Subject: Could some hobbyist create a resource track please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuli Holopainen
Finland
Haapamäki
Keski-Suomi
flag msg tools
One thing I think is completely unnecessary price increaser in Nations is all the resource tokens. Money, VPs, Food, Ore.

It had been much better had they done a resource track for them.

However, I just recently saw some real nice hobby made score track for Settlers of Catan - card game: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22791/catancardgamebo...

Therefore, perhaps someone could make something similar for Nations so i can both get rid of resource tokens as well as follow up the game situation easier.

And if you can take the extra effort of making score markers as well for each color, since unfortunately the original game doesnt have any extra markers included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fast 4X eurogame Kickstarting in January
badge
First game is Tribes in January, participate in development on dev.teatimeproductions.se!
mbmbmbmbmb
During a large part of development we actually had tracks for resources. I really like the tokens, for me the game is nicer and faster than with the tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I prefer tokens too. You can't mess with them as you can inadvertendly with meeples on tracks, and too many tracks just look silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Yeah I prefer tokens too. You can't mess with them as you can inadvertendly with meeples on tracks, and too many tracks just look silly.

N
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found some already (some time ago) in the files section... not sure if they are still there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuli Holopainen
Finland
Haapamäki
Keski-Suomi
flag msg tools
Seems im in minority here then preferring tracks over tokens.

For me it is also the exact opposite reason than for the rest it seems.

For I have found that it is easier to get messed with tokens than with score track, although, I do admit that it isnt rare in games to notice someone knocked markers in score track and then comes the "Where was that marker before?" situation.

But, that actually brings me a thought which i will try out next time in any score track game. I am going to start carrying with me a small piece of that sticky rubber (i dont know the english name for it), and attach a bit of it to bottom of each marker, that way the accidental knocking problem should be gone and markers only move when they are actually moved.

Another benefit from resource tracks is that it is much easier to follow that beginners are paying and giving right amount of resources.

I especially hate the part when sometimes it happens to someone is getting for example 7 resources of something, and then he gives 5 token away, to get himself 10 token and two 1 tokens instead, or that is what he is supposed to do, but unfortunately he calculates it wrong and doesnt even realise it even after you point it out to him. Or even worse, he gives x amount of smaller tokens to get bigger tokens in pretty similar situation, but after having given it, he remembers wrong the amount of tokens he gave to bank, and if you yourself is only one who actually calcilated/remember what he had, then it is annoying situation, either you argue about it, or the other player might get advatage out of getting 1 extra token thanks to miscalculating and misremembering the situation. Of course it is always possible that it was me who remembered wrong, but that still ruins the game a bit thinking someone got unfair advantage.

Scoretrack makes these problems less occuring as you can always see how many everyone has just by a glimpse.

Also, some people want to hide their resources from other players, and then you need to take a break from rulebook to point out if that is allowed or not, and sometimes you rather not point it out to just get the game flowing forward, although you would want to know the amount of resources others have to plan your move accordingly.

Anyway, I would still prefer someone making a resource track.

And yes, there are many resource track files that track the amont of resources you are about to get in nations "files", but I didnt see any that would actually keep track on how many of them you currently have in stock, which is what i would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fast 4X eurogame Kickstarting in January
badge
First game is Tribes in January, participate in development on dev.teatimeproductions.se!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracks work fine too, please use instead if you and your group is happier that way. If you or someone else creates them then please upload here too, I am certain there are others that prefer playing that way as well.

I was not really clear in my post above, during development we had tracks for both how much you produce of everything and how much you have stored of everything. It came from early in development when comparisons between players for other production was important, not just for Strength and Stability.

It is definitely more clear to have tracks like this, you do not have to recalculate as often and not have to ask the others as often, but creates quite a bit of upkeep that is just not as fun as picking up the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.