6,667 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42% of Goal | left

Support:

John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of starting a series of post to talk about the tactics and strategies of each Hero in Allegiance: A Realm Divided. Although it may not be comprehensive, it is something I like to share and hope others can also give their suggestions. So let me start off with Vibeka which I played it twice and also gone against her two times.

Strength:
1. Stun to exhaust opponent's unit
2. Able to take control of opposing unit via Hypnotize and Mind Control
3. Have ability to manipulate the cooldown track
4. Can look at opponent's cards in hand and "scry" her own draw decks
5. Have the cheapest cost to unlock her Level 1 abilities; this can allow her to be able to pay to unlock Stun and put into play a Cost 3 to 4 unit.
6. Shorter cooldown track for Level 1 and 2 ability allow Vibeka to trigger them more frequently

Weaknesses:
1. Relative low health
2. No inherent ability to heal
3. No special units of her to summon
4. Has one of the costliest Level 4 ability
5. No direct damage effect from her own ability
6. No reaction ability

Difficulty Level: 4 (1 being easiest and 5 being hardest)
This hero is not recommended for beginner players

Suggested Tactics and Strategies:
1. Capitalize on units and actions that allow Vibeka to move her cooldown towards ready and allow her abilities to activate. Examples will be Wandering Minster, Thoughtshaper Mystic, Renegade Chronologist (Elite Unit), and Seized the Initiative.
2. Gain greater leverage by combining the effects of the above units to move cooldown counter with Priest of Penance's ability.
3. Use Daze on opposing Hero's abilities with 3 or more cooldown spaces so you can greater delay them.

4. Move in for the offensive once the opponent's units have been exhausted or taken of control of; this provides a more open path for Vibeka's unit to deliver damage to the opposing Hero. During such moment, Vibeka can play Trained Hounds to attack immediately or can have Errant Cavalier to attack twice.
5. Generally, the idea of Vibeka is not always aim to destroy the opponent unit but to "control" them.

6. A good combo is having a Slaver on the board and after taking control of an opposing player unit with Hypnotize, destroyed that unit using Slaver's ability to gain 2 Gold coins before it return to its previous controller's territory.

7. After taking control of an opposing character via Hypnotize and using it to attack, if it is still alive (which will most likely b be because the opponent would probably not want to destroy it so it can return to his or her control), play Duel action card. This can have the potential to destroy two of the opponent’s units in one turn.
8. Alternatively, if the unit is a powerful unit, you can play Hidden Refuge to cancel all the previous game effects allowing that the unit to return to your territory in Vibeka’s control rather than the opponent’s in his next turn.

Comment:
Personally, to play Vibeka Baral, you require a certain amount of finesse when compared to other Heroes such as Thedric Egen (The Commander), Belladan Kind (The Paladin), and Hakor Dajat (The Necromancer) where they are much more straightforward in their tactic.

In the early game, she needs to be able to control the opponent's tempo by exhausting his or her units using Stun. We need to take note that her Stun ability at Level 1 can also target Elite Unit where most Level 1 ability of other Heroes often affect target Basic Unit.

Starting Equipment and Armor
I feel that Vibeka should first equipped herself with Ceremonial Athame and Mantle of Prescience. The choice for the Ceremonial Athame over Rosewood Staff is not just due to the high attack power. It is also because at the earlier rounds, the opponent would most likely have less than 4 cards in hand and therefore, the effect of Rosewood Staff is less likely to be able to be triggered.

Personally, I feel that Ceremonial Athame will be more potent in its effect. This is because Rosewood Staff allow the opponent to make the choice to discard his card instead of it being a random choice or for Vibeka to choose. Vibeka, after making a successful undefended attack against her opponent, she can have the option to choose whether have the opposing player discard the card in which Vibeka chooses.

The decision to equip Mantle of Prescience is to enable in the earlier rounds for Vibeka to make an informed decision of which deck to draw form. This decision can be further be supported by the knowledge of the opponent's cards in hand gained from the effect of an undefended attack using Ceremonial Athame.
e

Playing Against Vibeka:
Opposing player need to be careful in putting into play powerful units like Cavalryman and Mounted Knight for the danger of Vibeka taking control of them using Stun or Hypnotize.

Also, players have to be wary of building up a powerful units by piling up on it augment tokens and offensive attachments.

Opposing player may not want to put into play a powerful Basic Unit for the fear that it may be Stunned. They should attempt to bait Vibeka to use her Stun on a unit with lesser threat.

Interesting Match-Up
Vibeka vs Janus V
Both are heroes of controlling archetype. Janus V have Arrest to exhaust Vibeka's Unit and can have the potential to control another opponent economy if he can play his Decree right.

Vibeka vs Thedric
Although this match-up may be in favor of Thedric due to the latter ability to "spam" units, it be interesting to see which particular Unit will Vibeka want to Stun, Hypnotize and use Mind Control on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Dosher
msg tools
Very cool! Been looking forward to someone doing an overview of each hero. Can't wait till the next one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel she is one of the easiest to play. Mind Control is, imo, one of the most powerful abilities in the game. Not only are you gaining a unit, your opponent spent the resources for that unit and is now down a unit. It's a triple bonus.

And she can stun, and she can affect cooldowns and she can temp take over an enemy unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Good write John, hope to see more articles on other heroes. I have a question though.

6. A good combo is having a Slaver on the board and after taking control of an opposing player unit with Hypnotize, destroyed that unit using Slaver's ability to gain 2 Gold coins before it return to its previous controller's territory.

Why would the unit go back to its previous controller? The slaver already destroyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xerial wrote:
Good write John, hope to see more articles on other heroes. I have a question though.

Why would the unit go back to its previous controller? The slaver already destroyed it.

What I meant is the prior to the Unit return to its previous controller's territory, destroy it with Slaver so it cannot return at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Got it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.