Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I never played former Viticulture versions, but I used to read that Viticulture really needed Tuscany expansion to be (very) good. It seamed to be one of those rare expansions that really turns game into gold.

Now with the Essential Edition of Viticulture, some parts of old Tuscany are already in the core box. Are those parts enough to make Viticulture excellent, or does it still miss Tuscany's part to be excellent?

I mean for sure Tuscany Essential will bring more value to the game, but does the Essential core game still lack some game mechanics as it used to be with the first editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The extended board in Tuscany and the Structure module are the best parts about Tuscany (for me), so I would say it's essential if you already enjoy Viticulture EE. I wouldn't say Viticulture EE is lacking even without the expansion though, you don't need the expansion to make the game good, it just adds more depth with the extended board and structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Girts Perkons
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Base game has parts from old Tuscany and is fully functional 2.5 family game. Tuscany Essential turns it into a bigger beast with more variety sub 3.0. (In my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
The new action space that allows you to trade useless junk (particularly cards) for other things smooths out the game so much that it really should have been in the Essential Edition in the first place.

Everything else is either merely "nice" or adds variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
The new action space that allows you to trade useless junk (particularly cards) for other things smooths out the game so much that it really should have been in the Essential Edition in the first place.

Everything else is either merely "nice" or adds variety.

The ability to place stars gives you alternative to the draw spaces, to ease congestion. Also, being able to build or give a tour in the fall helps, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakawette wrote:
Hi.

I never played former Viticulture versions, but I used to read that Viticulture really needed Tuscany expansion to be (very) good. It seamed to be one of those rare expansions that really turns game into gold.

Now with the Essential Edition of Viticulture, some parts of old Tuscany are already in the core box. Are those parts enough to make Viticulture excellent, or does it still miss Tuscany's part to be excellent?

I mean for sure Tuscany Essential will bring more value to the game, but does the Essential core game still lack some game mechanics as it used to be with the first editions?

Viticulture Essential Edition is by itself an excellent game (in my Top10 of all time), now that it has been tweaked (from 1st edition) and now that it adds some stuff from the original Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture. We have played more than 30 times in like 2-3 months my wife and me and it's now her favorite board game. And the game still is fun to play after all these plays. But I would be lying if I'm not eager for Tuscany Essential Edition to be shipped as, after that many plays, it start to be a bit repetitive. I still enjoy playing the game, and almost never turn down a game when my wife ask for it, but I'm ready for the new challenges the new 4-season boards brings and also the other expansions like the new structures. But, it's still more than 30 games out of Viticulture Essential Edition which is a lot more than most people play out of their games. I'm just ready for the next step from this game, and eager to experience myself if Tuscany, will bring this game to the awesome level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend getting Tuscany EE. We have Viticulture second edition as well as full Tuscany and have used every module with the exception of the mafia trading, due to the fact that almost all games have been two player.

Out of all the modules, we'll probably never play with patronage, formaggio or arboriculture modules again. Patronage because the cards are seldom used and rarely beneficial. Formaggio and arboriculture are interesting but just not necessary. There's already so much going on in the game and these become an afterthought.

I really think they nailed it with the EE by selecting the cream of the crop. As others have stated, the extended board is a must have and the structures and special workers add so much value to the game. They fit into the viticulture formula seamlessly without adding much complexity.

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Espejo Vigil
United Kingdom
Guildford
flag msg tools
I played Viticulture EE and loved it (it's on the way!). Also managed to get Tuscany EE (haven't played either Tuscany yet). Just digged a bit and realised I won't be able to get/play a few of the modules of the original Tuscany.

Am I missing much? Arboriculture and Formaggio looked nice. Last poster (tfoz15) says he won't miss them but I'm feeling a bit "darn, should've found this game earlier!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks later, here I am again.
I got Tuscany EE and to answer my own question : yes it is a must have. It adds so much to the game through the extended board that I would not played without it except if new unexperienced players.

Structures & special workers are also great of course, but the biggest ++ goes to the extended board for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Karhan
msg tools
You can now find the formaggio board on the Stonemaier games site under the Tuscany rules section. I had the same concern that I was missing out, so I contacted Jamey and he put it up for personal use. Just print out 6 boards, stick them on some cardboard and get some tokens for cows and extra glass beads, as well as something to mark if you've made the extra cellar.

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/tuscany/rules/

It's underneath the automa link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.