs, you must choose the Green Color Coded outcome in the event book; or something like that).

Would take the decision-making part of the events out of your hands, so you wouldn't want to use something like this at first, but after you've played the game enough -- could take an odious part of the game and breath some life back into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Andrei
Romania
Constanta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I m sure that replayability won t be an issue. I think that one year from now, the developers will release a new storybook with 1000 small stories, numbered the same like the current one, and the new 1000 stories will take over the old ones. And thats it. No need for anything else to replay the game over and over. Just a book with 1000 stories. I also bought the game with late pledge 3 days ago. The minis look amazing and i can t wait to paint them all. I like very much that it can be played solo. I think that this is the best solo boardgame ever created. I m not sure that multiplayer will work very good. I think that the game was intended for solo play, and the multiplayer it s just an addon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Each decision in the Book of Script is not static, it involves dice rolling and you get different results depending on what you roll and sometimes things change if you have a certain item/character present. In most decisions in the Book of Script, you also need to roll dices for each character present to determine how badly it affects them, and certain events will cause a "lasting effect" where you get to read what happens to him/her after the game ends.

From this it is easy to conclude that it's very difficult to have a game "play out exactly the same as before" even if you make all the same choices (which is very unlikely to begin with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misfiring wrote:
Each decision in the Book of Script is not static, it involves dice rolling and you get different results depending on what you roll and sometimes things change if you have a certain item/character present. In most decisions in the Book of Script, you also need to roll dices for each character present to determine how badly it affects them, and certain events will cause a "lasting effect" where you get to read what happens to him/her after the game ends.

From this it is easy to conclude that it's very difficult to have a game "play out exactly the same as before" even if you make all the same choices (which is very unlikely to begin with).

This is very good to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misfiring wrote:

Even if you could try to play it the same/different than the time before, depending on the situation you'd almost be forced to make a certain decision (if you want to survive at least). Say you run into an event where you needed to give away food and didnt just because you were greedy (shame on you!). If you run into that event again and you feel that you want to see what the new outcome will be, you wont be able to because you'll starve!

Long story short, I think theres so many variables going on that it'll feel different on each play through regardless of repeated events or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
United Kingdom
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Andrei123 wrote:
I m sure that replayability won t be an issue. I think that one year from now, the developers will release a new storybook with 1000 small stories, numbered the same like the current one, and the new 1000 stories will take over the old ones. And thats it. No need for anything else to replay the game over and over. Just a book with 1000 stories. I also bought the game with late pledge 3 days ago. The minis look amazing and i can t wait to paint them all. I like very much that it can be played solo. I think that this is the best solo boardgame ever created. I m not sure that multiplayer will work very good. I think that the game was intended for solo play, and the multiplayer it s just an addon.

I'm not worried about the replayability, however I was interested in your comments about it being a solo game with other players 'added on'

I have the opposite view. The campaign stressed the value of the group dynamics and the need to discuss options. That's why you dont actually play as a character. Clearly this will be lost playing solo do I am concerned the games major selling point will be missing in solo.

So I'd be interested in why you think this will be the best solo boardgame ever created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Andrei123 wrote:

I'm not worried about the replayability, however I was interested in your comments about it being a solo game with other players 'added on'

I have the opposite view. The campaign stressed the value of the group dynamics and the need to discuss options. That's why you dont actually play as a character. Clearly this will be lost playing solo do I am concerned the games major selling point will be missing in solo.

So I'd be interested in why you think this will be the best solo boardgame ever created.

It'll be great for solo because that'll be the only thing missing... The fact that the game will play the same regardless of number of players is exactly what'll make it great which means solo won't really be missing out on anything other than that social interaction/banter point which wouldn't be much considering there doesn't appear to be any hidden information/choices only available to 1 player at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are you adding to the game?

It costs £50 + P&P and the base game is fine. Really you don't need any of the add-ons.

The only exception is the scenerios pack, which while there is 1/2 in the base game it does offer more of the short session games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it seems like the base £50 box has enough...

The £90 was for:
Collector's Edition (has art book)
2 Expansions not in base box
Rubble Die
...and the stupid Cat mini

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well there you go if your paying to collect that's fine, but the base game with the pile of KS stuff is fine.

I added the scenerios to adapt/introduce the game to the different groups I play with.

Plus the memories which whilst "stories" are important to the game I don't know if the will really enhance it but got it just in case.

That moggy is a really weird looking cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't start, you should have seen the first one they came up with! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
Don't start, you should have seen the first one they came up with! blush

I kinda liked OwlCat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.