Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Mismatched Hunt Event Card Colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
taks Arguelles
msg tools
So I have the lonely tree expansion, Fade and the core game and each of them contain hunt event cards of different colors. Im guessing this isnt on purpose. Is there a previous thread where this as been discussed? Is this something I can notify the mother ship about and get replacement cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been brought up lots of times. It's certainly not intentional, but there's nothing Kingdom Death can really do - it just appears that different print runs (core game, expansions, promo cards) all have slightly different colors.

My "solution:" put them all in a stack and shuffle them, then deal them out. Sure, you might see that some event coming up is a slightly different color than other cards on the Hunt track, but what does that matter? You still dealt them out randomly if you shuffled them well, and once you're on the Hunt phase, there's not anything you can really do to prepare for any upcoming hunt events. You just move forward onto each one and resolve them.

Is it annoying? Sure. Does it affect gameplay at all? Debatable maybe, but I don't think so. Anything you can do about it? Other than putting all the hunt cards in opaque backed sleeves, no, not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's consistently a problem, and pretty irritating, considering the price. I caved and bought a pack of opaque-backed card sleeves. Made me not want to buy any more promos considering they're obviously inconsistent (settlement event cards don't match the cut, either, so it's impossible to not notice when shuffling unless you cut or sleeve them, though they match color pretty closely)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Pile shuffle the events and roll a die to determine which pile to use. Simplest solution considering that some of the cards are larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Bit annoying, but doesn't seem like a big deal to use opaque sleeves. Better than Mage Knight at least (where the expansions have different colour and sized tokens, which makes it nigh-impossible for them to blend in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit it is a big annoyance. In my case, I just printed (square) hunt event card backs on another shade of the same brownish hue that are bigger than the biggest event cards and sleeved everything with that back.

I can't say that I appreciate being forced to do that on such a pricey game, but this is a well-known complain and I suppose Adam already knows about this (mainly because he lurks these forums, but also largely due on him not being blind).

Oh well, it is unlikely that this will be backward-fixed, so it is just a matter of coping with that any way it works for you, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taks Arguelles
msg tools
I thought as much. I pretty much just shuffle and deal it out without looking as well. I should consider opaque sleeves instead. thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Instead of dealing them out, put them in a pile and draw from the bottom of the pile whenever you need one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried that: unfortunately, it does not work unless you don't even look at the pile. The size increase of the added cards is noticeable from the other edge of the table, even if the card you are about to draw is bottom of the pile (I daresay that it is MORE noticeable when it is bottom of the pile - also, the sleeves too stretched, if you use them, will make the cards on top slip and add mischief to trouble).

If you actually want to NOT be influenced by the card in any way (for example, if deciding if moving that white lion one space forward OR backward could make you miss that hunt event), you must use a common card back that is bigger than the biggest card. So, either black backs, or a custom card back, or you just print all the cards in new cards, all with the same back this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other issue (minor compared to the colors) is a much lower quality of the cards from promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.