D-Day at Tarawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Japanese Tanks-designers intent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Gabrielli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Sorry, but I am going to harp on this one last time, perhaps John could give me his intent on the rules.
Japanese armor on Tarawa (Type 97s)played no intent on the outcome of the battle (as was the case in most battles), anyone who read the interviews with Petty Officer Tadao Oonuki- a 97 commander on the island-will know this.
Knowing this and the rule that states Japanese armor ALWAYS fire with the armor bonus, why is the armor so overpowered in the game? Once again I would say if a ranged american attack -WITH ARMOR- is engaging japanese tanks, the japanese weapons needed to attack requirement printed on the counter should be nullified for that attack.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
There is no doubt that the 37mm on the type 97 cannot take out a Sherman from the front without a lucky (super lucky) hit. But it can and did knock out track and disable main guns on Tarawa. Side and rear shots it could perhaps penetrate an engine compartment. Ultimately those are tactical concerns that don't apply universally in an operational level game, which is what I would argue DD@T is.

I feel similarly to you that the Japanese tanks are overpowered somewhat, particularly in their AT capabilities, and I house ruled that the type 97 had to be in adjacent hex to count as being AT, or if the anti-tank symbol was on the tank's fire card (for any fire dot). You will probably like that approach.

I also gave US tanks the same extra card in close combat that type 97s get, but only if they enter from the same hex as a marine.). But the defenses of the Type 97s I do not mess with. The units were critically important mobile pillbox especially on Tarawa and they are the most unpredictable unit of the Japanese defense and as such if you make them too easy to kill you are going to deprive the AI of one of its most important mechanics. The +1 to fire dot range is by far their greatest impact. US tanks so rarely survive long or far anyway.

The Japanes ones shouldn't survive long either given how frequently they move forward. I don't think any of the 3 counters require weapons that are hard to find on the marines or that can be substituted by a hero/hero-HQ/long game engineer support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.