Subject: Questions after my reading of the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I would appreciate any light that someone can shed on my questions regarding the rules:

1. On page 5, the rules state, "Note that each corner frame consists of 3 water spaces while each small frame consists of 1 water space."
Yet in the second example on page 5, it appears that the player is moving on only 2 spaces of the corner frame. Am I misreading or misinterpreting this somehow?

2. On page 8, in the first example, "the Yellow player advances his disc 4 spaces to land on the Blue disc on the red space. He (Yellow) is the new start player next phase. He forfeits the remaining 1 AP."
Why must the player forfeit his remaining 1 AP? Must you land (and end your movement) on top of the current start player’s disc in order to be the new start player? If so, what if the original start player of the game never leaves the first space on the track? How can you ever become the new start player in that game?

3. What's the point of the Planning Token?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
I would appreciate any light that someone can shed on my questions regarding the rules:

1. On page 5, the rules state, "Note that each corner frame consists of 3 water spaces while each small frame consists of 1 water space."
Yet in the second example on page 5, it appears that the player is moving on only 2 spaces of the corner frame. Am I misreading or misinterpreting this somehow?

That is correct, what you don't see is the third space in that example that is on the corner frame. Basically every inner tile width makes up 1 space on the outer frame tiles.

schnel wrote:
2. On page 8, in the first example, "the Yellow player advances his disc 4 spaces to land on the Blue disc on the red space. He (Yellow) is the new start player next phase. He forfeits the remaining 1 AP."
Why must the player forfeit his remaining 1 AP? Must you land (and end your movement) on top of the current start player’s disc in order to be the new start player? If so, what if the original start player of the game never leaves the first space on the track? How can you ever become the new start player in that game?

The yellow player doesn't have to forfeit the action point, it is a choice they made because of the color they ended up on. The example was showing that if you stop on a space with discs, you go on top, also, that you do not need to use all your AP's to move, that's all. You can move your full if you like, but for strategic reasons, you may want to be on a specific color on that track.

schnel wrote:
3. Regarding the End of Round Pirate Scoring: Has anyone ever considered playing a variant whereby the Pirate Marker for the round is revealed at the END of the round instead of the beginning of the round? It seems to me that that would add an interesting element to the game.

Nope, never tried it.

schnel wrote:

Thanks!

You put it in the area you have the neutral tiles that are available for purchase. It really serves no purpose other than to let you point at it and say "If you want to do the red cube (aka Plan) action, the tiles are over there next to that red disk."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Murr wrote:
schnel wrote:

That is correct, what you don't see is the third space in that example that is on the corner frame. Basically every inner tile width makes up 1 space on the outer frame tiles.

schnel wrote:

The yellow player doesn't have to forfeit the action point, it is a choice they made because of the color they ended up on. The example was showing that if you stop on a space with discs, you go on top, also, that you do not need to use all your AP's to move, that's all. You can move your full if you like, but for strategic reasons, you may want to be on a specific color on that track.

schnel wrote:
3. Regarding the End of Round Pirate Scoring: Has anyone ever considered playing a variant whereby the Pirate Marker for the round is revealed at the END of the round instead of the beginning of the round? It seems to me that that would add an interesting element to the game.

Nope, never tried it.

schnel wrote:

Thanks!

You put it in the area you have the neutral tiles that are available for purchase. It really serves no purpose other than to let you point at it and say "If you want to do the red cube (aka Plan) action, the tiles are over there next to that red disk."

Thanks. Though I still don't understand what you mean by "That is correct, what you don't see is the third space in that example that is on the corner frame. Basically every inner tile width makes up 1 space on the outer frame tiles." You're saying that the example in the rules is correct but that you only move through 2 spaces on a corner frame?

Also, one other question. Does the positioning of the "Turn Order" discs dictate the turn order for every player or just the starting player (and then play continues clockwise around the table)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Thanks. Though I still don't understand what you mean by "That is correct, what you don't see is the third space in that example that is on the corner frame. Basically every inner tile width makes up 1 space on the outer frame tiles." You're saying that the example in the rules is correct but that you only move through 2 spaces on a corner frame?
I am saying the corner space has 3 spaces on it, but you're only seeing two of them in the example. You're not seeing the entire piece.

schnel wrote:
Also, one other question. Does the positioning of the "Turn Order" discs dictate the turn order for every player or just the starting player (and then play continues clockwise around the table)?

The Turn order discs dictate turn order for every player. During set up you get coins based on where you are in that stack, and it specifically says on page 3 "The player whose disc is on top is the first player. All other players receive on gold for each other player preceding them in player order." And in the example it says "The starting player is red. White, in second, receives 1 gold, while blue receives 2 gold, and yellow 3 gold."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Murr wrote:
schnel wrote:
I am saying the corner space has 3 spaces on it, but you're only seeing two of them in the example. You're not seeing the entire piece.

Oh I get you now. In other words, the "3rd space" of the corner piece is above the part that's displayed in the graphic (extending to the next puzzle junction).

Thank you for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.