Subject: Games with beautiful board art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have come to realize that my wife tastes in board games are strongly tied to the quality/attraction of the board art.

I have recently played Samurai (old edition) and Deus, and while she appreciated the games themselves, she has no desire to play them again because she finds the art of the boards unappealing.

Deus - Beatrix Schilke

Samurai - Caitlin Prime

As counter-examples, she mentions Shogun and Java as games she would gladly play again, because of the nice/evocative art.

Shogun - Jesus A. Perez

Java - Jelle Van Camp

This kind of sucks for me, as I usually expect functionality and efficiency from a board, and am less sensitive to the art quality. So if I want to have a higher success rate with my wife I need to learn to take that aspect into account.

Which is the reason for this topic, art is a very subjective matter and you may not agree with the examples appreciation, but you catch my drift: what are games with stupendous boards? (without sacrificing too much functionality, and avoiding bad games with good art).

EDIT

In order to better define my wife's tastes, I showed her a slideshow with suggested boards and here is her appreciation:

Great
Inis
Andor
Pillars of the Earth
Bruges
Trickerion
Lord of the Rings
Vinhos
Vinhos Deluxe
Colonial: Europe’s Empires Overseas
Bruxelles 1893
World without End
A castle for all seasons
Navegador
Vasco da Gama
Travels of Marco Polo

Nice
Tzolkin
Jamaica
Taluva
Ghost Stories
Stone Age
Istanbul
Giants
Chicago Express
Conflict of heroes : awakening the bear 2nd edition
Kemet
Lord of the Rings : Confrontation
Orléans
Princes of Florence
Tigris & Euphrates
Amyitis

Average
Fresco
Above and Below
Lewis & Clarck
Kings of Air and Steam
Tokaido
Scythe
Cuba
Archipelago
Fury of Dracula
Evolution
Five Tribes
The Gallerist
Bora Bora
Village
Medina
Dungeon Petz
Yedo
Concordia
Stronghold
Raiders of the North Sea
Mangrovia
Rococo
CO2
Cyclades
Mare Nostrum
Mr. Jack
Myrmes
Sylla

No way
Smallworld
Revolution: the dutch revolt 1568-1648
The Halls of Montezuma
High Frontier
Belfort
Yggdrasil
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Runewars
Forbidden stars
Ukraine ‘43
No retreat! the italian front

So she likes boards whose art is detailed and evocative of the theme, enjoys historical settings, old maps and castles. She appreciates Menzel's art, and Lord of the Rings.

Trickerion was a board that she really appreciated.

So if you have other suggestions along the same lines, don't hesitate to post them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like perhaps Inis ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already topics on the subject but..

Legends of Andor
The Pillars of the Earth
Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I suppose it depends on what you find beutiful lol. I like oriental themes, like tokaido, tsuro, celestia, kodama tree spirits, takenoko etc

But I also think nice boards like mission red panet and jamaica are lovely and even tobago with the cute little statues.

Maybe legends of andor or even above and below?

I thought the abyss game looked stunning but just didn't look like a game that i would like?

Maybe you should say what games she finds beautiful and see what people suggest instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In her defence, I am alittle the same but it's not because I want them just to look good, I have little imagination and I like a board and components to look nice and as they should as it helps me get into the game more rather than just doing unthematic pointless actions that don't seem quite so fun without lol.

I never liked chess/draughts etc as I just feel I'm moving objects but or moving things round the board but a nice thematic board makes me feel like I truly am being a pirate or a murderer or an explorer or an alien lol

I suppose a good example would be dungeons of dragons: lords of waterdeep - I feel like I am collecting cubes for the sake of collecting cubes and I don't really want to spend my evening collecting random cubes. Agricola/caverna on the other hand, I feel like I'm buliding a farm lol. Maybe if you are competitive enough, it's more about beating your opponent and maybe there's other aspects too???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco
Above and Below
Lewis & Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
There are already topics on the subject but..

Legends of Andor
The Pillars of the Earth
Taluva

Legends of Andor was the first thing that came to my mind. I was just admiring it yesterday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

Yes, yes and yes!

I also think Bruges has some fabulous art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day, someone will ban me from these forums for always answering Trickerion, no matter what the question is

Seriously though, it has some seriously beautiful art.

Although, it might not fit the bill anyway, because it's nothing like the examples you gave. It's a very heavy worker placement game, and there's no area control.

From your description, I assume your wife is somewhat new to boardgaming? While the need for a nice board will always differ from person to person, I think, if you manage to get her hooked on boardgames, using games that she likes both for the gameplay and for the aesthetics, there's a good chance that she will come to appreciate the gameplay more, and not require quite the same level of art in every game just to be able to play it. At least that's what happened with my wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
what are games with stupendous boards? (without sacrificing too much functionality, and avoiding bad games with good art).

Personally I have always admired Small World. Despite featuring a rich colour palette and "non-functional" artistic touches the game itself is very functional. All information is easy to read and you can assess the current situation with one quick look. And it is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 has a wonderful board.
Also really like The Halls of Montezuma.
High Frontier is an amazing piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort
Kings of Air and Steam

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like shadowrift 2.0's board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
I suppose a good example would be dungeons of dragons: lords of waterdeep - I feel like I am collecting cubes for the sake of collecting cubes and I don't really want to spend my evening collecting random cubes.

Note, by the way, that you can get aftermarket meeples that make it at least a little less about collecting random cubes. Which still doesn't change the cards that all show little colored cubes on them, but should help some. (I'm constantly amazed at how stupid the decision to put colored cubes on the cards was. Just put more evocative images on the cards and players can easily make the connection to the colored cubes while not being pulled out of the theme so much.)

In any case, when I think of a beautiful board, the first game that comes to mind is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. Unfortunately, it doesn't really come that way out of the box. If you can paint the gears or know someone that can do it, though, it's a good one to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Jamaica - possibly the best looking game I own. The fact that the cards can be laid out in a never-ending panorama is just wonderful!
2. Every single Red Raven game! (see: Above and Below)

Honourable mention:
Evolution - for the stunning card artwork

Also +1 for:
Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingBen84 wrote:
2. Every single Red Raven game! (see: Above and Below)

This can't be repeated enough times!

Also, I find Taluva to be gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box art might be the worst, but I really do enjoy the look and layout of the board in Concordia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Scythe yet! Gorgeous art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The fascinating bit about this is how subjective board art can be. On aesthetics alone, I would pick Samurai or Deus over the other two. Similarly, people are recommending Small World, which is a game that has such loud and objectionable art (to me) that I find it unplayable in that form... Even though I adore playing its older brother, Vinci, on Yucata.de.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hah, I am somewhat like this too, and these ones that I have and love looking at. None of these are bad, in fact quite the opposite. I tend to get rid of mediocre games.

Scythe(last game spent 15mins with my girlfriend just examining all the awesome details on the board, and that§s after having played it 10+ times)

Taluva looks a lot like Java but prettier.

You could say boring, but it's in the theme and is well done
The Pillars of the Earth
Cuba

Archipelago immerses you in the pacific islands paradise...

Small World if you enjoy comic style fun art

Fury of Dracula (second edition) has a board made in the style of old parchment maps and it really fits the game well

Ghost Stories personally I love the cards most of all but the board is awesome to look at too.
Also coop, also stunning, also damn difficult: Yggdrasil

Obviously Takenoko, the women-magnet :-)
Jamaica on a similar difficulty level

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Runewars
Inis
Shadows over Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a look at my shelf and I think the most visually appealing boards and pieces are:
(in no particular order)

Stone Age - I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one yet. I think it has some of the best board art ever.
Five Tribes
The Gallerist
Bora Bora
Taluva
Village
Medina (second edition)
Dungeon Petz

I rank all of these games highly, but you'll have to judge by your own tastes. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for all the suggestions, I will be investigating them!

I agree that part of the need for an attractive board stems for the help it provides in immersing oneself in the game experience, and that as you get more experienced you may become less reliant on it.

Still, at the moment that is a need she expresses. I don't really know much more about her tastes than what I have already mentioned, but overall I think that if you find that the art of a board really helps you get immersed in the experience/theme that the game invites you to explore, that's a winner.

So don't hesitate to offer more suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am going to make a slideshow with the games you have bee suggesting, and have her feedback on them, so that I can provide some pointers.

The trouble is that I don't want to presume her tastes with what I think her tastes are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legends of Andor (gorgeous double-sided boards for the base game as well as for the expansions)

+1 for Stone Age

Istanbul plus expansions (beautiful variable board tiles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo:

Most Concordia maps (e.g. Britannia):

Stronghold (I prefer 1st edition):

Raiders of the Norrth Sea:

Stone Age:

Mangrovia:

Archipelago:

Giants:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.