Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secrets of the past - rumor
No expedition encounters. Spend clues to resolve rumor. Reckoning: remove all of the active expedition from the deck, if there is no more expedition lose the game.

With all the expansions adding additional expedition locations (base game had 6 different types, with all expansion that doubles to 12), this rumor has become somewhat obsolete. The danger of losing due to the expedition deck running out has become almost nill. Before after about 6 reckonings, you would lose, now you have 12 reckonings (its more likely you'll lose due to mytho running out).

The only penalty now is not being able to use go on expedition which generally isn't that significant unless you're hunting for an artifact. Does anyone thing this rumor need a rework, or should be removed prior to setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have house ruled that when a "city" expedition is the top card of the deck during a reckoning, we remove ALL city expedition cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
We have house ruled that when a "city" expedition is the top card of the deck during a reckoning, we remove ALL city expedition cards.

The alternative I was thinking about was remove twice as many expeditions, but I like that one too/even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are lots of things in the game that are impacted by expansions (ex: the AO that pulls 6 cultists). Are you only going to rework some, but not all of them? If so, which ones?

Personally, I think there is enough going on and there are already plenty of ways to lose, so I don't think anything need to be reworked.

Of course, as always, my advice is to do whatever makes you enjoy playing the game. :)

Also, if you're worried about the game being too easy, I suggest pulling out the easy Mythos cards. That will definitely make it harder - and without the risk of causing unexpected complications when trying to tweak specific cards in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how often exactly, does this Rumour turn up and ruin your game? Just re-categorise it as an Easy Rumour and think no more of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is covered in the Official FAQ thread:

diceman2k4 wrote:

Asked Nikki and got this answer:

Quote:
The primary hinderance of the Secrets of the Past Mythos card is that it stops investigators from resolving Expedition Encounters. The card’s reckoning effect, moves the active expedition, making solving the rumor that much harder. However, as an easy Mythos card, it was never intended to be a major threat to the investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about changing it to:

"Then, if 6 Expeditions have been removed, investigators lose the game."

Addition: That would ensure that it stays the same difficulty level that it has always been. Forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
This question is covered in the Official FAQ thread:

diceman2k4 wrote:

Asked Nikki and got this answer:

Quote:
The primary hinderance of the Secrets of the Past Mythos card is that it stops investigators from resolving Expedition Encounters. The card’s reckoning effect, moves the active expedition, making solving the rumor that much harder. However, as an easy Mythos card, it was never intended to be a major threat to the investigation.

Thanks, I forgot about it moving the active expedition space. That can have some impact as well. I think it's fine to leave it the way it is then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
How about changing it to:

"Then, if 6 Expeditions have been removed, investigators lose the game."

Addition: That would ensure that it stays the same difficulty level that it has always been. Forever.
Instead of making players count the number of removed expeditions it can start with 6 eldritch counters. On reckoning remove a counter and trash an expedition. When no counters left - you lose.
However, restoring this original difficulty level makes this, again, unsuitable for an easy rumor. I guess with some image editing skills it could have both the counters added and the "snowflakes" removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With expansions it just becomes an easy rumor. But can still be very annoying sometimes, especially if you need an artifact to solve a mystery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy Rumours are meant as a distraction, not a game ending event. The real threat that they pose is distracting players from closing Gates and solving Mysteries. On the other hand, hard Rumours need to be solved. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
However, restoring this original difficulty level makes this, again, unsuitable for an easy rumor. I guess with some image editing skills it could have both the counters added and the "snowflakes" removed.

Are you saying that the snowflakes on it were a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

With the original "6 turnsreckonings and you lose, unless you succeed in a test, and spend clues, in a hard-to-get location that changes every reckoning" it wasn't easy at all.
However I don't suppose printing it as "easy" it was a mistake. I think FFG was fully aware that they'll release more expedition locations and that the difficulty of this Rumor will drop to the intended level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Actually, that's a "sigil". Or that's how FFG refer to it. (Despite what it looks like)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
randomlife wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

With the original "6 turns and you lose

Six reckonings and you lose. Depending on when it came out, you could frequently ignore it, or at least put it low on the priority list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.