28.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Wez
Australia
West End
Queensland
flag msg tools
On page 6, the revised English base game rules read:

Return any number of your Assistants to your Merchant stack. ... If you send your Family Member to the Fountain,your Assistants are still returned to your Merchant stack.

(Note similar wording is used in the description of the yellow Mosque tile and the return Assistant bonus card. Yellow tile: Once on your turn, you may pay 2 Lira to return an Assistant to your Merchant stack.)

Is the correct reading of the Fountain rule in relation to the Family Member (and application to the Companion using the Fountain) that the Assistants return under the Merchant on its current tile? i.e. not regrouping the Merchant and Assistants on the Fountain.

* Some posts in [thread=16314458]this thread relating to the Family Member[/thread] in the base game rules section share this conclusion but the thread doesn't feel conclusive.
* I think the confusion in my mind arose from my tendency when I'm teaching the game to describe (and think of) the Fountain action as calling the Assistants to the Fountain.

It all seems very obvious now that I've re-read the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe the interpretation is based on literal reading of the rules, that the assistants are called to the merchant stack, regardless of how the fountain is triggers (by family member, by coffee barrier, by companion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
I believe the interpretation is based on literal reading of the rules, that the assistants are called to the merchant stack, regardless of how the fountain is triggers (by family member, by coffee barrier, by companion).

Wait a second, does this mean that the merchant too is teleported to the fountain when the family member arrives? That does not make sense at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
mooken wrote:

Wait a second, does this mean that the merchant too is teleported to the fountain when the family member arrives? That does not make sense at all.

No: the assistants are called to the merchant's stack, wherever the merchant is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:
mooken wrote:

No: the assistants are called to the merchant's stack, wherever the merchant is.
... yes, this is the official answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

I stil don't get how you are imagining the situation, so I'll go with an example in the hope it helps.

Suppose I have a stack composed of the Merchant and 1 assistant.
I have other 3 assistants on other locations of the board (1 at the Police Station, 1 at the Small Market and 1 at the Cartwright).

It's my turn. I cannot reach the Fountain, but I can reach the Police Station.

I go there. Because there is already 1 of my assistants there I put my merchant's stack on it. Then I activate the Police Station and send my Family Member to the Fountain.

The Fountain is activated, and its effect is: "all assistants from everywhere on the board are called back to the merchant's stack".

I therefore pick up my other 2 assistants (the one at the Small Market and the 1 at the Cartwright) and put them under the my merchant's stack (which is still standing at the Police Station).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is true that in fact the phrase sounded more catastrophic than it actually is.

In fact there are only two places on the board on which this can happen:

1 Either the merchant goes to the fountain

2 Either the merchant goes to the police station.

I think we agree no other possibilities exist. Unless there is special card I'm not aware of or the newest expansion brings a third scenario in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
[...]
I think we agree no other possibilities exist. Unless there is special card I'm not aware of or the newest expansion brings a third scenario in.

Yes, actually.
In Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh there's the Tavern tile that can activate another tile (in the same way the Police Station does).
In Istanbul: Letters & Seals there's a new player piece - the Companion - that moves separately from the Merchant's stack and may activate tiles (thus he may "remotely" activate the Fountain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

Yes, actually.
In Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh there's the Tavern tile that can activate another tile (in the same way the Police Station does).

I think you mean the card of the Guild, but okay, point taken.

Thank you for this last update
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

Yes, actually.

I think you mean the card of the Guild, but okay, point taken.

Thank you for this last update

No. I mean the Tavern (the tile on the bottom-left of this picture).

When you activate it you have 3 options, the first one is to spend to 2 coffee to position the barrier, become its controller and activate one of the tiles on either side of the barrier.

And yes, as you pointed out, there are also the Guild card #7 (which also moves your merchant's stack to the Fountain), the Guild card #12 and the Guild card #19 (which lets you take 2 Tavern options at once).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wez
Australia
West End
Queensland
flag msg tools
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing this wrong all along. Had no idea this was allowed.

We just assumed it had to be your merchant who went and collected his assistants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.