6 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Aedui conundrum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Whittaker
Canada
flag msg tools
Today I was able to get a first play of my copy of the game with three friends, trying out the 54 BC scenario. Sadly, we did not complete the game, for reasons I will describe below.

I was the Aedui.

Card 1, the Romans chose to March; the Arverni rallied.

Card 2, I was staring at Drought as the first eligible player. Card 3 was Convictolitavis. After much consideration, I reluctantly passed on Drought to retain eligibility to gain the capability enhancing Suborn and likewise prevent the Belgae player from hammering me with the negative option of making all my resources costs double.

Unfortunately, this led to a premature fiasco for the Romans from which they never recovered, as Drought led to the devastation of Sequani. Further clever play by the Arverni led to Roman supply lines being completely cut off for the first Winter, at which point the Roman player's morale was so low we called the game.

What would you have done as the Aedui as they stared at two unpalatable choices at the beginning of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I follow. How does the devastation of Sequani lead to disaster for the Romans?

Since Cesar and legions start north they do not need to march through Sequani. Even if they want to go south instead of using the supply line in the winter, a friendly Aedui (i.e. you) can just allow them to march through Aedui without harassment. Cesar's ability to march three regions is great for that kind of stuff.

Could you also please describe the "clever Arverni play" that lead to the Romans being cut off? Did you just let them take over Aedui and Mandubii? Especially with improved suborn so early, at worst they should be under no control going into the first winter.

Just to make sure; you are aware that devastation does not block supply lines, right?

And to answer your actual question: Always go for Convictolitavis if it is up that early!
Passing to get it isn't really unpalatable IMO. Drought isn't even that bad, everybody (including the player executing the event) loses resources and at worst you lose one piece. I would have had no hesitations about passing on it for the capability.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't have worried about the Belgae picking the negative capability. In my experience it isn't worth it for the Belgae to mess with the Aedui since they have minimal interaction.
The Arverni on should consider it thoug since they tend to be the ones at the receiving end of suborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Whittaker
Canada
flag msg tools
Our reading of the rules was that devastation does in fact block line of supply. If we got that rule incorrect, I am certain our Roman player would not have been so demoralized, and the game would have continued.

The clever Arverni play involved successfully devastating Provincia in a large battle, and use of German migration and activity to forestall tracing line of supply via Suebi.

As the Aedui I was in decent shape and in control of my "home" areas. I offered to subsidize Rome's coffers.

A significant reason Rome was in such trouble was that the drought crippled his finances; once he paid four scarce resources to march north from Sequani to attack the Belgae, Rome had only one or two resources remaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
godeater wrote:
Our reading of the rules was that devastation does in fact block line of supply. If we got that rule incorrect, I am certain our Roman player would not have been so demoralized, and the game would have continued.

You did get it incorrect, I'm afraid. Supply Lines are defined in 3.2.1 Recruit:
Quote:
SUPPLY LINE: A Supply Line is a chain of adjacent Regions reaching
a border with Cisalpina (1.4.2), each Region in the chain—including
where the action is to occur—either having No Control or
under Control (1.6) of a Faction that agrees to the Supply Line at the
moment that the action’s Region is selected. Germans never agree
(3.4.5).
No mention of Devastation anywhere in this definition; all that matters is Control (or lack thereof).

godeater wrote:
The clever Arverni play involved successfully devastating Provincia in a large battle, and use of German migration and activity to forestall tracing line of supply via Suebi.
Hm. If this was the 54 BC scenario, how did the Arverni Devastate Provincia before the first Winter (since Vercingetorix doesn't enter play until then)?

Quote:
As the Aedui I was in decent shape and in control of my "home" areas. I offered to subsidize Rome's coffers.

A significant reason Rome was in such trouble was that the drought crippled his finances; once he paid four scarce resources to march north from Sequani to attack the Belgae, Rome had only one or two resources remaining.

The Seize Command is very useful in this situation; remember that the Romans don't need Control to get +2 Resources per Subdued Tribe or Roman Ally. (They do need Control for Dispersal though, i.e., the +6 Resources option.)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Oerjan, it seems that there were a couple rules mistakes made.
That's not uncommmon in a first game though, I think even after the 3rd game I discovered that I'd been doing some stuff not quite right. There's a lot to learn and remember

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Whittaker
Canada
flag msg tools
Typo on my part. We may have erred with respect to the supply rules, but we were in fact playing the 53 BC scenario, which begins with Vercingetorix in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.