Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric deRuiter
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is based on two 2 player games and one 3 player, so is more initial impressions than full review. I suspect 4 players will be the ideal player count. The aliens are more deadly as player count increases. Argo is cutthroat, tactical, fun, and silly. It plays in 30-45 minutes.

You are escaping from a space station infested with aliens, with identical teams of 5 astronauts, each with different abilities. This includes a robot who can't be killed by aliens, a pilot, a marine, a runner, and a leader. On your turn you will move an alien (to hopefully eat an opponents astronaut), build a tile from a selection of 3, and then move and / or activate rooms. The tiles are either corridors that can only have one astronaut (and may start with an alien on it), or rooms that have an ability (10 different ones total) that can be activated such as teleporting, reviving a killed astronaut, launching an escape pod early, etc. The room tiles may also contain an alien to start with.

Your two actions are moving your astronauts and / or activating rooms. An important part of moving is that if you enter a room and put it over capacity you will push someone out of it to the next room, which can chain reaction into more pushes.

The game play choices are non obvious and thinking up clever combinations of room abilities, character abilities, and pushing lets you pull off crazy combos. You might cause a chain reaction to push someone into a teleporter to get then eaten by an alien.

You get points from escaping, killing on your own turn only, and from activating a certain tile. The game ends when you are out of tiles, when someone has escaped, or when someone can't take actions because their Astronuts are waiting to go on escape pods or are all dead.

The rooms remind me of the Room 25 tiles, but these are better designed and universally all are useful. The character abilities are simple to understand and also well designed.

As far as components the tiles look nice and are sturdy, and the minis are colorful and easy to distinguish. The rings to keep track of VPs overlap on the track, and it only contains 2 cheat sheets which combine multiple languages onto the card making them very cluttered. The rules are easy to understand, funny, and left almost no confusion as to how to play.

The closest comparison to this game is Room 25, but this is not co-op and does not have hidden roles. It is every Meeple for him/her self. Losing astronauts is not frustrating because of the ability to get them back, the short game length, and the atmosphere of a fun light game. You will pull off crazy combos and marvel at what your opponents pull off. Highly recommended. I give it a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still have to pick my copy up at the post office, but your review has me even more excited to try it this weekend!

I think we'll be mostly playing it with 4 people. Hope it holds up with 5 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric deRuiter
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays 2-4 only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! It's five minis per player. I had it the other way around: four minis and five players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds a bit like Sucking Vacuum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.