Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moray Grant
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook can be found on Pearl Games website
http://www.pearlgames.be/downloads/DEUS_EGYPT_RULES_ENG_30_0...

What do you all think about how it wiull play out?

Below I have written an overview and some thoughts. Personally this is an auto but as Deus has been a big hit for my group and I'm keen to give it fresh legs.

I'm very excited about the core idea in that you are effectively switching decks to bring a new experience to the game. Egypt certainly looks like it will be notably different experience than original game if you go for a full switch.

Alternatively you can choose to switch just one or a few of the card sets (such as all of the blue or yellow cards). I feel I will playing with one or the other deck in the short term.

New concepts and tokens

There are new definitions included in the rules. An ocean is constructed of contiguous water tiles. Some cards will count rank which is based on t's placement within a column. Also introduced is one time effects. That is when a card is played something happens but it will not be triggered again by playing new cards in the same column.

Some buildings now have a prerequisite of other buildings to be present already. For example the Lighthouse cannot be built unless you have two buildings in the location you want to build it in already.

We get a market place which blue cards interact with to affect the cost to buy goods and how many VPs they are worth for majority at t the end of the game. We also gain barques which set a limit to how many goods you can store and also interact with the production/green cards. You can gain more barques through production/green cards.

in terms of tokens get a scribe counter which interacts with the orange cards for point scoring and combat counters which are reminder markers for a variety of things for the red cards.

Overview of the cards

Blue/Trade deck

All the blue cards have on time effects that change the market values of goods. The market board has three values for goods and all goods start at 4 gold per good and 2VP for majority. The other values are 2 gold and 1 VP or 6 gold and 3 VP. Otherwise for the most part blue cards are similar in what they have previously done in trading goods and gold for goods, gold or VP. On card Souk actually allows you move a boat token within an ocean in addition to purchasing goods which is a new effect within blue but thematic.

The market I feel will add a new level of interactivity to the game in seeing where players are short on or need for trading VPs and hiking up prices to stifle plans. Alternatively taking advantage of low prices and piggybacking.

Green/Production deck

All the green cards have a one time effect that gives you more barques which are on, two or three in size. You cannot have more goods than you spaces on barques at the end of turn and you can move goods freely across barques at any time. This add a resource management element which wasn't present in the original game where you could stockpile. How much of restriction the barques will be I am not sure until I play but this interests me on how it will affect planning. There are a few twisits on productions including Mill which varies in cost with which rank it is built at and gives a corresponding pay out. (Eg. rank 2 is 2 gold and will pay out 2 of a good that matches a production building location.)Also Outsourced Production which generates good types based on adjacent locations.

Yellow/Science

All the yellow cards have one of effects and there is a heavy theme around building tokens on you player board. For example the Manufactory has a one time effect to gain VPs for each pair of wooden buildings on your player board. There appears to be slightly less card draw in yellow than previous but more interesting combo building effects through "wooden buildings matter" or effects which allow to trigger other buildings multiple times and this you are not restricted to colour but instead have to invest or match rank. I really quite like the Architects Warehouse which has a one time effect of gaining buildings until you have two of each on your player board and it's regular effect allows you draw cards off of the discard pile.

Orange/Civic

While the cards incorporate the scribe counter I feel the big change here is that orange deck lost its gold gaining cards. There are none, instead it it is all about he VPs. There are no one time effects associated with the colour. That said the scribe really matters and I think players may need to plan more effectively to get the most out scoring points in orange. When you build a civic building the scribe will travel to that location before you cards activate. Where you scribe is counts for many of the cards. An example is the Remote House where you will score VPs for each empty space (non barbarian) adjacent to your scribe.

Red/Combat

Purple/Temples

Dramatic change in direction. Temples are no longer only about the end game scoring. Instead they now offer ongoing effects and a few offer additional means of scoring through the game. This means getting a temple early and trying to rush for a second is an interesting prospect.

Final Thoughts

I'm most excited about the market and barques mechanics. I'm interested to see if the possible manipulation and constraints will matter and change up how I will play. Orange changes look the least interesting but I feel orange is now more important with the temple VPs being significantly reduced.

Edit: will return to finish, didn't intend to write nearly as much as this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the analysis. Off to read that rule book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.