Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone thought of using the board from risk to play? What would the resources for each planet be? All planets are within 5 spaces of coruscant so while there are more planets the galaxy might not be too big... also might make it easier to incorporate a third player variant as it wouldn't get more crowded.

Sorry if this has been brought up, didn't see anyone talk about it when I looked through the variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I bet it'll work a hell of a lot better than the board for 2015's Risk: Star Wars Edition- though that might be a nice side board for Death Star battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea but my brain is melting at the thought of balancing it all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though this is probably stupid to most people, I want to try this. Sorry if this is hard to follow or looks crazy!

These are the Risk planets with their stats. You'll need to look at both maps.

*Depopulated systems are in italics, there are 11 of them (3 more than in Rebellion since there are 10 more planets on the risk board).
*If one of the Rebellion planets is not on the Risk board its name is struck out and replaced with a Risk planet.
*If there are question marks next to a planet it means it probably is populous I just don't know what it should have for stats.
*Risk planets that I made the stats up for on my own are in bold.
*The blue lines on the board connect planets like they are adjacent, the line connecting Mon Calamari to Bpfassh should probably not be used in the game.

Ison Corridor:
1)Mustafar Bakura: 2(Blue Triangle, Blue Circle) Imp. Loyalty
2)Endor
3)Bespin: 1(Orange Circle)
4)Hoth

Elrood Sector:
1)Sullust: 2(Orange Triangle, Orange Square) Imp. Loyalty
2)Eriadu: ??????
3)Naboo Derilyn: 1(Orange Triangle, Blue Triangle) Rebel Loyalty
4)Sluis Van: ??????
5)Dagobah
6)Utapau Bpfassh: 3(Blue Circle, Blue Square)

Wild Space:
1)Omwat: ??????
2)Elom: ??????
3)Arba
4)Excarga: ??????

Mid Rim:
1)Mygeeto Faleen: 2(Blue Triangle, Orange Square) Imp. Loyalty
2)Rodia: 1(Orange Triangle) Imp. Loyalty
3)Ryloth Kothlis: 1(Orange Triangle) Rebel Loyalty
4)Bothawui: 1(Orange Circle) Rebel Loyalty
5)Malastare Gamorr: 1(Orange Triangle)
6)Nal Hutta Nar Shaddaa: 1(Orange Triangle, Blue Triangle)
7)Toydaria: 2(Blue Circle)
8)Da Soocha V
9)Ylesia
10)Kashyyyk: 1(Orange Triangle, Orange Triangle) Rebel Loyalty
11)Kessel: 1(Orange Triangle)

Outer Rim:
1)Wayland: ??????
2)Tatooine
3)Dathomir
4)Toprawa: ??????
5)Yavin 4
6)Dantooine
7)Ord Mantell: 2 (Blue Circle, Orange Circle)
8)Mon Calamari: 3(Blue Triangle, Blue Square) Rebel Loyalty

Core Worlds:
1)Coruscant: 1(Orange Triangle) Imp. Loyalty
2)Corellia: 3(Blue Triangle, Blue Square) Imp. Loyalty
3)Kuat: 3(Orange Square, Blue Square) Imp. Loyalty
4)Balmorra: ??????
5)Hapes
6)Alderaan: 1(Orange Triangle)
7)Duro: ??????
8)Byss: ??????
9)Mimban: ??????

There are 5 leftover Rebellion planets, I figure their stats can just be plugged right in to some of the ?????? spaces, then I just need stats for the last 6 planets. Leftover Rebellion planets include:

Genosis: 2(Blue Triangle, Orange Square)
Cato Nemoidia: 2(Blue Triangle, Orange Circle)
Saleucami: 1(Orange Circle)
Mandalore: 1(Orange Triangle, Blue Triangle)
Felucia: 1(Orange Triangle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main balance problem is just that a bigger galaxy makes it harder to keep the Rebel Base hidden. That's the main problem you'd have to address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
The main balance problem is just that a bigger galaxy makes it harder to keep the Rebel Base hidden. That's the main problem you'd have to address.

It is harder to keep it hidden or harder to reveal it?

I would suspect a bigger galaxy makes it harder for the Imperials to find it, since there are more options to hide the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you'd have to remove a sector or turn several of the planets into empty spaces or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's irony at its finest.

The Rebel objective in SW Risk: OTE is to find and destroy the planet with the Emperor on it. The Imperial objection in SWR is to find and destroy the Rebel base. They're basically the same objective for each side in different games.

Now that being said, I think it's doable. There's a 10 planet difference between the two games as far as possible locations for the Rebel base.
SWR Planets 32 - 6 controlled by Empire = 26
SWR:OTE Plantes 42 - 6 controlled by Empire = 36

My first thought would be to remove 9 planets in the "Core Worlds" as options for the Rebels. It would make sense thematically that they wouldn't have a secret base so close to the galactic center. We've never seen their base anywhere but the fringes of the galaxy (in canon).

The other option I thought of is to remove all the resource planets (green ones) as Rebel base options. There are 13 resource planets, which may make it just a bit harder for the Rebels to hide, but it does allow use of the core.

The other issue that needs addressing that with a larger galaxy (31% bigger!) each side (esp. Imperials) should get more units to work with. If you don't, then the Imperial fleet is going to have to spread out thin in order to cover all the ground while the Rebels can just sit tight on their base and wait to be discovered, fight off the assault, then leave. Or wait out the game until the rest of the Imperial navy can make it. (Of course this doesn't always work like this, but with a larger map you may not have another choice).

Some of this might be able to be mitigated by adding 4 to the turn marker and starting the reputation marker at 18. Of course this would all have to be tested. But just from a math standpoint those are some things that need looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.