5,756 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.3% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Christopher John Dancel
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi,

Just a question on the Core Set scenarios and expansion Scenarios. Do the expansions allow you to add new cards to the encounter decks from the core set and vice versa? Or are these scenarios self contained meaning only the encounter cards for a specific scenario will be used regardless of the number of expansions you buy for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With each 'cycle' of expansions the original set of encounter cards in either the core or Deluxe set are used, alongside a new quests' encounter cards, issued with each adventure pack.

So cycles for both the Core set and the Deluxe expansions work the same way, i.e. there are an initial set of encounter cards, usually used for up to three initial scenarios, then there are are subsequent cycle of 6 scenarios released for that set, each offering further encounter card sets, which are mixed with some of the initial encounter cards to create each new quest..

I think I'm right in saying you need the Core set, (or the deluxe expansion), in order to play each of the corresponding cycle of 6 scenarios which follow that particular set.

Each cycle will utilises a mix of the encounter cards from the Deluxe set, together with new ones from the corresponding adventure packs in that cycle.

I don't believe there's an individual quest/ expansion that works entirely from its own encounter deck, (outside of playing just the deluxe expansions, obviously ).

Correction: (It seems the Print on Demand quests do operate in isolation wit their own unique encounter card set. I have yet to play any of those, so was not able to comment)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general pattern is:
- Every scenario has its own specific encounter set that comes with it.
- The Core Set and deluxe expansions have additional encounter sets that are used within that box's scenarios and also scenarios from the corresponding cycle of APs, but nowhere else.
- Saga expansions may have additional encounter sets that are used in multiple scenarios within that expansion.
- POD scenarios are complete self-contained encounter decks.

So, the only cases where encounter cards from a box are needed when playing scenarios in other boxes are that you need the Core Set or corresponding deluxe expansion to play any ordinary AP's scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also more difficult versions of many quests, which are called Nightmare Decks. Those mix in with the original cards (some get removed, some get added) to create a harder version of the same scenario.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above.

Each encounter deck is built usually has 1-4 encounter sets, one of which is specific to that quest (eg print on demand adventures are a single encounter set).

For example, from the Core set

Passage to Mirkwood quest uses the following sets:
Passage to Mirkwood
Spiders of Mirkwood
Dol Guldur Orcs

Journey Down the Anduin uses:
Journey down the Anduin
Sauron's Reach
Dol Guldur Orcs
Wilderlands

In these examples the Dol Guldur orcs encounter set will be present in both of these quests/encounter decks.

In general the core or deluxe sets come with several encounter sets. These are then used to be combined in various orders with the corresponding quest/adventure pack encounter set which then creates the corresponding quest. This can add great flavour and theme by allowing similar areas or enemies to be encountered across radically different quests.

Helpfully then some people design their own combination of encounter sets like these here. With new quest cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The above posters already covered how the encounter cards work, that all cycles are self-contained.

Every cycle starts with a deluxe (big box) expansion, and is followed with six adventure packs. The only thing you need to play each adventure pack is the deluxe expansion that corresponds with that cycle. For the first cycle, the core set functions as that deluxe expansion.

The only things from the core set that carries over into all cycles are the tokens and the player cards. None of the deluxe expansions come with tokens, which is why they all say the core set is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Would the rules or you recommend to add the Nightmare cards added to the regular cards without removing any of the regular ones, just to have a bigger number of different cards without making it much more difficult? I'm thinking about buying them, because I heard there were not just harder cards to deal with, but different ones (different names) that are not in the regular game. I just want to give myself some more different kinds of surprises in such a deck without making it much harder, and I want this game to be as complete as it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.