Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Devine
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I am working on a new game called Topiary that is coming together rather fast. It is a simple, yet strategic card placement game for 2-4 players. I am looking for initial feedback and seeing if there would be interest in a PNP here on BGG.

You can find a full PNP Here >>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjh1t1f3nx1s48e/TopiaryPNP_2.0.pdf...

Or read them here

Topiary ~ By Danny Devine ~ 2-4 Players ~ 20 minutes

The Topiary garden in the center of town is a sight to behold. You and your family have traveled quite far just to sit relax and take in the beauty of these works of art.

Components
40 Card Topiary Deck - 8 suits ranked 1-5
32 Meeples - 8 meeples in 4 colors

Set-Up
Each player takes a set of meeples depending on the number of players.
2 players - 8 Meeples Each
3 players - 5 Meeples Each
4 players - 4 Meeples Each

If you are playing with less than 4 players, remove any 1 complete suit of topiary cards.

Shuffle the Topiary Deck then deal a 5 x 5 grid of cards face down, turn the center card face up.

Next Deal each player a hand of 3 cards face down, these are kept private from other players.

Any leftover cards are returned to the box.

Game-play
The player who last trimmed a plant goes first, then play continues clockwise.

On your turn, you will take the following actions in order.

PLACE: On your turn you must place one of your Meeples next to any row or column of cards. Your meeple can be placed on either side, but can never be placed where someone already has a meeple.

PICK: Next, you may choose any face-down card in that row or column and add it to your hand. You do not have to take a card, you may choose to end your turn here.

PLANT: Finally, place a card from your hand face up into the empty spot you just created on the grid.

Your turn is now over, play continues clockwise until all players have placed all of their meeples.

Scoring

Your hand - Players start by scoring their hands. Place any cards from your hand face up in front of you if any of your meeples have line of sight to a topiary of the same suit in a higher rank.

Line of Sight
Each player earns points based on the Topiaries that each of their Meeples can see. A meeple can see the closest topiary to them, and any larger (bigger number) topiaries behind that one in their row or column. Face-down cards are considered “0” and do not block views. Topiaries of the same number or higher will block the view of the ones behind them. In the example below, Red can see the 3 Point Icosahedron, 4 point Pom Pom and 5 point Spiral. She sees through the face-down card and cannot see the 4 point Icosahedron because the 4 point Pom Pom is blocking the view.

Match Bonus
Each meeple also earns one bonus point for every topiary of the same suit they can see repeated. In the example below, Blue can see a 2, 3 & 5 point Dinosaur which earns him 3 Bonus Points. He can also see a 4 point Swan but cannot see the 5 Point one at the end of the row so the Swan does not score Bonus points.

Here is an example of a finished 2 player game, each meeple is kindly calling out their score to show you what a final game might look like.
The player with the highest total score is the winner. If tied the winner is the player that scored the most points from their hand. If still tied players share the victory.

Thanks for taking a look, like I said, this game developed quickly and is testing well. I am close to needing outside testing. Getting my rules out to eyes other than my own is step one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Devine
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Topiary - A simple card placement game
My tests are going well so far.

Currently 2 players is my favorite way to play, but 3 and 4 player games are still enjoyable.

I was asked on twitter about a solo mode which is probably what I will be thinking about all day.

Also I have a PnP available for anyone that wants to take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjh1t1f3nx1s48e/TopiaryPNP_2.0.pdf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Re: Topiary Rules First Draft
I think the game is adorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Devine
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

I am having fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Devine
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have gotten a lot of positive feedback, especially from couples.

I clarified a few things in the rules based on initial feedback, which I greatly appreciate.

I am in a place with the game now that I have to realize this game isn't going to be for everybody. Which is fine. I have players that love the game for what it is, and others wanting it to be more. I am trying to figure out who my audience really is, and what game do they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.