Subject: Buyer's Remorse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just bought Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). I have a group that all wants to play D&D, but it will just be too hard to do for several reasons. I got the idea that a dungeon crawl could be a fun alternative and everyone was/is on board. Now, I have buyer's remorse. I'm wondering if I should have bought Star Wars: Imperial Assault...then at my local comic/game shop I saw Conan. Ugh!

Do you ever get buyer's remorse and worry you bought the wrong game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all my games. But nowadays I view games as temporary entertainment, rather than wishfully thinking of them as permanent. If I get a few plays out of them, I'm fine with that. With very few games (well under 10%) successfully avoiding the fate of migrating into the for-sale pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really curbed my Kickstarter backing for this very reason. I've sold 5 Kickstarted games still in the box this year after losing interest in the time it took to ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
In the past I would get buyer's remorse more than I liked, but that mostly stopped once I forced myself to have a "cooling off" period after I had decided to purchase a game. It has helped me tremendously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot more remorse over games I could have bought but didn't.

Pete (hates passing up deals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I regret is Imperial Assault ironically, which I played 6 times with my rpg gaming group. As a fan of star wars, rpg's and dungeon crawling goodness I thought perfect fit.

The end result is I found the game to be a competitive when rpg's are not for me. It has escalating leader problems. It feels so limited in story and combat for me as the group GM. Lastly, the theme was not very immersive because it devolved into more a tactical skirmish than a scenario.

It's sad though, if it was a boxed rpg without a campaign I would have loved it to death. I take solace in the fantasy flight star wars rpg line being amazing on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I've really curbed my Kickstarter backing for this very reason. I've sold 5 Kickstarted games still in the box this year after losing interest in the time it took to ship.

<<---This right here is Cult-of-the-new[TM] in a nutshell.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only feel remorse if the game ended up being a real challenge to get, and was ultimately disappointing. If it mysteriously found its way into my CSI cart, and showed up at the door, I'm less bothered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could have buyer's remorse, but for that you need to play the games you buy shake

Among those I got to play, I have three stinkers (Invocateurs, Ghooost!, Kayanak) that I regret acquiring. Still I'm not getting rid of them, I still have hopes of make some use of them, in one way or another...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play solo, there is an app for Descent 2E that you cannot get with IA, so there is a plus. Plus the art with Conan is a lot more mature, so certain gamers would be more open to play Descent anyways. I for one love Descent, but would not play Conan due to the art alone if that helps ease your remorse. Plus Descent has gobs and gobs of expansions to chose from to customize the game how you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy it off you .

But not really. Win some you lose some with board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:

Nope.

I buy games I like. If others like them and want to play them that's fine. If others don't want to play them that's fine too. Group dynamics change. If you bring the same games to the group every session, eventually they'll get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludstifer wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

<<---This right here is Cult-of-the-new[TM] in a nutshell.whistle

Hey, you don't get the Superbacker badge through self restraint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why regret you bought Descent? Seems like a fairly good and popular game if you do like the Dungeon crawl thingy. And with plenty of Expansoins too available.
And yes, probably you should have bought Star Wars Imperial Assault instead. Comes with plenty great Expansions that one too.

You could always go back with it in and trade it for Star Wars if you haven´t already opened it, you know.
Or next time you have cash you go buy Star Wars as well. Then you have both. Whatever you do you are probably gonna enjoy playing your Descent for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
So, I just bought Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). I have a group that all wants to play D&D, but it will just be too hard to do for several reasons. I got the idea that a dungeon crawl could be a fun alternative and everyone was/is on board. Now, I have buyer's remorse. I'm wondering if I should have bought Star Wars: Imperial Assault...then at my local comic/game shop I saw Conan. Ugh!

I get that feeling sometimes but that usually happens only if I splurge purchase without thinking long enough about it. Most of the time I wait a week or longer before I make a purchase and I research the crap out of it in the meantime.

What I'm confused about is why you have buyer's remorse in the first place. Have you played it yet? What is it that you do not like about the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

Research. Research. Research.
Which means doing more than watching Rhado's play-through videos

No, I have researched this to death, and it checks all the boxes. My brain just thinks I did the wrong thing...because it's stupid. I know we will love this game, so I shouldn't even be worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Null Field wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

No, I have researched this to death, and it checks all the boxes. My brain just thinks I did the wrong thing...because it's stupid. I know we will love this game, so I shouldn't even be worrying.

If it makes you feel better, you only get 4 heroes to choose from right out of the box with Imperial Assault. As such you are limited in your playing styles for your heroes.

Granted the stories are better tied to the characters in IA; however I prefer variety to the characters myself.

Plus you do not get many of the main Star Wars characters right out of the box. Want Han Solo? -$10. Chewbacca? -$10. etc., etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Null Field wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

Sometimes I feel a little iffy after buying something when the price tag is exceptionally high. Descent is one of those high price tags. It took me a couple years before I felt comfortable paying that much. Maybe that's why you feel a little concerned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I have a lot more remorse over games I could have bought but didn't.

Pete (hates passing up deals)

This. I missed Catan 3D Anniversary Edition when it was still affordable (<$300) and I missed Orleans (Deluxe KS Version)on KS because I forgot. Now I just back and buy everything like an idiot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I kickstart a game I have buyer's remorse right after I get charged for it. I realize that the game I just bought probably won't be here for a year and if I will even be interested in the game/theme at that point. I have stopped looking at Kickstarter because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:

And *that* is why you buy games with miniatures.

Yeah, I see the "You should buy the game for the game" posts, but, even if it's a good game, if you don't like it, now what??? Sell it off at a fraction of what you paid for it?

At least with miniatures, you can use them for *many* other games, from a D&D RPG to a Song of Blades and Heroes miniatures skirmish game. If you paint, you can slave over get more enjoyment from the man dollies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i feel like buyer's remorse in this hobby is the sole motivator for why math trades exist, wherein the remorse isn't 'i was a fool with my money and shouldn't have spent it on games!' but rather 'i was a fool with my money and bought the WRONG game!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have buyer's remorse in most things, but so far I have had relatively less buyer's remorse for boardgames than for other purchases. For me, boardgaming has been a relatively cheap hobby so far. I buy games used and on sale and trade off unplayed and underappreciated games. I'm waiting for a few Kickstarter games, but they are generally from proven creators offering a better deal than retail, so I shouldn't have much trouble selling or trading them if they end up not being right for me. Plus, when I evaluate the "value" that I have gotten out of a game, I consider the number of people entertained and the amount of time we enjoyed it. Given this metric, it's hard for a game to fail to give me money's worth. And when I DO end up with something not quite right for me, it's a lot easier to "recoup" my money from boardgames than from, say, an overpriced dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buyer's remorse?

A little, but not so much with BGG Marketplace, Auctions, and Math Trades to help salve the wound and to help move on unwanted games.

And often, even a good game can become less fun with future plays... some games have a short lifespan of plays after which they become too predictable and staid, it's just the nature of the hobby.

Even playing a bad or mediocre game isn't too bad if it helps to define what kind of games you like and which to avoid. And sometimes, even a bad game played with a good group can be entertaining. Just be sure to post it in the next Math Trade or put if up for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Every time I buy an expansion, or an insert, of anything to enhance a game I already own, I get buyer's remorse. By some cruel twist it never works out. Eldritch Horror expansions ruined the game, to the point where even selling off everything but the base game hasn't returned it to the table. Inserts for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and Caverna: The Cave Farmers came hand in hand with feeling like "I'm done with this game". Lots of bad luck.

Yet I'm not learning my lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.