$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 100.62

6,370 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: solo start question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Austin
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The variant rules for the Corporate Era Solo setup state that you don't get the bonus resource production in the standard setup. What exactly does this mean?

I'm assuming it means that you start with all resource production at 0 unless your corporation states otherwise, where as the standard multiplayer setup has everyone start with all resource production at 1 unless their corporation states otherwise. I'm wondering because I played a few solo games both ways and the difference seems massive. I've won a single solo game starting at 0 production, but have won every game starting at 1 production around the 10th generation and easily scored 100+ VPs in each.

Also, are there separate rules for non-Corporate Era Solo games? I don't see any in the rulebook, so it seems odd that the solo variant is also tagged as being a Corporate Era variant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svafa wrote:
Also, are there separate rules for non-Corporate Era Solo games? I don't see any in the rulebook, so it seems odd that the solo variant is also tagged as being a Corporate Era variant.


I thought this was strange as well. I'll subscribe to the thread to see what the answer is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct in that the solo game starts you at 0 production for everything.

Regarding using the Corporate Era cards, the solo game is way easier if you don't use them. Since a lot of them are more for the "long game" you don't get as much of a benefit from them when you're limited to 14 turns and you don't have any kind of player interaction.

I think the requirements of starting with 0 resource production coupled with the Corporate Era cards is what makes the solo game that much more challenging. You really have to think about what cards you do and don't need. I still haven't won a solo game, though I've come close.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edens
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Just to know that solo requires the corporate era cards. There isn't a solo game without them. And you get no resources to begin unless the corporation you take gives you anything.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Austin
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks.

That's what I figured, as starting with 1 production seemed too easy, but wanted to make sure I was understanding it right. I hadn't thought of the corporate era cards being another mechanic to slow the pace (and thus add some challenge/balance the RNG in solo), but it makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that solo play was supposed to use all the cards.

Worse yet, you say it's harder with all the cards. yuk

I have yet to beat the clock in the solo game despite that fact that I've been playing without the corporate-era cards.

*sigh*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:
I have yet to beat the clock in the solo game despite that fact that I've been playing without the corporate-era cards.

Are you taking as many actions as you want during each generation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mebesquee wrote:
Just to know that solo requires the corporate era cards. There isn't a solo game without them. And you get no resources to begin unless the corporation you take gives you anything.


Really? Like others above, I use only the basic cards and haven't come anywhere near winning the solo game. I think I'll keep playing that way until I can actually win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you start with an income of 1 or 0?
If you don't use the CE cards you should start with 1 which should make the sologame quite easy as you start at a point where other need 2-3 generations to get there.
If you start at 0 you should use the CE cards as they include many cards which are especialy designed to help you to start your engine without anything else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Do you start with an income of 1 or 0?
If you don't use the CE cards you should start with 1 which should make the sologame quite easy as you start at a point where other need 2-3 generations to get there.
If you start at 0 you should use the CE cards as they include many cards which are especialy designed to help you to start your engine without anything else.


For solo games income should be 0 and corp cards should be used. This is the official solo variant.

Of course, you are free to play however you wish, though!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnalito wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Do you start with an income of 1 or 0?
If you don't use the CE cards you should start with 1 which should make the sologame quite easy as you start at a point where other need 2-3 generations to get there.
If you start at 0 you should use the CE cards as they include many cards which are especialy designed to help you to start your engine without anything else.


For solo games income should be 0 and corp cards should be used. This is the official solo variant.

Of course, you are free to play however you wish, though!

Where in the rules does it say playing with the corporate cards is the "official" solo variant?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Do you start with an income of 1 or 0?
If you don't use the CE cards you should start with 1 which should make the sologame quite easy as you start at a point where other need 2-3 generations to get there.
If you start at 0 you should use the CE cards as they include many cards which are especialy designed to help you to start your engine without anything else.

I've started at 0 resources and no corporate cards for both of my solo games and have won both handily, with final scores of 75 and 107 respectively. In fact, I've been wondering if others have also found solo mode to be too easy, or if I was doing something wrong. To my knowledge, I've followed the rules correctly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heading for the solo rules is "Solo variant for the Corporate Era."

Also, it does specifically mention production defaulting to zero:

"2) Start with a terraform rating of 14 instead of 20 (marked ’solo’ on the track) and without the extra production of resources decribed for the standard game."

It's not clear to me whether playing without the CE cards (but with zero default production) makes the solo game harder/easier. The cards in CE do not focus on terraforming, but on engine-building. You'll have fewer opportunities for cheap terraforming, but you'll be able build an engine more easily and get a lot out of it, as the solo game has far more generations than most multiplayer games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:
The heading for the solo rules is "Solo variant for the Corporate Era."


The solo rules section was very confusing to me. I kept flipping through the booklet, looking for "solo variant for the basic game". I'd thought that it had been mistakenly omitted.

One reason I want to play solo games without the corporate era cards is that my wife and I only play the basic game due to time constraints, so if I play solo using all cards, that means I have the extra steps of adding and separating the corp era deck every time I play. I wonder whether Jacob or the playtesters ever tried a solo version using only basic cards, and what modifications (if any) would be recommended?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atticus653 wrote:
I've started at 0 resources and no corporate cards for both of my solo games and have won both handily, with final scores of 75 and 107 respectively. In fact, I've been wondering if others have also found solo mode to be too easy, or if I was doing something wrong. To my knowledge, I've followed the rules correctly.

If you don't aim for points and throw away everything you would play mainly for more victory points the solo game isn't too difficult. It can happen that you have bad luck with your draw but most of the time you should win. I don't remember my early games but the later game I lost solo were either because I was too optimistic and started to play som pointgenerators too early or I deliberately tried s.th. I knew wasn't nescessary the best path like building as many science tags as possible.

I think with some experience you should set youself a goal for vp (90vp?) so you have to play at least a few cards for vp or founding a few cities during the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
Regarding using the Corporate Era cards, the solo game is way easier if you don't use them. Since a lot of them are more for the "long game" you don't get as much of a benefit from them when you're limited to 14 turns and you don't have any kind of player interaction.


I disagree! A typical 3- or 4-player game (non-CE) should run 8 or 9 turns; maybe as much as 10 turns with CE rules. The solo game is "the long game" and that's where the extreme engine-building capability of the CE cards really shines.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Quote:
The heading for the solo rules is "Solo variant for the Corporate Era."


The solo rules section was very confusing to me. I kept flipping through the booklet, looking for "solo variant for the basic game". I'd thought that it had been mistakenly omitted.

One reason I want to play solo games without the corporate era cards is that my wife and I only play the basic game due to time constraints, so if I play solo using all cards, that means I have the extra steps of adding and separating the corp era deck every time I play. I wonder whether Jacob or the playtesters ever tried a solo version using only basic cards, and what modifications (if any) would be recommended?

Hello,

The reason for only having a solo version with Corporate Era is that the standard game basically is all about terraforming, meaning that the solo game would be very one-dimensional, simply playing terraforming cards and see what happens. With the Corporate Era cards, it forces the player to utilize different strategies to build an economy in order to afford the terraforming, while not overdo it so you have no time left for the actual terraforming. It opens up for strategies such as titanium, jovian cards, science strategies, card drawing, earth tag combos, massive MegaCredit production and more.
I think a solo version without Corporate Era would be uninteresting after a few plays.

Cheers!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.