1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] | 

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 563: There’s No Kind Of Atmosphere rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 563: There’s No Kind Of Atmosphere
6 Player all expansions game to Ionian Nebula, including Final Five, Personal Goals and the Cylon Fleet Board

Welcome to the start of BSG 563: There’s No Kind Of Atmosphere. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used. Finally, thanks to Ed Hennessey who moderated my first PBF game and from whom I've shamelessly "borrowed" and adapted this opening preamble. whistle

Our Crew:

snarksandboojums as Athena
aforeignstranger as Karl "Helo" Agathon (Pilot)
anatinus as Helena Cain
RyanC77 as Lee Adama (Political)
Nietreche as Doc Sherman Cottle
ianwright as Gaius Baltar (Political)

Invites sent to:
boltana – DECLINED
Furunkel – NON RESPONDED
Nietreche – IN
mihaild – DECLINED
anatinus – IN
RyanC77 - IN

Alternates:
snarksandboojums – IN
ianwright – IN
Keisus - DECLINED

2nd round of alternates:
aforeignstranger - IN
dezzmont
Xodan

Players (and alternates) will have until 7pm GMT on Wednesday 12 October 2016 to respond before I send out further invites.

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

If, at some point, you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a GeekMail and I'll get you the relevant information.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

There is an expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 24 hours of inactivity, I may make your decision for you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

Do note that if there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.

d10-3 All communication between players relating to this game must occur in this thread ONLY.

Anything that needs to be communicated privately by me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "BSG 563: Starbuck - Secret Destiny Use"). Please do not forget the description as without a description it can be quite difficult to find specific instructions when needed later on.

d10-4 Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavour can be found in this compilation.

Courtesy of Mike Bonn, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Mike_Bonn wrote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner. I used 565008 to generate the one in this post.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded, but once an action is bolded I will not allow it to be changed.

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

The game can get much less fun if some players have perfect memories, so if you are quoting another player it may not be from more than one page back.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ. In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colours) you played into a skill check.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand unless it is relevant to the situation.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labelled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. The only exception to this is that I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified for all subsequent players. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private. Those playing after you are free to assume you have passed, however; this is rarely an issue in practice.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things for which I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency, Change of Plans and Calculations should all have plenty of time for you to consider using them so will not be considered unless you have notified me of your intention to use them.
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers.
Strategic Planning on any rolls that would aid the Cylons.
Evasive Maneuvers unless the viper is a. destroyed, b. manned, c. it is the last ship protecting a civilian, d. it is the last ship in a sector and there are no civilians on the board, or e. if there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.

4 I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

5 If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

6 Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Banner: Unidentified Crew Member

Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I will be on trip from 23.10 to 2.11, and it's probably not a good idea to start game planning for slow answers that early (so decline).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb

mihaild wrote:
Thanks, but I will be on trip from 23.10 to 2.11, and it's probably not a good idea to start game planning for slow answers that early (so decline).

No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

RyanC77 wrote:
Banner: Unidentified Crew Member

Count me in.

Welcome aboard Ryan.
I’ve had a response from snarksandboojums saying he’s interested in playing so he’s in as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, looking at the title of the game, do we have rules for playing holograms? Hard light or soft light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anatinus
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just a twin
badge
Don't drink the potion!
mbmbmbmbmb
/in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
I guess I just imagined responding to this.

I'm in presuming nothing occurs in my life to stop me. Not that I expect such a thing, but you never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nietreche wrote:

I'm in presuming nothing occurs in my life to stop me. Not that I expect such a thing, but you never know...

While I appreciate your wish to cover all the bases I'm going to just count that as being IN.

SnarksandBoojums wrote:
So, looking at the title of the game, do we have rules for playing holograms? Hard light or soft light?

No, but I'm glad someone recognised it. FYI the title of the first game I moderated was "It's Cold Outside"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THN Wraith wrote:

Nietreche wrote:

While I appreciate your wish to cover all the bases I'm going to just count that as being IN.

SnarksandBoojums wrote:

No, but I'm glad someone recognised it. FYI the title of the first game I moderated was "It's Cold Outside"

Yeah..I got introduced to Red Dwarf back in college, crashing on a couch during tech week for the play I was working on. I've been a fan ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wright
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me FTL far away from here...

I'm in if there's room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The deadline has now passed and we've still got one space left so I've sent out another set of invites. First one of the to respond in the thread will get the space.

Also, ianwright is in. Welcome aboard.

In the meantime we can get started on character selection. Highest score picks first.

Nietreche 1d1000 = (595) = 595
anatinus 1d1000 = (704) = 704
RyanC77 1d1000 = (649) = 649
snarksandboojums 1d1000 = (761) = 761
ianwright 1d1000 = (512) = 512
Player 6 1d1000 = (737) = 737

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 964083. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (595) =
  • Nietreche
  • Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 pm
  • [+]
  • 964084. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (704) =
  • anatinus
  • Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 pm
  • [+]
  • 964086. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (649) =
  • RyanC77
  • Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 964087. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (761) =
  • snarksandboojums
  • [+]
  • 964088. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (512) =
  • ianwright
  • [+]
  • 964090. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (737) =
  • Player 6
  • Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:52 pm
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Order of selection is:
d10-1 snarksandboojums
d10-2 aforeignstranger
d10-3 anatinus
d10-4 RyanC77
d10-5 Nietreche
d10-6 ianwright

snarksandboojums is first to choose.

Everyone else, if you know who you want to play then feel free to send me a CO with your choices. If you could also let me know your starting draws that would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm currently playing in #551 (and so is dezzmont), which has just entered the final jump cycle. If it is kosher for me to start a second game, I'd enjoy an IN game, but if you'd like to look further down the waiting list, that's entirely fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

aforeignstranger wrote:
I'm currently playing in #551 (and so is dezzmont), which has just entered the final jump cycle. If it is kosher for me to start a second game, I'd enjoy an IN game, but if you'd like to look further down the waiting list, that's entirely fair.

As far as I'm concerned we've reached your name legitimately so I'm happy for you to join the game. Welcome aboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In that case, I'll gladly accept!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay, I was out at board game night.

Has anyone seen Helo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hmm? Someone called?

I pick pilot-Helo (Daybreak version). Initial draw 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

anatinus is next to choose and may pick any Military Leader (except Helo), Political Leader or Support character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anatinus
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just a twin
badge
Don't drink the potion!
mbmbmbmbmb

Admiral on the bridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

RyanC77 is next to choose and may pick any Political Leader or Support character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

I choose Political Lee Adama.

THN Wraith wrote:

RyanC77 is next to choose and may pick any Political Leader or Support character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nietreche is next to choose and may pick any of the remaining characters except a Cylon leader or the Base game Helo (Military) or Apollo (Pilot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm... So we possibly need an actual CAG and someone with Engineering. Also we're very low on Politics, since the only person that draws them is more likely to draw Leadership for XOs.

Sorry for the delay, decisions are overrated... Shouldn't be too much longer before I come to a decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I agree that Politics and Engineering draw would be most welcome. While I would prefer not to be CAG, we do have three players with a Piloting draw and plenty of Leadership draw for XO's. We might be able to get away with XO's to Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools

I'm not hard-locked here, but I think it might be interesting to try out Cottle in this scenario. It should give us some flexibility in terms of card draws and compensate for Helo having to lose a card being CAG.

I'll take one of each for starting draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.