Hide
3 Posts

Draconis Invasion» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Partial Review: Quality of Product rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Wolf
msg tools
I'd like to review the entire product, but we can't play it until we sleeve the cards (which is proving to be a challenge, see below). So here's a review of the product quality itself.

Draconis Invasion is a beautiful game. I don't actually purchase (or in this case, Kickstart) games for the artwork, but it's still a perk because it's almost breathtaking. The cards are just large enough that the artwork can shine. The art is edge-to-edge on the cards, which means they either planned the artwork so that the important parts wouldn't be covered up by where the card stats are positioned, or else they commissioned it to be oversize and cropped carefully (but if it's the latter, I can't tell).

There are four sizes of cards that come with the product, which is very strange, but one of them turned out to be dividers for the box that you would never want or need to sleeve. The other three sizes are square 80mm, bridge-sized, and poker-sized. We bought the entire KS package, so I've seen every card in the set. There's also a decorative d6. The box is large enough that we'll be able to use it to hold additional expansions, presuming the game takes off, and the dividers make it very easy to sort the cards. One tiny downside is that the square cards have to be turned sideways to fit in the box, because they're too wide.

The cards are textured, yet smooth to the touch, and would be very fun to play with unsleeved. But we're purists, and it isn't difficult to damage the cards: accidental pressure can bend a card, leaving a permanent mark on the front or back, and the edges nick easily. This isn't because the cards are low quality. Quite the opposite, actually: the cards are made to be beautiful with strong colors and a nice finish, and in my experience you can't really do something up this fancy and have it be perfectly durable as well.

That brings me to why we haven't been able to play the game yet. The square cards and bridge-sized cards fit in sleeves, but the standard-sized cards do not (and those are the ones you shuffle most frequently). I've tried several brands with no success, including Ultra-Pro Pro Fit transparent sleeves. The cards are just a tiny bit too large to fit sleeves made for standard-size cards. I've left a note on the General board begging for help on this topic.

For those of us who KS'd the whole thing, there are also six foil cards in standard size. The foil flakes just a little bit at the edges, but it's still pretty. Either way, those six cards aren't critical to the game because they're only used as tokens.

A few of the add-on packs did not have box dividers printed for them, but there were extra unlabeled dividers included with the main set which we can write on to serve the purpose. They also accidentally included an extra Varolac in our rewards, so if anyone wants six Varolac cards + one selector, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
You can try "Tasty Sleeves," which you can get at Miniature Market: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ttts001.html. I used them without a problem to sleeve my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Still have the extra Varcolac? I'd pay..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.