Subject: Running out of Silverlings & Blinging. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
It's happened a few times now....but we seem to be running out of silverlings in a 3 or 4 player games.....we just use a spare mine token instead, but I feel something is not right.

Has anyone else experienced this. And if so, have you replaced the silverlings with some silver-nuggets?
If so, can you recommend how to bling the game.

thanks
D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
It's happened a few times now....but we seem to be running out of silverlings in a 3 or 4 player games.....we just use a spare mine token instead, but I feel something is not right.

Has anyone else experienced this. And if so, have you replaced the silverlings with some silver-nuggets?

thanks
D

I rarely see the silverlings hanging around that long. Once someone has two, they are usually spent fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
It's happened a few times now....but we seem to be running out of silverlings in a 3 or 4 player games.....we just use a spare mine token instead, but I feel something is not right

Are you giving out more than 1 per sold good type? More than 1 per mine per round (the entire round, and not just one turn)?

It sounds like you're doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
dipakSomak wrote:
It's happened a few times now....but we seem to be running out of silverlings in a 3 or 4 player games.....we just use a spare mine token instead, but I feel something is not right

Are you giving out more than 1 per sold good? More than 1 per mine per round (the entire round, and not just one turn)?

It sounds like you're doing something wrong.

The bold would also be wrong. You get ONLY 1 silverling each time you sell goods - no matter how many goods you sell (you get points for each good though - for that it matters how many).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
The bold would also be wrong.
Typo. I meant, per sold good type. Sell 1 red or 5, you get 1 silvering. I suspect that he might be awarding the silverings according to how you're supposed to award points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this a ton of times but it would seem odd to run out of silverlings. There are 20 included with the game so each player would have to have 5 each in a 4 player game before you would be out of them. Most folks spend them almost right away once they get 2 unless there is nothing in the middle they want at the moment and they wait to the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I've played a lot. With pretty good players. And the silverlings do run out, sometimes. Not always, or even most of the time, but often enough that there clearly should have been some more in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
I've played a lot. With pretty good players. And the silverlings do run out, sometimes. Not always, or even most of the time, but often enough that there clearly should have been some more in the box.
Even if all four players have 3 mines going into a round, that's only 12 of the 20 tokens. Which means that all four players would have to held onto 2 silverlings the previous round with at least one player holding onto 3. That doesn't seem like something that would happen often. Not enough to justify increasing the number of tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
We replaced ours with metal Dominion tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Thunkd wrote:
That doesn't seem like something that would happen often.

And yet, it does. It's often pretty trivial to demonstrate that none of the tiles on offer are worth the cost after a certain point, so you hang onto your silverlings. It's not unheard of for someone with an early mine build-out to pile up 10 or 15 by the end of the game.

Quote:
Not enough to justify increasing the number of tokens.

I disagree. At a minimum there should have been a couple of 5x coins. That said, I added wooden coins to my set, and at a count of 30, I don't recall ever having run those out, so they aren't off by a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
That doesn't seem like something that would happen often.

And yet, it does. It's often pretty trivial to demonstrate that none of the tiles on offer are worth the cost after a certain point, so you hang onto your silverlings. It's not unheard of for someone with an early mine build-out to pile up 10 or 15 by the end of the game.

I am sure you have played far more Castles than me, so it might just be me missing some subtle strategy here, but what is the advantage of getting a bunch of mines early and then not using the silverlings you get from those mines?

fnord23 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Not enough to justify increasing the number of tokens.

I disagree. At a minimum there should have been a couple of 5x coins. That said, I added wooden coins to my set, and at a count of 30, I don't recall ever having run those out, so they aren't off by a lot.

I do agree with this. It would make sense to include 4 5-count coins and just reduce the amount of singles. That would solve any potential for someone to run out without increasing the number of components needed for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
s3kt0r wrote:
I am sure you have played far more Castles than me, so it might just be me missing some subtle strategy here, but what is the advantage of getting a bunch of mines early and then not using the silverlings you get from those mines?

Generally, denial aside (which is not bad justification on its own), you do plan to use them, but you can get distracted by other, more pressing priorities and/or be down on the turn order track, so that the tiles you *would* buy given the chance are already gone.

And as I said, at some point, it's easy to see that the particular tiles that are out are not worth the 2 points to buy (and the action to play).

Piling up like that doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen noticeably more than never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Generally, denial aside (which is not bad justification on its own), you do plan to use them, but you can get distracted by other, more pressing priorities and/or be down on the turn order track, so that the tiles you *would* buy given the chance are already gone.

And as I said, at some point, it's easy to see that the particular tiles that are out are not worth the 2 points to buy (and the action to play).

Piling up like that doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen noticeably more than never.

I've played CoB possibly more times than any other game in my collection, including online play via Yucata. I've never seen the silverlings run out, and I've never gone more than a couple of turns without spending them when I have enough.

While I grasp the possibility of hoarding them, it doesn't sound like a very efficient strategy. I'd like to see a couple of such games played out. I'd like to see what choices are being made and what the end scoring looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
All the above scenarios have happened...

1. Players go for a strategy that earns them a lot of silverings...so for example....you start with 1 per person...but players start trading, placing banks and mines so by round 2, you might have accumulated.
2. You "forget" to buy....done it so many times. I've even thought I should do the silverlings first, then my normal dice throw, but that doesn't happen....I all three spaces filled out so I need to empty...and then I forget. Another option I have discouraged is players to "hold" the silverlings in their hand, so they don't, but as they are cardboard, I don't want them to remain in the hand, as they will eventually decompose :-)
3. Spending a silverling is not so simple...sometimes the black tokens are not that great, and buying for the sake is not good tactic....so they do pile up, and lastly, you can only buy one black token per turn, so may accumulate at certain phases.

I think I will look into the metal Dominion coins or some wooden token, but wood <> silver.

There is one point I want to clear...here is the example...we roll a 2 and a 5. I also have good with a 2 and a 5....and a space for a 5-token to pickup or place.
I immediately sell a trade for the 2 roll, get my VP and 1 silvering... I then think of what I want to do with my 5 roll...After some AP, I decide, I'd rather get some more VP and do a sell more goods. So, is that another trade? My questions is do I get a silverling per trade...and what is a trade, a dice-roll converted to a good-sale, or a turn regardless of how may of my dice I use for selling goods.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nov
Israel
flag msg tools
the only times I ran out of silverling was in the end of the game, the last time you get silverling for the mines you have, so what we do is: if we all get the same amount we just ignore it, otherwise we just give the difference (for example: if players A and B have 3 mines and player C have 2 mines, then players A and B get 1 silverling and player C gets none)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:

There is one point I want to clear...here is the example...we roll a 2 and a 5. I also have good with a 2 and a 5....and a space for a 5-token to pickup or place.
I immediately sell a trade for the 2 roll, get my VP and 1 silvering... I then think of what I want to do with my 5 roll...After some AP, I decide, I'd rather get some more VP and do a sell more goods. So, is that another trade? My questions is do I get a silverling per trade...and what is a trade, a dice-roll converted to a good-sale, or a turn regardless of how may of my dice I use for selling goods.

You get 1 Silverling for each type of good traded. So, in your example, you would get 2 Silverlings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
And if so, have you replaced the silverlings with some silver-nuggets?

Yup. Found some silver nuggets on eBay, but they are smaller than I would have liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:
dipakSomak wrote:
And if so, have you replaced the silverlings with some silver-nuggets?

Yup. Found some silver nuggets on eBay, but they are smaller than I would have liked.

No luck on UK ebay....but found some "Stonemaier Games" stones/silver-ore from boardgameextras.co.uk...will need to thing about size to make it tactile, but in size-ratio to board and other components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously, even after reading this, have no idea how/why you wound run out of silverlings. I seem to think it's generally correct to buy tiles to finish off sections faster. You are saving an action by buying a tile, so you have more actions to place and finish sections for bonus points. I have rarely been in a spot where ANYTHING in the black market is completely useless. Nor is it easy for all players to get all 3 mines up and running.

I really don't get this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I really don't get this.

Neither do I. Money is 'hot' in our games. As soon as we get it we spend it. The black depot tiles are vital (IMO) to a winning strategy. They help fill out sections (especially when you go last in a 4-player game and don't get the best selection of tiles); they get you the valuable blue river tiles to let you move up in the turn order; or they might help you grab that 3 or 4 animal tile you desperately need. This is not to speak of the valuable knowledge tiles, etc. found in the black depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
I really don't get this.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

I'm no expert at the game, and can't say I've played it hundreds of times, but I also find it difficult to believe that enough players would have enough mines and not want to spend their silverlings over enough rounds for the silverling supply to run out anything other than very very rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
I really don't get this.

Neither do I.

Me neither.

Ditto.

Adding my 2 silverlings to the discussion. I played quite a lot, although admittedly mostly 2p games but in our games, silverlings didn't stay around very long, even with players trying for mines all the time. Over time our strategies developed toward taking advantage of trade goods if a good mix of them came up/bonus knowledge tiles were available. But then our players started taking advantage of the black tiles as well.

But then again, it just has worked out where games with lots of silverling flowing happened to co-inside with good black tile draws (I've certainly seen games where there were NEVER any good black tiles). I can see what people are saying about how one would run out of silverlings but I guess it just has never happened to me or even gotten close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use to the silver cubes available in the BGG Store.

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/metal-plastic-cubes-8...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Harl,
Thanks for the link. I like the feel of chunky iron ore as my silverlings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.