Hide
11 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Routed unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Brillant
msg tools
1. If I have 1 routed footman in an area by himself and an enemy comes to attack does the routed unit auto die or does combat still occur

2. Can ships support land battles

3. Trouble understanding the benefits of putting ships in a port.

4 any game tips ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A KAreil
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the top of my head:

1. Auto die. Routed units to not fight.
My bad, see correct answer from Scott in the next post below.

2. Yes, but land units can not support sea battles.

3. If all the sea areas adjacent to your land+port are occupied by the enemy you can create and gather ships in the port. When you have sufficient strength you move out and fight the "blockade".

PhilBrillant wrote:
1. If I have 1 routed footman in an area by himself and an enemy comes to attack does the routed unit auto die or does combat still occur

2. Can ships support land battles

3. Trouble understanding the benefits of putting ships in a port.

4 any game tips ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilBrillant wrote:

Combat still occurs, routed units have a combat strength of "0", they can be supported, if there is a garrison token in the embattled area, add that as well, and you still have to play a house card for the combat, routed units cannot retreat, if defeated, all units that started the combat as routed units are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships are best at sea, but ships in port do get 1 power token per ship every game of thrones (card). Also, it's useful to support you sea area if you reach supply limits, and to use if someone else has taken the sea area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Brillant
msg tools
Awesome, this is the way we were playing. Also we ran into people being short on certain units to muster. If you are low is that all your allowed to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, provided you have the right parts.

2 siege, 5 knihtsd 6 boats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Ports were added to fix an issue that occurred in the 1st edition. If your sea areas where filled with enemy ships, even if that person was losing badly, they'd be no way to destroy, force the ships away. It was a game breaking issue. They added some extras too, like representing trade.

1. It would be nice if Kareil could edit his post as it's wrong, Scott is right. Just in case people are unsure which side to take.

Here's a lil reminder/help sheet we made for our games.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuQWxqOEJkcXduNT...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. If you play the same group, don't get known as the one that always lies, backstabs, it will be very hard for you to control the map and people in future games. Staying true to your word can hold more power or at least 1 version of it.

I've seen it happen many times, a losing house turn against their closets allies just to prevent them winning. When all it does is enable their life long revivals to steal the victory. Where's the sense in that?

Going for the cheap victory can also ruin a game. Unless playing the trick was your plan all along. I've won a few games where there was an easier option but my word had no contrast, staying allies was important... To one house your word shall be kept, to the other not. Now (in future games) you will be able to barter that your word isn't simply BS even to that player you may have pooped on in the past. If you always take the easy kill, you'll forever be distrusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
I've seen it happen many times, a losing house turn against their closets allies just to prevent them winning.
But that's the game, you can't accept anyone to win, not even your ally (for what that's worth in AGoT). I think you can just announce you're not letting him grab the Iron Throne, I doubt anyone would find that strange. The only case of doubt might be the very rare situation that if by preventing your ally to win you're 100% sure another player will win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Brillant
msg tools
Thanks all for the answer, Ill also print that pdf off tomorrow. great tips. Any tips on 4 player ? What part to cut off and what houses to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yatsura Urusai
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
The game itself recommends to play without Martell & Tyrell and make their territory neutral, which makes it boring because players could play PVE all day long against those. I would rather cut them off completely as impassable terrain, like the game recommends for 3 player games, so all players are still forced to play against other players.

A player variant I found in the boards was to cut off the north (Starks and Greyjoys and their territory) instead, but I didnt tried that one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.