Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: What is the point? Hive mind request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
So. I peruse cars on Craigslist semi frequently.

What is the point of spamming Craigslist with the same car a dozen times each day with no contact information and odd descriptions?

Example:
https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/5820990860.html

They are all titled differently but in a similar fashion. Random word, digits (possibly disguised to be a model year, but often not), make, model, random letters

presenceO3 Jeep Rubiconocxqllmrioow - $2500

primaryO3 Jeep Rubiconcvlj - $2500

Often the price will vary by 2 or 3 or 10 dollars.

Also, the photo may be identical from post to post or it may be a different shot of the same car.

A sucker would at least need a way to contact the "seller"?

What's the point?

Edit: ok. So the one I chose, and there could have been at least 4 different cars fitting the criteria today, did have a contact number. Others don't.

That vehicle was posted at least a half dozen times today and each of the last several days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly someone testing an account generation script...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Possibly spam placeholders, as we've seen on BGG from time to time. The idea is that the post as seen gets accepted as semi-legitimate. Later it is edited to contain the spam. And by that time it should have made its way onto search engine indexes, which can be important to spammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

What's the point?

I'm guessing that the craigslist email relay link is active for each of these listings, yes?

In my continuing quest to declutter Chez Gambit, I've become a rather active seller on my local CL, and have noticed a new phenomenon in responses to my listings -- I frequently get responses that are generic and lacking details, and yet sometimes apply a little pressure at the same time. They read something like "I'm interested in your item and would like to buy it today", without ever mentioning the item specifically or questioning any details about it, and if a contact number is provided, the area code is someplace else that often comes up linked to "scams" if I google it.

Since a polite but equally generic response from me never gets another note from them, I've concluded that these ad replies are fishing for my cell phone number, which so many folks just automatically supply. Perhaps the odd and repeated car listings that you've noticed are the flip side of the same coin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
People are talking in code over Craigslist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I'm not sure, but that same Jeep is for sale here in Austin:

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5821590651.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kansas City has a few dozen of them for sale as well:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5821629479.html

Definitely some sort of widespread spamming or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing upwards... ever faster!
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
There are well over 100 of these for sale in Saint Louis.

(Some sort of drug-dealer code?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Craigslist wrote:
No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email. "Send Note!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see stuff like this near the bottom of the post:
Yours: "2O5"`719`3688
Chapel: +2O5+=719=3688
Andrew: +2O5+=719=3688

Googling for that number got me to:
http://callername.com/2057193688

Which has the following stories showing this is a scam:

Quote:
9 days ago:
I sent a text to this number in connection to a 2003 red Jeep that is for sale on Craig's list. I received a text back stating that he was selling the Jeep for his mom and gave me an email linda@kuuxe.com. So emailed her. She said that she was at a military post and the Jeep was with her. She was about to be deployed so if I sent 2500.00 and my shipping info she would have Amazon ship the Jeep because they were handling the whole deal. The Jeep was listed as being in Red Hook NY which is just a few miles from me. That's why I was interested. SCAM

a month ago:
This person is scamming people on craigslist trying to sell vehicles for his mom he claims. He gives u a email to his mom and she claims to be getting deployment in military and she will tell u she has to shippe the car to u and wants u to send her $2500 before she shipps it to u. They will tell u the car is in utah. So beaware

Original source for the images used by the scammer:
http://www.cantweightclassics.com/2003-Jeep-Rubicon-Red-23k....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.