Subject: Star Trek Ascendancy vs. Star Trek Frontiers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm one of those that is still awaiting my copy of Star Trek Ascendancy. Who knows when I'll get it. Meanwhile I have a copy of Star Trek Frontiers.

I am wondering, which one do people prefer. Which do you guys think is better, and how do they compare to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and oranges. Other than the license, they share little in common.

I don't own Frontiers, but I have been playing Mage Knight for a while. Even with the tweaks, Frontiers doesn't seem like it would replicate the feeling of Star Trek, but it still might be fun in it's own right. Ascendancy uses the license in a way that scratches the Star Trek itch a bit more faithfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of Frontiers as a Science Fiction Mage Knight with a thin layer of Trek painted on. It is really not all that Trek thematic. Doesn't mean it isn't a good game - it is a good game.

Ascendancy on the other hand is much more deeply themed in Trek. Each of the factions both plays differently and plays in a manner that reflects its "Trek personality". And it too is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I sold my frontiers so that I could buy Ascendancy. While Frontiers is a good re-skin of Mage Knight, it's still a re-skin. There isn't much trek to be found there, especially since the federation can conquer worlds.

If I want to play mage knight, I'll play mage knight. If I want to play star trek, I'll play fleet captains or ascendancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.