Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Im not entirely sure if I Mage War wrong or not, but the fastest game I have played was 3 hours. And the majority of games go for 4+ hours. Don't get me wrong here, it is the fastest 4+ hours I have ever experienced, and as soon as its done we are chomping at the bit for round 2. But sadly there is never time for a round 2. Are we doing something wrong? I recently saw that someone does events where there is a 90 min timer per game. That seems impossible to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game should be around 60-90 minutes when you know your stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
It depends on how you build the book and how well you know the game. My wife and I like to play semi-agressively? meaning we kinda let each other build up a bit before bringing out the guns. So games can take a bit.

Sometimes though, I just want to beat her as fast as I can, so my very aggressive books definitely go below the 60 minute mark. It's all about whatever strategy you are playing at the moment and the company you are with. Sometimes I want to drag it out, others I want to get as many games in as possible.

One reason I haven't played in a while is my wife doesn't like when I randomly select (it really is) the priestess with the never ending life pool. Those games drag on a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena really is an excellent game which can take long, but not that long. I recommend having a look at the Arcane Duels video channels - they offer commented replays of games which will offer even more awesomeness as these guys pull tricks you would not have dreamt about as a new Mage Wars player.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJlTpUZS02GTO9rWXbR-jow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament games are 75 mins, and probably only a third go to time.

The problem is almost certainly some combination of:

1) Lack of familiarity with your spellbooks
2) Lack of aggressive options in your spellbook
3) Lack of aggressive play

I say this as a confirmed control player!

Turn 3 kills are possible, many more turn 4, and every mage can kill on Turn 5. Now competent play will stop that, but the point is that if you are both sitting building up, then one does it better than the other - the other should be going for the throat early, as they will lose the buildup.

If you are a Magic player, then this is essentially a variation on 'Who's the Beatdown' game theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Tournament games are 75 mins, and probably only a third go to time.

The problem is almost certainly some combination of:

1) Lack of familiarity with your spellbooks
2) Lack of aggressive options in your spellbook
3) Lack of aggressive play

I say this as a confirmed control player!

Turn 3 kills are possible, many more turn 4, and every mage can kill on Turn 5. Now competent play will stop that, but the point is that if you are both sitting building up, then one does it better than the other - the other should be going for the throat early, as they will lose the buildup.

If you are a Magic player, then this is essentially a variation on 'Who's the Beatdown' game theory.

I second this. The main culprit I've found for games taking forever is simply lack of familiarity. Having to look up rules constantly and taking really long planning phases and turns as you think of what to do. Once you know the rules and know your book inside out, the game moves along very quickly.

At that point, the length of game depends entirely on how you play. This game has no forced ending. If you just sit in the corner and never attack the opposing mage, a game could theoretically be infinitely long. However I've seen games take less than 30 minutes with super aggressive books. As long as at least one person plays fairly aggressive and they both know the game, I don't think things should take longer than 2 hours. If they're taking longer than that, then it's just cause you've both decided to play slowly.

If you'd like though, arcane wonders did release a forced end to the game in the form of the Battlegrounds expansion. This gives an alternate victory condition, in addition to killing your opponent, which guarantees someone wins and the game ends within a reasonable time. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try watching the arcane duels YouTube channel. They post a lot of videos of games on there, so you can see other people's strategies and how their games end in a decent time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm not sure how to play aggressively. In a round you can only cast 2 spells mana permitting, and even if you pop out a spawn point you are down the mana it cost to play till it slowly pays for itself over sevral turns. What are some basics to building an agro book, and what are some of your favorite combos that may not seem so obvious so I can take this to the next level and get my wheels turning. Thanks for all the help so far guys!I started watching the you tube channel and find it enjoyable, but time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, it's not unusual for a first play (and reasonably first few plays) to take 3-4 hours. But as you get to know your own spell book and likely strategies of your opponents, and as you become more aggressive (e.g. realize that often you're better off engaging on round 2 or 3 rather than spending a lot of early actions on rings and mana generators and equipment), the duration of your plays will surely drop. I still have some match-ups against experienced opponents that can take 2+ hours - if one or both of us is playing spell books designed to win a war of attrition - but, for example, my best mage (a Forcemaster) rarely takes more than 60-90 minutes to dispatch an opponent unless that opponent goes to great lengths to slow me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kunkel
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirCptnAwesome wrote:
I guess I'm not sure how to play aggressively. In a round you can only cast 2 spells mana permitting, and even if you pop out a spawn point you are down the mana it cost to play till it slowly pays for itself over sevral turns. What are some basics to building an agro book, and what are some of your favorite combos that may not seem so obvious so I can take this to the next level and get my wheels turning. Thanks for all the help so far guys!I started watching the you tube channel and find it enjoyable, but time consuming.

A big factor that extends the play time of Mage Wars for beginners is positioning. You need to get your mage and/or creatures into position in order to begin the attack, which is a big difference compared to just about every other card dueling game (with the exception of a few, like Summoner Wars). Spells like Teleport and Force Push can speed this up quite a bit. Teleporting even a relatively weak creature next to an unprepared enemy mage can really speed the game up, forcing them to deal with it while you keep the pressure up.

Solo or semi-solo mages, like Warlocks or Warlords, can be very quick also. They can move and quick cast equipment, ensuring by time that they get in range that they have strong armor and a weapon to begin the beat down. Add an enchantment or two and they can do a lot of damage very quickly. Just be prepared to deal with Dispels and Disintegrates. However, if you manage to get a blow or two in before being hit with the Disintegrate you have most likely gotten the temp advantage and, anticipating it properly, can keep up the pressure.

Beastmaster swarms can also work well, especially if you summon a few Fast creatures that can move twice and attack. Throw an enchantment to give them Charge and the incantation that lets them act twice in a round and you've once again gotten some solid pressure going.

Things like Walls, defensive Teleports, Block enchantments and such will slow you down, so have an idea on how to deal with those. However, a well played "fast" spell book can be very powerful and is well worth striving for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bailey
United States
West valley
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My force mage is also my fastest. I send thought spores out with force push and use a couple wall of pikes to foece the enemy wiz to me for a beating with my Galvitar, then push them away with another thought spore stationed in my zone. I have charm, mind control and suppression orb for control as needed Even that takes a bit though...

Anyone else willing to post any good "fast" books they use for inspiration? or at the very lease a good card combo or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Farkas

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
move two and a Quickcast lair near opponent or on top of Mage. Next turn deploy an animal from lair and keep being aggressive. Playing a warlock throw out battle forge close by equip up and start throwing curses at the Mage. Attack with fire balls and equipment.

In short try things out get to know your book and look for beginning openings and or ways you want to destroy your opponent with. Maybe it's building a ball of troops and setting up for one big attack. Maybe it's just rushing in and throwing two hurl boulders down. Next turn throw two more, if you have the mana of course. The great thing is you have tons of options and you can be as creative or straight forward as you like.

The more you play the faster he games will get. Like others stated knowing your book is half the battle. The other half is knowing what to do when your opponent does these things and how to counter. And that just takes more experience and plays to know what all the mages can do.

Last don't be afraid to build books and put spells that are out of school from your Mage: it offers a lot more flexibility and combinations that may catch your opponent off guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.