$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 102.57

6,460 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Tholian faction in the works, I assume. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as how one of the Encounter cards makes mention of how the hazard on the card can be ignored by Tholians, I guess that confirms we will be seeing Loskene's cronies in the game eventually. Pretty cool. I would assume their starting tech would be the ubiquitous webs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Seeing as how one of the Encounter cards makes mention of how the hazard on the card can be ignored by Tholians, I guess that confirms we will be seeing Loskene's cronies in the game eventually. Pretty cool. I would assume their starting tech would be the ubiquitous webs.


I would assume you are correct and I can't wait!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I could see them having an advancement like this one:

-opposing players must stop on any Tholians controlled systems.

And maybe some extra bonuses to having ships in one location outside of a fleet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Tholian expansion does not come with a can of silly string, I am not buying it.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
I could see them having an advancement like this one:

-opposing players must stop on any Tholians controlled systems.

And maybe some extra bonuses to having ships in one location outside of a fleet.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
If the Tholian expansion does not come with a can of silly string, I am not buying it.


silly string is extra! but a fun idea lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I find it odd considering the Tholans while a space faring race was only seen in TOS for 1 Episode and never in TNG. (Same could be said for the Gorn).

To be fair I think the dominion would make a better faction and then there is also the Borg. But the thing is those two factions come from the other side of the galaxy so you would need a Bajoran Wormhole system and a Transwarp network system then you would need to make another space leaving those two quadrants the Gamma and Delta Quadrants separate from each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Marinealver wrote:
I find it odd considering the Tholans while a space faring race was only seen in TOS for 1 Episode and never in TNG. (Same could be said for the Gorn).

To be fair I think the dominion would make a better faction and then there is also the Borg. But the thing is those two factions come from the other side of the galaxy so you would need a Bajoran Wormhole system and a Transwarp network system then you would need to make another space leaving those two quadrants the Gamma and Delta Quadrants separate from each other.


They were also seen in ENT as a 2 part and are mentioned in TNG. They are an insular species who don't like to leave thier territory.

They are in a bunch of books and are considered very hostile and aggressive.

I think the problem of deployment could be solved for the Borg and the dominion could be solved with a single system. For the Borg just have a trans warp conduit hub and for the Dominion have the Bajoran wormhole. These could represent the resources that they are getting from thier sides of the Galaxy. You don't have to conquer them, just thier access point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Marinealver wrote:
I find it odd considering the Tholans while a space faring race was only seen in TOS for 1 Episode and never in TNG. (Same could be said for the Gorn).

To be fair I think the dominion would make a better faction and then there is also the Borg. But the thing is those two factions come from the other side of the galaxy so you would need a Bajoran Wormhole system and a Transwarp network system then you would need to make another space leaving those two quadrants the Gamma and Delta Quadrants separate from each other.


They were also seen in ENT as a 2 part and are mentioned in TNG. They are an insular species who don't like to leave their territory.

They are in a bunch of books and are considered very hostile and aggressive.

I think the problem of deployment could be solved for the Borg and the dominion could be solved with a single system. For the Borg just have a trans warp conduit hub and for the Dominion have the Bajoran wormhole. These could represent the resources that they are getting from their sides of the Galaxy. You don't have to conquer them, just their access point.


Well GF9 was talking about isolationist strategy in the game. Still I hope it doesn't get as strong as the Eclipse isolationist strategy but I can see Borg and Dominion with the Delta/Gamma quadrant as an isolationist set up having their own quadrant that can only be accessed through the wormhole/transwarp system or other events such as Array/Q/Iconian gateway. You don't really need to make the more powerful at the start because the isolation will allow them to gather resource and level up completely. You just have to make them need to invade the alpha/beta quadrant to finish the game and when they do they will be rather power-leveled up because they didn't have to compete for as much early-mid game resources.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well other than 1 TOS series and some mentions in DS9 with a non agression pact with the dominion there is not much to go. Good thing that a race only needs 1 ship type to be in the game. But here is a fan film that puts them into perspective. It even puts in a couple of double pod ships.


Definitely see them as an isolationist race that won't colonize Warp Capable systems or make Hegemony attempts (sort of like reverse federation) Howver they are very attuned with stellar phenomena and I can see them being able to build and gain resources in stellar phenomina and gain culture from those places.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Well other than 1 TOS series and some mentions in DS9 with a non agression pact with the dominion there is not much to go. Good thing that a race only needs 1 ship type to be in the game. But here is a fan film that puts them into perspective. It even puts in a couple of double pod ships.


Definitely see them as an isolationist race that won't colonize Warp Capable systems or make Hegemony attempts (sort of like reverse federation) Howver they are very attuned with stellar phenomena and I can see them being able to build and gain resources in stellar phenomina and gain culture from those places.


And appearances in a two parter of ENT.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Marinealver wrote:
Well other than 1 TOS series and some mentions in DS9 with a non aggression pact with the dominion there is not much to go. Good thing that a race only needs 1 ship type to be in the game. But here is a fan film that puts them into perspective. It even puts in a couple of double pod ships.


Definitely see them as an isolationist race that won't colonize Warp Capable systems or make Hegemony attempts (sort of like reverse federation) However they are very attuned with stellar phenomena and I can see them being able to build and gain resources in stellar phenomena and gain culture from those places.


And appearances in a two parter of ENT.

We do not talk about the Star Trek series that does not have an orchestra symphony opening.

Joking aside that was the mirror Tholians, However if the Mirror verse were to be a thing it could make it for the tholians to jump eaisly between them. And with the Mirror vers in place the Terran Empire could be added. Perhaps put in some mirror verse rules for Tholains and Terrans similar to the gamma/delta quadrant rules I suggested. But then again we will start to be getting off to too many side maps (main, delta, gamma, mirror).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.