Subject: Questions about trading/selling. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zane Alan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hiya there.

I'm getting a little overloaded trying to navigate the site and figure everything out, so I thought I'd come and ask a couple questions! (Hopefully that's alright.)

- Is there a Trade Forum guidelines somewhere? All the stickies seem to be about those complex looking Math Trades.

- I looked at some of the posted threads with the "H: etcetcetc W: thisthatthese" and was wondering if anyone (I) could post one? I just want to get rid of a handful of games. I'm not (and won't be) playing them -- so that seemed like a perfect opportunity to switch from being a lurker to a member.

- Is there a guide to "How to sell your games on BGG?" somewhere? I've been trying to look, but there really is a lot of information on here. (Trading > Selling, but knowing how to do it would come in handy.)

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Zane, and welcome to BGG!

I've been here around 5 years and I'm still learning about what this place has to offer, so I'm trying to help when I can!

The "Help" tab up by the search bar has a great guide to many aspects of BGG. I found the trades section: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Guide_to_Trading#

And for selling: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Marketplace#

That guide is useful for auctions as well, in case you wish to have one in the future. More info about auctions can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/24/boardgamegeek/geekbay

You are free to post in the Trade forums, it seems like you've seen other posts, just use those as a loose guide on how to go about it, it's hard to go wrong. It's all pretty informal.

You could also try a "Direct Trade" to cut out some of the work for yourself; BGG matches your trade list with other user's want-in-trade lists. If you hover over the "My Geek" tab under the search bar at the top of the page, you'll see the "Trades" section in the drop down. Just click on "Direct Matches" and it'll do the hardest part!

A common piece of advice is to send a message to those you wish to trade with first, as there may be some questions/negotiations/etc. before a finalized trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane Alan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you, Chris.

I've peeked at the "Guide to Trading" already, but I haven't seen the others and am perusing them now! (Thank you again.)

I was a little worried I'd be breaking some hard-to-find rule if I posted in there without proper formatting or something. Worries alleviated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help! It sounds like you have a good idea of how all this works. The guides are nice, but I'll agree it can be intimidating at first. Math trades are the only thing you'll have any hard rules for, otherwise don't sweat it!

Hopefully you'll have much luck. And don't get frustrated if you don't hear back about trade proposals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Here's the Guide to Selling Games on BGG

If you post a thread in the trades forum and you want ThisThatCash, note that listings in the Trades forum may specify that they will also accept cash offers. In that case, they should note that sales will go through the Marketplace. (You get paid directly, whether PayPal, cash, whatever you decide... the Marketplace is the system that calculates the 3% commission for facilitating the sale. You don't have to worry about it until it's over $2, and you can do it with a couple of clicks via PayPal, or mail a check).

If you have any questions, feel free to geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane Alan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
@Chris

Thank you once more, I appreciate the luck! I don't foresee myself getting too frustrated if I don't hear back -- I'm not in THAT much of a hurry.

@Indigopotter

Thank you for the guide, I'll make sure to peek at it!

I'm happy and eager to explore BGG. Seems like an awesome community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I made my first trade about 4 months ago. All I did was use the "bazaar" drop down at the top and go to "trades". Then do a direct match and it will show all the people you match with by your wants and their wants. Then, just geek mail a bunch and ask about the trade before you actually send a trade request. I'd say about 50% never respond so I wouldn't just sit and wait on one guy but it depends on how motivated you are to dump the games. Also, if you have a lot of games that you might have trouble trading, look up user "boardgameco". He makes tons of high volume trades. You will get a little less value than if you went one by one but it's a great way to dump lots of games at once. I traded with him twice and I'm glad I did. Other than that, just keep looking around and asking questions. Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.