16 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Oil Slicks - How far do you slide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Sua
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering how far you slide if you move into an oil slick? At first I though you would just slide through till you reached the other side. Reading the rule below however, says that you keep going till you hit a wall, object, or the edge of the board.

Page 9 from the rule book

Quote:
OIL SLICK
When a Mech, Minion, or Bomb moves onto an Oil Slick, it keeps moving in the same direction until it collides with a wall, obstacle(including other Mechs or Bombs), or the edge of the board. A Mech or Bomb will stomp Minions along the way, but Minions are blocked by other Minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting, I haven't read the rulebook but assumed you stop when you hit a non oil slick space. Maybe this needs errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You keep moving until you slide off the oil or hit a wall or unmovable mech (a mech on the edge of the board can't be pushed off the board, for instance). Minions can't push mechs, so they can end up standing on the oil if they bump into you. Mechs will push other mechs.

For whatever it's worth, I feel like it is fairly intuitive when you have the board in front of you. Very few questions came up along these lines during playtests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree it's intuitive but per the rules there seems to be no mention of stopping after you are not on an oil space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if there are 2 minions, one in the slick and another at the end of the slick on the grass, and you slide on the slick, you will basically crush both minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prashant Saraswat
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, you would flatten both of them with your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killblue2 wrote:
I was wondering how far you slide if you move into an oil slick? At first I though you would just slide through till you reached the other side. Reading the rule below however, says that you keep going till you hit a wall, object, or the edge of the board.

Quote:
OIL SLICK
When a Mech, Minion, or Bomb moves onto an Oil Slick, it keeps moving in the same direction until it collides with a wall, obstacle(including other Mechs or Bombs), or the edge of the board. A Mech or Bomb will stomp Minions along the way, but Minions are blocked by other Minions.

This should definitely be corrected through an errata!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am next to an oil slick and my mech has a "move 2 spaces" command card, do I move 2 spaces, and then resolve the oil slick, or do I move one space, slide to the first non-oil-slick space, and then move 1 more space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Agree it's intuitive but per the rules there seems to be no mention of stopping after you are not on an oil space

One thing to remember is that the rulebook available to download isn't the one you would use to learn the rules, but to look up to get more details on a rule you've already a learned through the quickstart and mission dossiers. I haven't read them, but it's quite possible they are more explicit about the basics, while the reference gives reminders about the rarer cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
If I am next to an oil slick and my mech has a "move 2 spaces" command card, do I move 2 spaces, and then resolve the oil slick, or do I move one space, slide to the first non-oil-slick space, and then move 1 more space?

You would move, slide, move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Felkor wrote:

You would move, slide, move.

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I've played other games with similar mechanics that worked the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Riot Kades wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I feel like it is fairly intuitive when you have the board in front of you. Very few questions came up along these lines during playtests.

Fair enough, but you can get strange edge-cases with oil slicks.

e.g. It seems very unlikely that a mech could end its movement on an oil slick. But wouldn't that happen if multiple mechs are lined up into an edge/wall and no more pushing can occur? If so, how would you resolve the next move/rotation of that mech on an oil slick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killblue2 wrote:

Quote:
OIL SLICK

Chris already clarified this but it is also correctly described in Rodney's video for Mission 1 (approved by the designers): https://youtu.be/D-1MTWIOlNM?t=5m03s
Quote:
...it keeps sliding in the same direction until it steps off the oil slick and then it continues it motion as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I feel like it is fairly intuitive when you have the board in front of you.

Some folks don't do intuitive when it comes to game rules and prefer everything spelled out in black and white.

Personally, I agree with that in a competitive game but in a co-op I'm happy to adlib/houserule when the rulebook isn't clear and the answer isn't immediately available on the web.

Happily, we'll have you here to arbitrate all of our edge cases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mission 1 dossier does make this clear.

Quote:
Oil Slicks
When a Mech, Minion, or Bomb moves onto an Oil Slick, it keeps moving in the same direction
until it collides with a wall or obstacle (including other Mechs or Bombs), steps off the Oil Slick,
or reaches the edge of the Game Board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Riot Kades wrote:

Fair enough, but you can get strange edge-cases with oil slicks.

e.g. It seems very unlikely that a mech could end its movement on an oil slick. But wouldn't that happen if multiple mechs are lined up into an edge/wall and no more pushing can occur? If so, how would you resolve the next move/rotation of that mech on an oil slick?

Oil slicks are evaluated when you step onto an oil space, so turning within an oil slick (as in the example you give) would be normal, but as soon as a mech steps onto a new oil space, the mech would slide until it is off the oil or it runs into an immovable object.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.