Support:

John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of you are lucky enough to have a regular opponent who puts up with your foibles, idiosyncrasies,brain farts, analysis paralysis, whining over dice rolls and general goings on across the table? I do--and that's what this thread is all about--showing appreciation for "the enemy" on the other side of the table who is actually a true friend for putting up with all the things that make you "wonderful." I'll start with my , ever patient, brother-in-law singinsarg

Though he'd rather be commanding his miniatures on a far off field of battle, he has never once refused a game I've place in front of him. Now that he's officially retired from the AIR FORCE,we've been able to re-establish a two-decade old tradition of regular face-to-face sessions.

Ken is a very bright guy with a gift for seeing the big picture in an operational game, or the subtle nuances of a tactical fight. A quick study with a gift for numbers, he is also a keen competitor who fights to the last man, but with honesty, integrity, and an appreciation for the absurd making the hours pass seamlessly during our contests over the years. Believe me, his patience has been tested--case in point, a recent game of HF RUSSIA took seven hours, due mostly to my constant mulling. I'm not exaggerating, folks!

So, here's to you singinsarg--
and good luck when next we meet, but then again, not TOO much luck.
If our games were based purely on skill, when would I have a chance to win?cool

Now, who puts up with your CRAP

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
Indeed, sir. We all have that special someone with whom we share our tabletop adventures. I have several, but I would like to throw this shout out to Shawn (yes, musical Shawn), who brings the same passion to his games as he brings to music and performances. We call each other every name in the book during our encounters, and we love every minute of it.

I'll never forget the time, several years ago, when we were playing our second or third session of Twilight Struggle. I'll never forget the game we played in which, at the beginning of Late War, I was able to bump up my score to eight, launch a number of battleground coups that brought the DefCon track to "2", then I played "wargames", which allowed me to give Shawn six points and immediately end the game. He was pissed, but a good time was had by all.

So here's to you, Shawn old boy, and the many adventures we've had, and will continue to have, over the tabletop!

Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the small pic I swear that game is Kingdom Death... but nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
From the small pic I swear that game is Kingdom Death... but nope.

Close,
Kingdom X WING Deatharrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
You are lucky. I have yet to find that special partner to play any game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two friends whom I see at different times of the year.

I see Fran a couple of weekends during the summer and about two weeks every January. She'll play anything I choose, and I reciprocate. When we're together we play every minute we're not preparing food or eating - from 9am until 2 am. 95% of the games are mine; every once in a while she'll bring one of her games if I request it. Once I did a study of wins and loses. I won 2/3 of the games we played, but that's okay with Fran. And she tolerates my idiosyncrasies, as you've all mentioned, mostly not having to do with the games but with the rest of my living conditions.

In February every year Dale comes to visit. He's not as much of a gamer as Fran, so I have to tone down my choices. And I have to play "his" games daily if I want to get my games played. His are cribbage, gin rummy, and spite & malice. But he's willing to learn new games and has bought a few of his own Euros to play back home with his friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have two.

One is my wife, and the other is my daughter.

They also make up our trio of a game group and we play at least one game each night.

I have a large selection of two player games specifically for this reason and we get a lot of use out of them.

I'm very lucky to have both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.