Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Meertens
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some things I don't understand about the ingredient gathering rules because German is not my native language.
To start with there is a standard rule. Once you have gathered the first ingredient this rule will be changed. Cards have to be stacked, but you can have a maximum of 5 stacks. My question is the following: what will happen when you have more than one stack? Can you choose which rule to follow? Do you only have to look at your own rule or do you have to keep a watch at the rules of the other players as well?

Thanks for answering.

Cheers,

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max van den Helder
Netherlands
Woerdense Verlaat
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebrothertimmy wrote:
My question is the following: what will happen when you have more than one stack? Can you choose which rule to follow?

Played the game in Essen today; there is a priority among the ingredients. So you consider the topmost card of every stack (as was probably already clear) and use the rule of the ingredient with the highest priority.

We played the game with 2 (which was not listed on the box, but, be it a little less balanced, was possible according to Andreas Prior). He also explained the game to us himself, but the English was sometimes difficult to understand. Some things sounded quite pointless to us (why take 2 cards first and then without being able to look at them, discard 1 of those?). It was also quite confusing when the active player gets 2 cards (and may keep 1) and when one of the (in our case THE other player) players gets it. The game was on my 'buy if no table available, otherwise try it first'-list, but I was not convinced . Maybe in the future when clearer English rules are available and reviews pop up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About those deviations from the standard rules. As I understand it you indeed only follow the 'strongest' rule, so the one at the top of the player aid; except for Spider Leg and Moon Stone, those always apply.

I assume that for the rules deviations you only look at your own display and not those of others? This was not specifically stated in the rulebook one way or the other.

Are there any rules changes with 2 players? If not, we'll try it that way as well.

My expectations for this game were never too high, so if we get some fun out of it that's good for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Tailher
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The ingredients effects to apply are in the following order: toadstool > mistletoe > snake poison > mandrake.

So say you stack up toadstool and in a a second row of ingredients mistletoe shows, you apply the rule of toadstool because it's higher than mistletoe.

Because of this, you want to stack the highest ingredient (toadstool) under lower cards (first play toadstool, then mistletoe on it and mandrake on top of those 2) because the lowest level of cards (i.e mandrake) have more beneficial effects to the players in general.

On a side note, I almost always play a second row of cards which shows a spider leg (if the other player has it too) so I can almost always keep 2 cards in my hand instead of receiving only one or I try to play moonstone on the side because it helps you strategize a bit better by exchanging cards you'd receive from a witch and be able to replace it with a potential better cards from the discard pile.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.