Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the official "Against The Trust rules are now available (on the English 2F-Spiele page) can someone suggest which expansions would be best for two players? I'm new to the game and wondering what might be the best ones to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, but I couldn't find the rules you are referencing at that link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Apologies, but I couldn't find the rules you are referencing at that link

Scroll down to: Funkenschlag: 2-player-variant "Against the Trust"

That file is not new and has been there for over a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct link to the file

http://www.2f-spiele.de/spiele/pdf/power_2er_variant_rules.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering if we should go with the deluxe and hope they eventually release new maps it get the base game and some expansions. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go with the game with the graphics/art you prefer if that's important to you.

Having played both, and not preferring the art of one over the other, I'd probably buy the deluxe edition. It includes minor rules differences and different power plants than the original, arguably improving gameplay. (You can read threads comparing the two to come to your own conclusion.) I doubt these plants smoothly transition to the expansion maps. You can buy the New Plant Deck if you want to use the expansion maps, and there are threads in the forum there for compatibility with those maps. I like having a map variety so that would be important to me.

Of course you'd have to use the natural gas figures in place of the garbage. Or you can probably find yellow cylindrical wooden figures somewhere for the garbage.

But I guess to answer your question, my gut tells me they won't re-release each expansion in deluxe form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the Power Grid: China/Korea because we had hosted a Korean student and this was one way to get a sense of the geography and cities of the country. We found the Korea map to work very well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I'd say go with the game with the graphics/art you prefer if that's important to you.

Having played both, and not preferring the art of one over the other, I'd probably buy the deluxe edition. It includes minor rules differences and different power plants than the original, arguably improving gameplay. (You can read threads comparing the two to come to your own conclusion.) I doubt these plants smoothly transition to the expansion maps. You can buy the New Plant Deck if you want to use the expansion maps, and there are threads in the forum there for compatibility with those maps. I like having a map variety so that would be important to me.

Of course you'd have to use the natural gas figures in place of the garbage. Or you can probably find yellow cylindrical wooden figures somewhere for the garbage.

But I guess to answer your question, my gut tells me they won't re-release each expansion in deluxe form.

Forgive my ignorance. What does the new plant deck do? Would this allow us to use the old maps with the deluxe version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my (mostly uneducated, certainly unofficial) take on it.
The plant deck was constructed with the market and resource replenishment rates of the original game. The plant deck of the deluxe version was constructed with the market and resource replenishment rates of the deluxe game. Using the old deck with the deluxe version would throw off the balance of the resources. The expansion maps were presumably made with the original plant deck in mind.

The new plant deck (which really isn't new, it was released in 2007) was designed with the original rules in mind, as there was no such thing as a deluxe version then. You can then safely assume that the 'new plant deck' can be used with the expansion maps, perhaps subject to minor changes per the threads of the new plant deck forum.

I would guess that, therefore, if you buy the deluxe version and the 'new plant deck', this would allow you to use whatever map you'd want without worrying about balancing issues. Use the new plant deck with the expansion maps, and the rest of the deluxe components can be used, with the caveat that the deluxe version replaced garbage with natural gas.

I believe each expansion map comes with its own smaller set of rules to go over changes from the original power grid, with market replenishment rates included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.